“Bad Parking, Bad Service, Greedy and Immature” 1 of 5 stars

Wind Creek Casino & Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   303 Poarch Road, Atmore, AL 36502   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Atmore
Iowa City, Iowa
“Bad Parking, Bad Service, Greedy and Immature”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed at the Wind Creek hotel for two nights while visiting family in the area for the holidays. I booked a suite months ago from their online Web site directly with the hotel. They charged my credit card for the full amount immediately upon booking. I don't know what ever happened to simply making a reservation, I guess everyone wants their money NOW!

Parking is an experience as there is no close free self-parking unless you are a "platinum" club member. This might work well for casino customers but not for hotel guests who are staying several days.

Upon first entering the establishment the heavy smoke smell hits you. I've been in many casinos over the years and this place just does not know how to have the right equipment in place to handle the smoke.

We waited in line at the hotel registration desk for quite a bit of time. Once we got someone to help check us in, there was confusion on the room (that we already paid for). They put us into a standard king room when we had already paid, in advance for a suite. They were able to fix this oversight, however they then tried to charge us for the rooms again and I had to state that we already paid for the room in advance. We then were asked which flavor of soap we wanted for the room ... WHAT??? Let's see, we were not given this option when booking online, we did not know, nor were told what "flavors" were available ... and ... we had all of our luggage to take up to the room in our arms ... so ... why couldn't they just have soap already in the room? She decided to just pick something for us.

We had to sign something about paying $2.50 for lost keys and for keys that were not returned. What a load of crap ... $2.50 for a plastic card!

We made it to the elevators which we found is where they must pump the smoke into it was so thick and heavy.

Surprisingly, the room floor and the room itself did not smell like smoke.

The room was nice but not well maintained. It became clear that they did not know how to run and maintain a hotel. We would have been better off, and saved money, by just staying at the Holiday Inn or one of the other hotels nearby.

We ordered room service for breakfast the next morning by putting the door hanger out with what we wanted on it and what time we wanted it delivered. They called the room 5 minutes before breakfast was to be delivered to say that they could not do it because we did not have a credit card on file with the front desk. When we checked in, the lady took a card from me so I don't know why it was not on file. It's okay, I thought, because I had enough cash on me to cover the room service bill. They told me that they cannot accept cash or credit card in the room and that my only option was to put a card on file with the front desk. This was weird because when I filled out the breakfast order it asked how you would pay for it and cash was an option.

I called down to the front desk, gave them my credit card number over the phone, then I had to call room service back. Then they had to cook the breakfast and then bring it up. So much for getting your order delivered to you on time when you ordered it the night before!

Next time I'm in town, I'll stay at a chain hotel where they know how to run the place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
WindCreekAtmore, Hotel Director at Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your review of Wind Creek Casino & Hotel. Needless to say, we are disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with the property. As the Hotel Director, I would like to personally extend an apology for any inconvenience you experienced. Moreover, I would like to reach out to you via another channel to speak in more detail about your visit. Please be assured that we take great pride in providing exemplary service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Toano, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Dinner at the Wind Creek Casino Fireside restaurant was top notch. The food, service, and selection are fantastic. The twelve-ounce prime rib was cooked to perfection. The evening was topped off with their signature chocolate decadence dessert. A dessert worth saving room for. This place is on my return list.

• Stayed December 2013
WindCreekAtmore, Manager at Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words! I have passed along your review to Gene and his team members. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I must first say that I have been going to Windcreek Atmore, Weptumka and Tallapoosa for 4 years now. My parents are even Platinum card holders....We enjoy the rooms at Atmore and have typically had a good experience. We went the week of Thanksgiving (my husband and I and 7 other family members). NOT ONE of us won anything at all and we all spent significant amounts of money. The VIP host was kind enough to send over comps for the Essentials shop which helped but I had spent significant amounts of money and drove 3.5 hours for nothing! Additionally, the rooms are not as nice as they used to be (everyone in my family agrees). They are clean but not being well maintained. The sinks clogged easily and the shower never really gets hot. The front desk service is still great but we have made a family pact to never return to Atmore. In a few days the Weptumka location is opening but I don't have much of a desire to go considering my experience at Atmore. Additionally, I received a card in the mail for $10 free play....After my husband and I lost well over $2K at Atmore. I cannot imagine how much my parents lost. It will be a VERY long time before I return. I will most likely take the drive to Biloxi to for variety and better odds.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
WindCreekAtmore, Guest Relations Manager at Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
We would love to discuss your last trip with us in more detail. Please email me your contact at info@pcigaming.com with the title TripAdvisor so that I can touch base with you! Thank you!
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We live locally so we have visited here many times. We drop more than $3600 a year here yet the comps are laughable and the winnings are very rare. Yes, we can usually play all evening on our $300 loss budget but still have to put up w/nasty bathrooms, poor drink service and smokers practically sitting in your lap.. On our last visit, after playing out our budget we had pay for my meal which was served to me along w/swarming flies and knats while listening to baby screaming behind us. Look, I understand babies and young parents who are too ignorant to handle them, but the child was out of control and the wait staff continued to seat people around them. Go to Mississippi, The I P is much more accommodating. It's a shame because we love to play and the casino is so close.

Room Tip: They do not offer me comp rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WindCreekAtmore, Manager at Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent experience. Your feedback is important and most appreciated. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience you or your party experienced in relation to the sinks not draining properly and the water temperature in the shower being inadequate. Please be assured that we have taken corrective action to remedy these issues. Thank you for the kind remarks regarding guestroom cleanliness and great service at the Front Desk as we pride ourselves providing exceptional service.
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was my second visit to the casino , but the first time I had stayed at the Wind Creek Casino & hotel . The first visit at the casino I had lost over $1000. but did not use my card the whole night. 10 days later I received a card from Casino offering me $335.back in free play plus two complimentary nights anytime. ( which is a fine offer ) I went back on 12/08/13 and had a very nice room with a beautiful night view of a winter wonderland , Christmas lights that lit up the pool area . The beds are very comfortable , for casino hotels , and the service in all departments I give a 4 star , I won $900. then on the same machine $1,500. twice that day . Where I went wrong is opening my mouth to a patron with a Black card on just how much of this money I lost on a particular machine , I went to the bathroom , come back and found out she was putting a hold on a machine that I was determined to win back $1400 that this machine had taken from me. Unfortunately , I did not get any of the money I lost in the machine , when she returned , she didn't win from it either ( I was glad to hear ) Over 2 and a half days I was very lucky at this casino . All together I won over $ 8,500. but I gave 70% of it back . I had a great time doing so !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
WindCreekAtmore, Manager at Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
I am glad that you had a good time with us and that you enjoyed your stay. Holding a machine is one of the perks we give our most loyal guests. Thank you for your kind words! Hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The casino is a great rest point during a long road trip. Plenty of slot machines for all and many betting options. A great way to stretch your legs.

Very clean environment and not too smoky as with some casinos. The rest rooms on the other hand were not very clean and very disappointing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments! I have sent them on to the proper departments so they can evaluate their processes. Hope to see you again soon!
Cedartown, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was our second time to stay at the hotel. It is the by far the best hotel that we have ever stayed at, but I had a few complaints. There are no handicapped parking spaces near the entrance of the hotel. There are some at the entrance of the casino, but that was too far for my husband to walk. I could not believe that the rooms have showers and no tubs. Everything seemed to be of the best quality, but the toilet tissue was flimsy and rough. Just these few complaints. The staff was great and the rooms were fantastic,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay Mrs. Amy!!! Thanks for pointing out some areas that we can improve on! Hope to see you again soon!

Been to Wind Creek Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!