“Health Hazard” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Athens

Super 8 Athens
You added Super 8 Athens to your Saves list
Super 8 Athens
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1325 Highway 72 East, I-65 Exit 351 Westside, Athens, AL 35611 (Formerly Travelodge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights, Save 25%
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Kokomo, Indiana
“Health Hazard”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on June 30th, 2012 on our way from Indianapolis to New Orleans. We checked in after dinner and got settled in around 9:30 or so. The overall cleanliness of the hotel lobby was awful, and it smelled bad. We should have left then, but it was late and we we aren't from the area. So we got to the room and pulled off the comforter and to our horror, it had a large area of what appeared to be blood on the underneath of it. Not to mention that the brown blanket that covers the sheets had burn holes in it...We laughed it off and went and got our sleeping bags which we slept on top of for the night. We got up and showered first thing in the morning and found that our towels had holes in them as well...I wouldn't recommend this hotel if it were the last place with a room...We left first thing in the AM...without the free breakfast. We made mention of the this to the front desk clerk upon us leaving but it really didn't seem to be that big of a deal to her. We won't stay at a Super 8 again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 201, it's right by the outside door...we heard people come in and out all nigh...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This hotel is nothing more or less than you would expect for $59 per night. The lobby does smell of smoke but they do offer nonsmoking rooms. The cleanliness of our room was not impressive but was not horrible. There was quite a bit of mold above the bathroom door. We stayed to sleep late at night and left first thing in the morning. This is not a place I would recommend staying at for any length if time.

• Stayed June 2012
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My Flight from Detroit to Pensacola was cancelled, so the airline agreed to refund my money, give me a voucher and reimburse me for a rental car if I volunteered to drive rather than be reaccommodated, as the other flights were sold out. I agreed, and drove but since I was by myself, I found myself not being able to keep my eyes open any longer, and still had about 6 hours to go. I happened along this super 8 CONVENIENTLY located just off the exit ramp from I-65. I didnt have a reservation, and the front desk clerk was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. I was trying to check in at 530am Local time, he was very understanding and empathetic. Although they did charge me for a full night rental, I have to say it was well worth it, and a pleasant surprise I didnt expect much, with the cost of the room being only $50, but the Bed was EXTREMELY comfortable, the room was clean, the fridge kept my drinks cold, and the water in the shower was hot. It didnt have many ammenities, and the view was of the parking lot to a hardee's, but it DEFINITELY suited my needs, and the Staff was extremely friendly. I would DEFINITELY stay here again, especially if I was in need of a clean place to crash, with a more than adequate continental breakfast. Thanks Super 8!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Lawrenceville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

The staff was very friendly, bed was pretty comfortable but unfortunately unless you just have to stay here, I would not recommend it. The hotel is not in great shape and still allows smoking so that hits you the minute you start walking down the hall. We only stayed here because it was late, we were tired, and didn't make reservations and everything else was full.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Just had to travel that way to pick up a new car and needed a place to stay for the night. I thought the price was slightly high at around $64 for the night with taxes but needed some sleep to keep the family safe. My biggest complaint was that our room was at the end of the hall and we heard the exit door slamming all night. The floors seemed to transmit a lot of noise when you walked across them. But the place gave us all a clean room and a nice place to sleep. the free breakfast was a nice start to the rest of our travels.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Pensacola, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed here on 12/10/11.
In checking in the lady at the front desk had a toddler that kept getting into everything. After I got our key and parked, got our luggage we started to our room. At that time the fire alarm went off. It seems this woman had supper cooking on the stove and forgot about it and it caught on fire. We had fire trucks and smoke allover the motel.
We finally went to our room and it was not clean as it should have been. The vent in their/heater had mold in the filter.
At midnight someone tried to open our door, we had the safety lock on. It was a man from the front office saying he thought the room was vacant and was going to turn on the heat for new guest. I waited and called the front desk and he told me his wife did not mark the room as occupied. I was not given an official so this could have been a scam for them tp rip off Super 8.
The next morning we went down to get coffee and cereal and men were walking around in their PJs. We got our luggage and left before we ran into some cows running the halls.
This place should be shut down by the health department.

Room Tip: Don't go to this place
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Athens, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel is inexpensive and it shows. This hotel is right by a busy highway. Our clothes were left on a chair and the window airconditioner got them all damp. We had the end room where the staff go out and smoke, noisey and nasty.

• Stayed May 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
BEST WESTERN Athens Inn
3.5 of 5 stars 82 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Athens I-65
Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Athens

Been to Super 8 Athens? Share your experiences!