“poor service, poor food,” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Plum Blossom

Plum Blossom
1915 18th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20009-1706 (U Street Corridor)
202-232-8881
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,999 of 2,710 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Sushi, Fusion, Wine Bar
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
“poor service, poor food,”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

you can't expect authentic japanese food from this chinese run restaurant. it is disappointing. communication is also a problem...BIG problem here.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Unbeatable Sushi in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Best sushi in town. Great menu and very good drink options. Located in a trendy area in DC. The service is super attentive and the ambiance is superb. Some people think it may be pricey but IT is worth it! We come here at least once a week.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“They Tried to Warn Us...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Sorry it's taken me so long to write a review of the meal that we had the night before Mother's Day in May, but I was so aggravated that I didn't feel my review would be fair. When asking around for a nice sushi restaurant, we mentioned this place and got an "eh" response from more than one person. Silly me, it was close to our hotel and I was taken in by the decor that I could see from the front windows before they opened. We had no problem getting a reservation and the place had very few diners, which is strange for Mother's Day weekend, one of the biggest "eating out" occasions of the year!

To say that the service was beyond casual is an understatement. Now, I'm no snob, but if I'm paying these prices for a meal, I expect to be greeted with more than "hey there" and a casual wave from our server before disappearing for 15 minutes. We were treated like we were not really welcome for the first 20 minutes we were in the restaurant. I kind of felt like we had shown up before they were really open for dinner (except is was 7 pm). We let our server know we were celebrating Mother's Day and he warmed up a bit and was actually kind of funny, but everything went downhill when our meal was finally served. The wait was unusually long, considering that the place was practically empty, and they completely messed up our order.

We ordered a bottle of wine, tuna tataki, 2 dinner entrees and my daughter had ordered three kinds of sushi and sashimi from the sushi card. When we placed our orders and I presented the sushi card to the server, he said "oh, you want the sushi combo platter" and I told him "No, she'll have just the items ordered on the card as her entree.

The tuna was fine, but was served in a way that we did not recognize and the portion was really small, compared to what we're used to. It was good, but was swimming in sauce. After a very long wait, my daughter was was presented with a large platter of 3 different kinds of sushi & sashimi. I figured they had placed all of her requests on one platter. None of us would have been able to identify what they were, but who can when sushi presentations look different in every restaurant? I told my daughter to go ahead and start since my partner and I had already had the tataki to start. The rolls were well presented and the flavor was fresh.

Unfortunately, when they finally showed up with the entrees, mine was completely wrong and the waiter immediately admitted it and took it back. I had some of my daughters sushi while I waited and waited. THEN, they showed up with the sushi that my daughter had actually ordered, after we had already eaten the sushi platter. When I pointed out that they had delivered too many dishes and that I had not received my meal yet (even though everyone was almost finished), the person who brought the food out, shrugged and said he'd check. When I asked about the extra food he said "don't worry about it". At this point, I was ready to give up on my entree and had helped my daughter eat her sushi.

Everyone was finished with their meal by the time that mine showed up. The waiter said he was "so sorry for the mix-up on our order and that we should save room for dessert on him". We figured out what he was up to and declined. When we were able to get his attention to get our check, he had not only charged us full price for everything that we ordered, but had also charged us for the sushi platter that he sent to our table by mistake at the beginning of the meal. After some argument, we were able to get him to take it off the bill.

My biggest disappointment was not so much that the order was messed up, because we did enjoy the food, but we felt so insulted, harrassed AND neglected by a server who just did not have the class or experience to handle the situation properly. Hopefully this one server is not reflective of the entire restaurant, but some of the other reviews indicate that it might be par for the course.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“How do they stay in business?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

I went to this restaurant a week ago and thought we scored when, on a Saturday night, the place could seat us right away. The place was small and could probably handle 25 diners at one time. There were two parties of two seated when we were seated. It was a cute little place and we were hungry.

It took almost a half hour for the woman to come to our table for us to order. She seemed to be both hostess and waitress and was not good in either role. She was short with us ---as though we came into her house and asked her to serve us. Clearly not a people person.

No one else was coming in the restaurant so we were baffled as to why we weren't being taken care of. We sat with no food and no water and finally requested water after 30 minutes of being invisible. To that we got an eye-roll. Literally an hour after we ordered (which was 1.5 hours after sitting down)our meals came. This was only because we started to get up to leave.

I was shocked at our bill and totally felt taken. Those in our party that had warm food----said it was cold. The chicken was fatty and had skin on it(ew) and the sushi was like a beginner chef made it. The only thing good about this restaurant was the location. But if course that was what got us in the door.... Once!

Now it makes sense as to why the Mexican place across the street had a 1.5 hour wait and Plum Blossom had 4 diners besides us.

Bummer all around:(

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“Great but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Really tasty sushi with some unique choices. The crunchy scallop sushi and the seaweed salad were our favorites. $10+ for the specialty rolls, $6 for the simple rolls. Portions are a little on the small side, but the presentation is great.

• Visited August 2011