“Great choice in Athens” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Sullivan, Indiana
“Great choice in Athens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We lucked into this wonderful hotel last minute on our way to PCB. We had a King Suite. The room was spacious and very clean. There was a small pool and workout room. Breakfast was just ok. Big drawback for our family was that there was no meat provided. We would highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Tyler H, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
AlysaS945, thank you so much for your review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, it is always great to hear from our guests. We typically serve sausage gravy and biscuits on the weekends, but we value our guests opinions and suggestions and we will definitely consider serving a meat product on the weekends. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lancaster, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was a free stay because we used Marriott rewards points. Stacy, the hotel receptionist at the front desk, was most helpful. She provided a safe place for our bicycles and gave clear information about a local pharmacy. Our room was clean and attractive. We used the exercise room and the equipment was adequate. There are an IHOP and Ruby Tuesday's within walking distance. There was some noise, and we figured it was the shower doors slamming shut. Breakfast was filling and free. The hotel is right off 65 making it very convenient for an overnight stop.

Room Tip: Get a Mariott Rewards Visa.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LivingTheDream108, thank you so much for your review. We always enjoy hearing from our guests and about their stays! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will make sure to pass along the kind words to Stacy. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
palm harbor, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Have been a Marriott rewards member for a very long time. Occasionally stay at Fairfields. This property is fairly new and is an outstanding place to stay. Had the king room. Check in and out were smooth. Everyone was considerate and professional. The room was great. The breakfast is standard fare for a Fairfield but it is still fine. I would stay there anytime I'm in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
OmegaHotelGroup, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
HMS66, thank you for your review. It is always great to hear from our guests! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future. I will share your kind comments with our team.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Staff was friendly and warm. True southern hospitality at its finest. The new Fairfield Inn design is marvelous. Breakfast was great, it had a wide variety of choices from scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage to your basics like muffins, bagels, bread etc etc. I didn't get a chance to use the swimming pool, but from what I saw it was crystal clear and well maintained. I will stop here every time I am in Athens! What a great stop in the south!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

OmegaHotelGroup, Regional Director of Operations at Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Mr. H, thank you for the wonderful review of our Fairfield inn & Suites, Athens, AL. It is always wonderful to hear that the team is providing wonderful hospitality! We are happy that you found the breakfast bar plentiful of options. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the future.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I travel very much and stay in many very nice hotels - usually the full service Marriott hotels or Hyatt. My stay at the Marriott Fairfield in Athens, Alabama was primo. The most important for me is a comfortable bed, fast internet connection to watch soccer on my laptop and lots of hot water when I shower. Your shower is magnifico! So much space. Never do I expect such comfort at a Fairfield Inn & Suites. The breakfast was filled with flavor and many choices. I prefer fresh cut fruit instead of can fruit though and my preference is a hot food option that is good for my heart. Maybe you will consider adding a heart healthy hot option other than hot cereal. Clean hotel with all the amenities I look for. Very happy guest.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor so I heard no noise from elevator or otherwise
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Horacio, thank you for the "Magnifico" review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens, AL. We truly value our guests opinions and suggestions, we will definitely put some thought into providing an additional heart healthy breakfast option. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future!
Bowling Green, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This was a pretty bad experience given that it is brand new and Marriott property. My Dad is a Platinum Points Member and we used some of his points over Thanksgiving due to overcrowding at the house. First of all, there was an infestation of Japanese beetles. They were everywhere in the room and when they would land you would hear a terrible 'pop' which gave me the shivers. When I talked to the front desk about it-they said it was happening all over town. My parents house didn't seem to have any problems, so I am not sure what was up with that. Second, we asked for a handicap accessible room for my grandmother who is in a wheelchair and on oxygen, but we were given a room right next door to the accessible room. No one was occupying the room and if it wouldn't have been such a hassle to move her, we would have moved over. Breakfast one morning was picked over and cold and no one ever came to refill it. Our room was never cleaned (we were told that staff were on vacation for Thanksgiving and you had to make a special request to have your room cleaned-but we were told this after the fact and not at check in). The indoor pool was frigid and I couldn't stand more than about 5 minutes in it. The doors in the room were also ridiculously heavy and closed really quickly on you-it was even difficult for me to handle as an able bodied person-my handicapped grandmother couldn't open the door at all. The only positives I have are that the beds were fabulous as all Marriott property beds are, the hotel was aesthetically pleasing and the staff were very apologetic and sweet but it still didn't make up for the terrible stay.

Green Features: I am all about saving the Earth but it really gets on my nerves when hotels (like Fairfield) tout their environmental consciousness to the point that I have to do things differently in order to get clean sheets and towels.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
OmegaHotelGroup, Regional Director at Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Heather, thank you for your review. I so apologize for the issues you had while staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites. It is our goal that all of our guests have a wonderful experience. The area does have issues with lady bugs and it IS a huge annoyance. We are addressing the other items you noted in the review and I assure you that they will be addressed. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to earn your trust and business. Please contact me directly at l.miller@omegahotelgroup.com and I would love to discuss these issues with you. Again, thank you for your review, we welcome all comments!!
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stopped in Athens on our way home to Nashville. I'm a big Marriott fan - love their consistency - and I saw the Fairfield. I've never stayed at one so I thought "why not?". I was surprised to see the contemporary design inside (the outside looks like any hotel). The room was very comfortable - Showers are over-sized (which is a plus!) and the TV is HUGE! I wasn't expecting to find a flat screen TV the same size as I have at home...and I loved it. What really made it a great deal for us was the breakfast. They offered more than I expected and more than my kids could eat - believe it or not. I only eat breakfast when I travel so this was a real treat for me...The hotel gets 2 very enthusiastic thumbs up from me!

Room Tip: Hotel rooms receive either East or West sunlight. A/C is quiet and thermostat controlled.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
OmegaHotelGroup, Regional Director at Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Jill, thank you very much for such a wonderful review! We are happy that you enjoyed the large 42 inch television and the oversized shower and that the children enjoyed the hot breakfast. It is always wonderful getting feedback from our guests and especially when they are as glowing as your review is about us. Thanks for the two thumbs up!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athens
Hampton Inn & Suites Athens I-65
Hampton Inn Decatur
Hampton Inn Decatur
#1 of 17 in Decatur
4.5 of 5 stars 209 reviews

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens? Share your experiences!