“Doing it right” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Sebring, Florida
“Doing it right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

After checking into a hotel down the block, I retraced my route to this enticing looking establishment. It appeared to be - and was - exactly what I was looking for. Something low key where a single diner wouldn't attract undue attention and not the standard roadside franchised fare. The hostess/waitress was attentive without being overly so. The food was EXCELLENT! I had the fried oyster dinner with cheese grits and broccoli. First, the oysters were perfectly prepared. Secondly, I was nearly as excited about the grits as the main attraction. I travel all over the south and have not come across other restaurants offering this southern staple. The steamed broccoli was lightly dressed in a garlic butter sauce and the accompanying hush puppies were wonderful. Kudos, too, to the barkeep who made my cocktail with just the right amount of bourbon. Not too strong, not too light. Just what I was looking for after a long day of navigating post holiday interstate traffic. The atmosphere and the menu fit the name. I do not hand out glowing reviews indiscriminately. I am very pleased and will return if I am in the area again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Auburn, Alabama
“Best Fresh Seafood in Auburn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Recently made our first trip to KJ's and it was a very pleasant surprise. Excellent food and good service; they seemed genuinely glad we were there and went out of their way to provide a few extras. We had the potato skins, fried shrimp po boy and fried catfish and all the portions were large, with plenty of sides. Catfish and shrimp were fresh as well, not some frozen portions like too many restaurants in the area served. The best part of all was the dessert--the home-made Alabama mud pie was not to be missed. Don't mistake KJ's for just another one of the mediocre restaurants that have come and gone at this location in the past. We almost did and now we are so glad we gave it a try.

• Visited December 2012
Winter Park, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“K&J's Fish Camp and Oyster Bar--Fun and Fine Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I enjoyed my first experience at K&J's in Auburn after that sad game between the War Eagles and the Dawgs. Actually, it was after half time I strolled in. The place was quiet, surprisingly, but pleasant. I ordered fried flounder and the trimmings and enjoyed every bite. As the game concluded, more patrons filed in and the homey, rustic establishment took on a lively, friendly manner. I'd go back anytime I was in the area.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“Cheap food, tastes ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We visited after a home game and it was easy to get a table for our party of 9 which was nice. Our server was great and very attentive. They were out of the two entrees I tried to order, so I ended up with the surf and turf. The steak was like a hockey puck with no seasoning and the shrimp lacked seasoning too. Since the price tag was only 12 dollars I cant be upset. I would like to see more variety on their menu. I wont be running back

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Auburn, Alabama
“Value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

KJ's opened just before the deluge of students. We visited on Saturday night (8/11) and all of us (6 plus a baby) had a good meal. We cheked out the fried catfish (delicious), frog legs (really good), fried shrimp (big and good), grilled shrimp (very nice), and the seafood/captian's platter (sorry can't remember the name)--TONS of food and the fired oysters were superb (two of us each ate one to try them out.

The sides are not just the usual (fries and cole slaw). We were able to get fried okra, baked potato, potato casserole, greens, and other stuff.

If the food quality and portions stay as we experienced them, this restaurant should last a while.

• Visited August 2012