“This place is doomed!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Atmore
Wellington
“This place is doomed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

Despite being a beautifully designed hotel casino with modern appointments, this was my first and last visit to the Wind Creek. It seemed a relative bargain at $119 for a Saturday night, but I was sadly mistaken. Upon arrival, I was aggravated to find the nearly empty parking lot adjacent to the hotel reserved for the ‘platinum’ casino members. Other hotel guests were forced to valet, circle for the few decent spots, hoof it from the back forty, or bust through the gate arm (which some did). No garage for anyone. I was checked-in by a pleasant front desk staffer who provided friendly, albeit incorrect information. I arrived at my room to find the contemporary and fashionable features they advertise- top notch bed, 42” HDTV, free internet, and an incredible bathroom, however, the modern flush toilet would jettison its contents up and outward, before down, so use caution. Off to the casino- I pressed the elevator button, and when the doors opened there were three Poarch Creek policemen and a couple security guards wrestling a man to the floor. Everyone including the assailant stopped and stared at me wide-eyed for a few seconds until the doors closed. “No problem, I’ll catch the next one.” After arriving at the casino I immediately noticed the depressing atmosphere due to the sketchy people hovering around, poor smoke filtration, few waitresses, weak machines with little variety, and the local clientele feeding the slots with their public assistance money. I played a while, broke even, and went over to the 24 hour Grill Café for a hamburger. I experienced shockingly slow service. I thought management would want to get you fed and back out on the casino floor instead of wasting an hour and ten minutes for a hamburger. I’d seen enough and went back to the room for sleep. At 4:46 am, I was abruptly awoken by the gentlemen (I use the term with reckless abandon) next door who were having a heated argument over who’s turn it was to pay for the crack they had purchased. After an hour, I was considering mediating the dispute before the inevitable gunshots tore through the paper-thin walls, but fortunately they settled the argument on their own accord. I have never smelled crack before, so I can only speculate if the acrid stench (a combination of burning rubber, floor cleaner, citrus, sugar, and vomit) that began wafting in through the door we shared was indeed crack, but I was able to rapidly fall asleep. Anyway, I woke up on time via the high-tech alarm clock, quickly showered under the dual heads using the signature line of bath products, and packed up. As I left the Atmore, I was greeted by a courteous valet who asked me “how was your stay.” Great, thank you! I hope my experience was unique.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

240 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

This was our first trip to Wind Creek Hotel and Casino. Everything was excellent! Every staff member was extremely courteous. The room was so comfortable and CLEAN! We had lunch at the buffet and breakfast at the
Grill (huge portions) The food was excellent at both. One thing I would definitely advise everyone to do is go to the cooking school! Chef Ben was great! We prepared a gourmet meal and throughly enjoyed eating our masterpiece along with the wine they served. It was so much fun! The kitchen facilities were "chef quality". Can't wait to go back in warmer weather and enjoy the pool facilities and outdoor area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

The nite my husband I stayed, he had the best time. My husband stated that the food was better than any other casino restaurant we've been to. The site was clean the employees very friendly. My husband enjoyed so much, we have just planned a nother trip for Valentine weekn.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

a few of my friend and i went on what we called a ladies nite out and had a blast,untill they cut my friends off on their alchohol, but other than that it was great

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Montgomery
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I only spent a night but I intend to return to Wind Creek when I am in the area. The view of the grounds from my room was awesome. Check in was a breeze. Staff was friendly and the toiletries and chocolates were top notch. The room was fabulous in appointments and quite comfortable. The Fire Steakhouse was pricey but I got my money's worth! The staff kept interesting samples/appetizers coming and the entree tied for the best steak I have ever eaten, and I travel around the country. My breakfast the next morning was excellent. Everything was clean, attractive and inviting. I have recommended it to all of my family and friends. Keith Sweat performed in the amphitheater the following week and I couldn't be there. With acts like this, I will be there next time. Loved it!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

The Fire Restaurant makes this trip worth the out of the way drive. Excellant in every way...but be prepared to pay for it. The wait staff was one of the best we have experienced in years....and the food met all of our expectations and then some.
The hotel was spotless clean in all areas, everyone we spoke with were helpful and friendly. The Casino was only machines which was not our favorite form of gambling but overall.....a fun time and will return for The Fire!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario,CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed here with my husband for a night after driving from California for a relaxing time. The spa was beautiful and Stephanie who gave us the massage was spectacular and worth making an appointment with. After the great time in the spa I expected the service to continue into the hotel. As soon as you walk in the cigarette smoke hits you. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, but if you request anything from the staff prepare to be disappointed. I had to make several requests from items that should have been in the room repeatedly before they were made and staff in the casino might as well be prison guards. I went down to have a little fun and waited for over an hour for assistance after one of the slot machines malfunctioned. I attempted to make a complaint about the service in the casino and was told they were too busy to hear my complaint and that I should call back later and they could not be bothered to call me back. Overall, if you want a pretty hotel and have no contact with the staff this hotel will be great for you. I will not be staying here again. In these tough times I'd rather spend my money somewhere that appreciates my business and takes the time to show it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Wind Creek Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!