“Taste Buffet - Used to be great, heading down hill.” 3 of 5 stars

Wind Creek Casino & Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   303 Poarch Road, Atmore, AL 36502   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Atmore
Georgia
“Taste Buffet - Used to be great, heading down hill.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I travel to Las Vegas about once a year for work, so I'm familiar with casino hotels and their buffets. We eat at the Taste Buffet several times a year when visiting family in the area. It's always been top-notch and we've really enjoyed it - until the last two times.

We ate here in early December and again in late December. Both times the food was disappointing: too many items were cold (fried chicken, soup) and too many items tasted as if they'd been left out too long. The fried okra was clammy and barely warm. My husband's baked fish was barely warm. Spinach leaves were completely wilted. My son's pork chop was so dry he only ate two bites and my daughter's Chinese spring rolls were flat-out soggy. We all tried the shrimp, which was completely overcooked and chewy tough. We left so many items on our plates.

While the food does have good taste, the issue seems to be leaving it out under the lights for too long and not keeping it fresh.

A highlight? The dessert bar. The chocolate fountain is a favorite of my children, and the coconut macaroons are delicious.

Service is always solid with our drinks refilled and plates removed in a timely manner.

Word on the local street is that the food quality is heading downhill and everyone's starting to notice. We saw it (and tasted it) for ourselves. We probably won't return until our local family can confirm a change in food quality.

• Stayed December 2012

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Brookesville, fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We took our son here on our way home visiting a college campus as he recently turned 21. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the room was beautiful. We had been driving all night and were exhausted so they let us check in early. You also get a choice from three scents of soap and since I like the flowery one, they let us have 2 - one for me and one for the boys. There are plenty of slots and the buffet was fabulous. We went at off times so it was like having the whole restaurant to ourselves. I loved the Asian station. The room was gorgeous, the bed super comfy, and we were overlooking their Christmas light display. Since it was our first time, we also got a food credit and free slot play. The only negative is that they do not have any table and my son was looking forward to roulette. They are also building a bowling alley.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pine Brook, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel/casino is very spa focused. They have a wonderful, newly added spa and upon check in offer you your choice of scents for your complimentary bath soaps and shampoos. The spa itself includes a small gift shop and cafe. The food there was a healthy well priced option, I could have eaten here everyday of my 5 day stay. My group also signed up for a cooking class done on the spa property that was extremely fun and well worth the $60 per person. We made a great meal and drank wine all night before sitting down to enjoy our culinary accomplishment. The other restaurant options within the casino weren't bad. The steakhouse was wonderful but pricey and the luncheon had extremely slow service. The coffee shop was great and I enjoyed an unexpectedly delicious latte each morning. Overall a great experience I would reccommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Hotel: My husband and I stayed in the Level 15 specialty rooms, and we enjoyed it. Everyone kept asking how we liked it, and telling us how special the 15th floor rooms are- made to feel like you are staying in a spa. I can't compare it to the other rooms, but our room was nice and clean, the bed was COMFY, complete with soft and firm pillows. We didn't have a special view, so I can't speak to that. The website said that there would be robes and slippers in the rooms, but we didn't have any slippers. Not a big deal to me, I don't think I would have worn them anyhow. Check-in was fast, smooth and easy.

Spa: This spa was very nice. The hospitality was top notch; everyone was so nice, warm, and welcoming to us. The decor was amazing...I'm still in awe of how nicely decorated the place was! The hot tubs are separated for male and females so I couldn't enjoy it with my husband. The hot tub was also relatively small, it can fit about 4 people comfortably. They had a coed area which has a sitting area and an outdoor warm (almost lukewarm) pool. It was ok, but if it was any cooler outside, I wouldn't have enjoyed it. We got massages and they were nice.

Casino: I'm not much of a gambler, so I don't have much to say. There were barely any bartenders walking around to offer drinks....I think we only saw one during the several hour span that we were there.

Food: We ate breakfast in the grill. The food was good, the service was basic. When we entered, there was no one at the front stand to assist us. There were two ladies standing at a counter off to the side talking, and when we asked to look at a menu, one lady just pointed to a corner and it took me a moment to find the menus. I wasn't happy about that because we were in a rush. We also ate food from the spa menu. It was sooooo good! In my opinion, it's probably the best food at Wind Creek ( not including the fancy steak house restaurant- that seems nice, but we didn't want to spend that much for a meal) I didn't think that my husband would find something that he would enjoy, because it was ultra healthy food, but we both really enjoyed our meal.

Overall, this place would make a great girls getaway in my opinion. I would say a couples getaway also, but it would have been better if we could have enjoyed more of the spa (hot tubs) together.

Room Tip: The level 15 rooms are non-smoking and have air purifiers.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WindCreek, Manager at Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for taking time to provide us feedback on your stay on our "Escape" 15th floor. We apologize for the misrepresentation of slippers being available, we will be addressing this immediately and appreciate you bringing this to our attention!!
Tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

What I am reviewing is the spa. I traveled with my sister to have a nice relaxing day of spa with lunch and a little gambling but what I got was the worst massage of my life. The spa facilities itself look nice and they offer a nice array of services but I wonder if the spa technician I had was experienced? I wanted to leave the table within the first 15 minutes when she did nothing but massage my shoulders within a 3 inch radius - no where else! Then she proceeded to push all of her weight with one of her arms on the back of my neck and massage with the other one down my back and put even more pressure on my lower back - OUCH!! I am surprised I am not in traction now - I definitely left feeling more sore than one should feel after a good massage.
(I get frequent massages and this one sucked!!) And the cherry on top was the cold shower and no hot water to wash off the oil slick they put all over your face, hair and body. The casino is ok but stay away from the spa.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
First, thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your stay with us! We regret that your spa visit, however, wasn't enjoyable and relaxing!! Wind Creek will do what is acceptable to make this up to you. Please contact me further so that we can discuss your spa service and I can learn more details to provide to our Spa management regarding your experience with our massage therapist. You can contact me, Samantha Miller, at 866-946-3360 or smiller@pcigaming.com.
Montgomery
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We arrived on the night before Thanksgiving for a change from the usual. Check in was easy wit plenty of desk help for the crowd checking. This was our first visit and I had requested First Visit special. This included the room (beautiful), gaming credit and food credit for a total of $200. The staff was friendly and the casino was clean with helpful folks all around. We were on the 6th floor and looked out over the Christmas lite display, really pretty. We will go back!

Room Tip: Ask for high floors, quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Al
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have played in casinos in Reno and Lake Tahoe. I have also played the Mississippi casinos in Buloxi, Philadelphia, and Tunica. Based on my experiences of those casinos and the 3 Creek casinos I've played in Alabama, there is a noticeable difference. In general, I don't win near as often at the Creek Casinos as I do anywhere else. They are the only game in town, so to speak, and it shows. Yes, I know, the odds are stacked against me regardless, and no one is forcing me to go in a casino and play. I post these comments based on my comparisons. There are some machines that you will find in every casino I've been in, such as the Wheel of Fortune machines. The difference between winning in other casinos on those machines and the Creek Casinos is like night and day. I can't speak for the hotel at Wind Creek because I've never stayed there. But since the vast majority of people go to casinos to gamble, I thought it necessary to warn you about the vast difference in your odds of winning at the Creek Casinos.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wind Creek Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!