“Yummy!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Huntsville, Alabama
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Went to Picasso's Grill for girls/moms night out with several friends.
Had the Blue Cheese Steak sandwhich and it was yummy! A little on the small side but filling. (Might not be enough for a man)
Our waitress was attentive and nice.
The decor is a bit interesting. Everything is new and clean. The main colors are black & red which comes off a bit Asian restaurant but I think they are possible going for a Spanish(Flamenco dancer red) in line with Picasso's home country. This was the topic of our dinner conversation for sometime as we just couldn't figure out what was going on with the decor:)
Nice option for quiet dinner.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Athens, Alabama
“Picasso Was An Artist-Not A Chef”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was really suprised with this place after reading the reviews. A relatively short menu with mostly sandwiches with a variety of meats and breads. I had the steak sandwich which was to be served on a french roll with blue cheese and a horseradish based sauce. What I received was a very small french roll (about 2" wide in the middle X 5" or so long) with a thin slice of not-so lean meat covered with grilled onions plus a couple of fried onion rings. The only discernable taste was the onions and the grease from the rings. A side of slaw came with the sandwich which was almost totally devoid of any taste. My partner had the fish tacos which she said weren't very good and had the same tasteless slaw topping. She also commented that the fish tacos were much better at Burrito Express. We also had coffe, very run of the mill. The bill for this lunch was $25.05 plus tip plus we waited about 30-40 minutes for our food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Huntsville, Alabama
“So Disappointed, feels like an interior decorator opened a restaurant, not a chef”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Maybe I fell prey to the over-hype Picasso's has received from other reviewers. I expected a true "fine dining" experience, and was so excited about trying Picasso's last night. I was hopeful that Picasso's would fill the void left behind when Pauli's/Vinotini's closed and could become our "go to" after work dinner spot to hang out and relax, meet people and enjoy some delicious food and beverages. Well, dear hubs (DH) and I tried it and both agreed once was enough and we won't go back.

I tried their fish and chips and have to agree with a tripadvisor reviewer who tried the same dish and wrote: "$14.50 for a piece of fish and some french fries! HAHAHAHA! Honestly and seriously...there was NOTHING to separate this plate of fish and chips from what I would get at Capt D's other than price and quantity and Capt Ds wins on both counts." The price didn't bother me, the poor quality of the dish did. The restaurant web site states that they "are ...proud to offer an array of American dishes hand-made with fresh, local ingredients." Is Cod a fish indigenous to North AL? My one piece of cod was woefully under seasoned (and there are no salt/pepper shakers on the table), and tasted frozen. It was super bland. The tartar sauce was not homemade nor was the ketchup. The huge steak cut fries, too, tasted frozen and died an amazingly quick death turning into limp pieces of cold mushy potato within minutes of being served.

DH had the fish tacos. I couldn't tell if there were two or three of the tacos. His big complaint was that they were served with American style (vinegar based) cole slaw already in the taco. He doesn't care for cole slaw and this (COLD cole slaw) atop warm fish pieces made the tacos cold - DUH. His small tacos came with a huge pile of the same fries described above. We had to ask for knives/forks/napkins and received the water we requested halfway thru the meal, which was accidentally partially poured onto my foot.

We each had a glass of wine, and to their credit, the wine list was of decent quality.

We were never told about the specials, which was surprising. They do display them on a small board out front, so I should have walked back out, but this leads me to another problem that other reviewers noted: the restaurant layout. It's super narrow with a tiny bar in the back. The bar is separated from the restaurant by a "wall" of tree branches, which is kind of cool, except the odd random silk birds stuck in the branches were cheesy.

Too many tables are packed in this tiny space, and the same holdt rue for the bar, where we ate. The bartender waited on the 2 tops and 4 tops located in the bar. Logistically, he has to navigate around a LOT of patrons to serve all the tables. People were at times, 3 deep in the bar area, which placed their derrieres right above out plates of food. It was awkward, uncomfortable, confining and gross. After eating, we couldn't wait to leave

We "get" that it is almost St. Patrick's Day, but the Irish music playing thru the sound system quickly grew old and became annoying. It is Friday night and we are not at an Irish Pub, why the Irish Music--when it could be saved for tomorrow, which IS St. Patrick's day. The noise level is super high in Picasso's, too. It was very difficult to hear each other talk even though we were at a tiny 2-top that barely held our plates and drinks.

The look of Picasso's is nice. I never made a connection between the artist and the restaurant, though, judging by the decor. DH said there were small (8x10) Picasso-esque images behind my head on the wall. I didn't notice. The cool tree motif on the wall, with leaves emanating away was a nice touch and the lighting was pretty, but the theme abruptly ends at the bar which would have benefited from the leaf motif.

Rethinking the bar layout and/or the table heights (higher pub tables which are not at derriere level), stepping up the menu/food preparation to truly taste fresh and seasoned and homemade and Picasso's may stand a chance. I wish it had been a better experience, as Athens sorely lacks good solid restaurants. In the mean time, I'm going cod fishing in the Tennessee River.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Athens, Alabama, United States
“Great new restaurant in Athens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We ate at PIcasso's for the first time NYE night! The food was EXCELLENT and the prices are great! Can't wait to go back!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Athens, AL
“CAUTION: French Quarter prices ahead!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We eat out a lot. Decided to give Picasso's a try after looking at their menu.

Inside....completely re-done from Burrito Express that used to reside here. Very nice I have to admit. 5:45 PM and not another soul in the place. Ordered one sweet and one un-sweet iced tea to start. Asked for some Sweet n Low as none on table. Never got it. Waitress not particularly attentive the whole time. Now get ready...

We ordered a house salad-$6.00. It came with one SMALL container of dressing. Ordered an extra dressing- fifty cents. So....$6.50 for an average sized house salad. Ordered a cup of soup...now it's probably more like 6 ounces than a real cup(8 ounces). Not so bad at $3.50 tho portion size was skimpy. I ordered Fish N Chips.... Are you sitting down? ONE piece of fried fish on a plate of french fries was FOURTEEN DOLLARS. No slaw, no salad, no hush puppies, no bread no nothing. ONE piece of cod(is there any fish cheaper?) on top of a plate of french fries and one small container of tartar sauce-$14.00! Oh yeah I forgot...fifty cents for another tartar sauce! HAHAHAHA! $14.50 for a piece of fish and some french fries! HAHAHAHA! Honestly and seriously...there was NOTHING to separate this plate of fish and chips from what I would get at Capt D's other than price and quantity and Capt Ds wins on both counts.

I'm all for businesses making profit but I feel abused....and disappointed.

• Visited December 2012