“Beautiful setting but accomodations not up to par.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #153 of 297 Attractions in West Virginia
Type: National Parks, Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Columbus, Ohio
“Beautiful setting but accomodations not up to par.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Loved the nature setting..they have definitely done it right on that front. Plenty of activities such as Trek bikes, canoes, kayaking, fishing but the lodge GREATLY needs an update. Box tv's (not flat scree) in the room, no mini-fridges :you have to pay $10/day for that convenience. Which for a supposed 4-star hotel does not jive. The cleaning staff is very friendly but forget to completely replenish things. I used a coffee mug and didn't get anew one or new coffee packets...had to take them off the maid's cart myself. They need more dining choices and there is no sundry store other than the gift shop. All in all, it was a great experience and I would go back but I would probably stay in one of the cottage.

Visited July 2012

A TripAdvisor Member
“Kayak Panfish Fishing Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2005

As an avid kayak fishermen who has fished on many lakes, I have to say my best kayak fishing experience ever was on Stonewall Jackson Lake Resort last fall. My type of fishing is using live bait (minnows & crawlers) and fishing for panfish. What an experience! In 2 days I caught several jumbo perch and dozens of crappie & bluegill. The largest jumbo perch were 14" and 13" respectively. I caught the perch mostly off sand bars in 6 to 10 feet of water. The crappie were abundent but not real large (9 to 10 inches mostly) caught around downed trees in 10 to 15 feet of water. The bluegill were the most enjoyable. I caught large quantities suspended 20 feet down in 30 to 40 feet of water.

Besides the fishing, the scenery was wonderful along the majestic long snakelike lake. Fish or no fish it was a relaxing once in a lifetime experience I will not forget anytime soon. If you have never experienced kayak fishing, this is the place to start. I can't wait to go back.