“Location is the ONLY thing this hotel has...” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   241 South College Street, Auburn, AL 36830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Auburn
A TripAdvisor Member
“Location is the ONLY thing this hotel has...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2004

Wow, whoever wrote the last review was obviously on some sort of different planet... After reading that review, I thought that perhaps the AU Hotel was worth a try. When I arrived, there is indeed construction going on inside and out. The outside is atrocius, but that is expected during a total renovation. I was checked in with no major trouble, but 3 employees passed me in the lobby without greeting me or acknowledging me ; I was lost as to where the front desk was as I had to come into a side door b/c of construction. After getting my room, there was nothing impressive about it. I would just as rather stayed in a Comfort Inn or Super 8. The restaraunt was closed for renovation as well, and the front desk clerk could not really give me any recommendations for eating places nearby. After walking 1 block, I discovered almost 20 restaraunts within 3 blocks! Hopefully with this renovation they will bring in better training for the employees as well. Don't expect anything special out of this hotel besides the fact that is located directly adjacent to the University. There are far better hotels in the area if you want a nice room and good service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2003

What a great experience! I didn't know what to expect from this place after being told about the construction when I made my reservation, but I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised! Even under major renovation, the service I received and the interaction with staff in many different deparments was FAR above the level that I have experienced in many other hotels in the world, or any other business for that matter. The lobby is gorgeous and provides a glimpse into what can be expected when the renovations are complete. There is no construction in the rooms so I wasn't disturbed at all.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2003

The college I was consulting for recomended this hotel to me and it is the last time I take someone else hotel recomendation. I arrived at the hotel to find it in the process of a major exterior renovation.
Apparently there is a mold infestation in the walls that if inhaled can cause legionair's disease. All of the brick is being pulled off and replaced. No one ever mentioned this throughout the reservation process, and no one appologized to me in person for the annoyance.
Unfortunatly its the guest rooms that are more in need of a renovation than the exterior. My room was old and tired looking, as if it had not been updated scine the hotel first opened fifeteen years ago. And I was staying in their presidential suite. The overall service was polite but was by no means anything special. I've had the same level of service at a Hampton Inn in Dublin, Georgia. Travelers would do well to book elsewhere, especially considering the variety of hotels in this town.

Been to The Hotel at Auburn University? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Hotel at Auburn University

Address: 241 South College Street, Auburn, AL 36830
Location: United States > Alabama > Auburn
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Auburn
Hotel Class:3.5 star — The Hotel at Auburn University 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelClick, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Hotel at Auburn University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hotel Auburn University
University Hotel Auburn

If you own or manage The Hotel at Auburn University, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.