“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Columbus, MS
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

This hotel was wonderful! Everyone was extremely friendly and went out of their way to ensure my happiness. The housekeeping staff were very friendly as well. The hotel was very clean during my entire visit (8 nights.) They had coffee and cookies in the lobby each night for guests and a full hot breakfast buffet for guests. One day, I was in a rush and left my pajamas on the bed. The maid was kind enough to fold them for me and leave them on the made bed. They change the towels, soap and shampoo daily, unlike some other hotels. Great stay!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Des Moines, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

We got the king suite, roomy and very comfortable & clean. (We happened to be sick and was able to sleep a full 12 hours without interruption/noise.) The area has everything that you'd need for an overnight stay. We will definitely return when in the area again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

A nice HI Express. B'fast starts a 6:00 versus 6:30 as noted in most recent review. The restaurant selections are with in easy walking distance, but I recommend "Clarks" restaurent whic is east of the hotel across the interstate and behing the Raceway gas station.

Stayed October 2008
Moultrie, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

In Athens for business and room was booked by local agent on our behalf. Check-in was smooth and pleasant.

Plenty of covered canopy space for unloading luggage, at least three luggage trollys available at all times. Coffee, cookies, and newspapers in a small lobby (just two chairs plus table and lamp). The lounge is open for breakfast from 6:30 to 9:30 with ample supplies and seating. I was tied up with phone calls one morning and dashed down at close to 10:00. The gals were cleaning and clearing but both welcomed me to grab whatever was left (which was more than enough).

The place is fairly new and everything works as advertised. The a/c was wonderfully cool and continuous which is so great for a quiet night's sleep. My room was next to the elevator and ice machine but I never heard either in the four days I stayed. There was a group of families in for a local baseball game but other than the usual hallway conversations in the morning, I didn't hear them either.

The beds were extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows and soft sheets (pillows are embroidered to indicate how soft or firm... neat, eh?) The room darkening drapes were so effective that I woke up at three am and had to open them for a reality check.

The bathroom was decent size and well lit plus an extended shower curtain rod. It's a faucet activated deal but there are instructions on the wall. The vanity around the sink was plenty big and even had a wall niche where I piled my stuff. Picky issue: the inner shower curtain is too short to keep the water in so be careful to pull it firmly in and around the tub. The towels are quite luxurious and plentiful.

I never watch television in hotels but the wireless internet was a tad slow. Still, it was free. Bedside, desk phones, and a comfy wheeled chair make for a good working environment.

The maid staff were friendly and unobtrusive. No problems with unwanted attention and plenty fast when cleaning. Every surface was cleaned and the vacuum cleaning thorough.

There are the usual goodies in-room: iron and board, mini-fridge and microwave, hairdryer and hygiene products. The fridge wasn't all that cold so I put a container of ice in it as well which did the trick.

The staff was uniformly helpful and pleasant. A guy at the front desk couldn't help but overhear my lobby phone conversation with someone about directions and whipped out a map. It was actually kind of amusing as he wordlessly pointed out the directions and gave hand signals as to how many miles, how long a trip, etc. as I spoke.

The restaurants immediately available are Ruby Tuesday's (with awesome mojitoes), Logan's Roadhouse, and Applebee's. All are contiguous to the HI Express parking lot so as a woman alone, I felt completely safe walking to each one after dark. The road these all share goes past to a dead end and allow for smooth running/walking exercise without getting lost. Some day, someone might be able to tell me why, at the end of this road (where obviously there will be more retail businesses) there is a former Backyard Burger that has a full parking lot with overflow onto the street but NO CUSTOMERS! They have been out of business for some time!

One caveat to add: be very careful getting onto the main road (Rte 72) going east. There's a lot of traffic coming both ways added to the cars coming off Exit 351 from I-65. I've seen a couple of accidents just in my short stay.

• Liked — Clean, well-furnished rooms
  • Disliked — Traffic issues
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

We were looking for a safe, secure place to stay with our kids and grandbaby. We were quite pleased with the hotel, it's cleanliness and fabulous breakfasts! But I think the best thing was the fact that every person that worked there was polite and courteous and incredibly helpful! Southern hospitality at it's best. We will definitely stay there the next time we go to Alabama.

• Liked — the cleanliness and the helpful, polite staff
  • Disliked — cost of many nights---no extended stay promotion
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

This is the place on I-65 heading south to the beach from the Midwest. It is a nice oasis on the road south. I have stayed here 4 times heading to the beach and back each time. Very nice. Very clean.

There is a Ruby Tuesdays with in walking distance, a Starbucks and Wal-Mart up the road. What more does the traveler need?

Word to the wise on Spring break weekends and during the summer. Make a Reservation in advance. The lot fills up with interstate travelers.

• Liked — close to I-65
  • Disliked — close to I-65
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

This hotel is brand new and is beautifully appointed for an express style establishment. We stayed here en route to the Florida panhandle for our family vacation.

At check in we were given the wrong room. We checked in with our family of four and were sent to a King suite which clearly would not sleep all of us. Upon reviewing the room we returned to the front desk to explain that we had booked a double queen handicapped room. The staff member was very helpful and sent us to a different room althoughbeit, the wrong one...again. Third time was a charm however and we ended up in our very nice handicapped room which was very spaceous.

Cautions to the handicapped room user however - immediately outside of this room is a button on the wall clearly labeled: "Handicapped room, please press button and wait 5 seconds". We usually request handicapped rooms and we had never seen this before. We did not push the button as we felt no need. HOWEVER - many others on the same floor as us that night seemed to consider it an open invitation to push the button! Our family had just settled in to relax when an incredibly piercing sound filled the room - one of our daughters went out in the hall and pushed the button to see if that was what the commotion was and she had guessed correctly. When we heard it initially we thought it was the fire alarm. We left the room to go eat dinner and get away from the constant ringing.

As far as hallway and room noise levels go this hotel was top notch for being "quiet" once the phantom bell ringers had gone to bed. We didn't even notice the customary noises in the morning, i.e.: running water. Our room was #221 which was centrally located on the south side of the hotel and from here we could hear neither interstate nor local traffic sounds.

Such a treat to have an excellent restaurant (Ruby Tuesday's) right across the drive next to the hotel requiring nothing more than a short 2 minute walk, especially after driving all day long. Appleby's is also a short walk across the hotel parking lot.

Comp breakfast was plentiful, fresh, and painstakingly replenished during peak times. An excellent selection of items for folks wanting something delicious, nutritious, and quick.

We will definitely use this Holiday Inn Express again, although we'll skip on the handicapped room.

• Liked — newness, quiet, location to accessible eating establishments
  • Disliked — handicapped doorbells are too alarming, especially if someone is handicapped and recovering from something - yikes!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Athens? Share your experiences!