“A Must Do - Great Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$21*
and up
National Museum of Crime and Punishment Admission...
Ranked #47 of 234 Attractions in Washington DC
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“A Must Do - Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was an incredibly surprising museum, well worth the price of the tickets. Covering crime and punishment from Medieval Time through the Wild West, Prohibition to the Modern Era. There are sections on capital punishment, CSI, FBI Top Ten Most Wanted and prison life. I was constantly surprised by the wide range of museum pieces on show from famous crime cases and belonging to infamous individuals (Ted Bundy's Volkswagen Beetle sits in the lobby and John Wayne Gacy's clown outfits are on show later on in the museum!).

I would recommend this museum to everyone, I would recommend leaving a good few hours for this museum as it's based over a few floors and takes a lot longer to wander around than you'd think.

Visited March 2014
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Hi Dotuathail1-
Thank you for your comprehensive review! We are so happy that you came to see us and that you had a great experience! We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you the next time you are in DC!

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Louisville, Kentucky
6 attraction reviews
“This Crime is Worth Paying for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Recently my daughter and I made a visit to the Crime & Punishment Museum.This museum is larger than it seems. Your self guided tour takes you on a trip through time with stops at The Middle Ages, the Wild West, the Prohibition era, and finally a section focusing on modern criminals and crime. Along the way you get to view fascinating relics and memorabilia as well as interacting with numerous hands on displays. Both my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed this museum. We were lucky because an individual on the street handed us a 1/2 price admission coupon on our way there. I feel the museum would have been worth regular admission. One quick tip. Visit this museum when it first opens or in the evening to miss the masses of school field trips. You can expect to take 2 or more hours to tour this museum.

Hi GSHpointer-
We are thrilled that you and your daughter came to visit our museum! With over 100 interactives and hundreds of artifacts, the museum is definitely larger than it appears. I am glad that you and your daughter thoroughly enjoyed it all! Thank you for your review!
Rohnert Park, California
36 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I loved the displays and the interactive exhibits. We learned a lot and had a great time with the interactive car chase and gun fight. We spent about 2 hours here.

Hi Twingirlsmom2,
Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you loved the museum, learned a lot, and especially enjoyed the interactives! We hope to see you all again soon!
Houston, Texas
26 attraction reviews
“One of our favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is like a history museum for criminals. It can be a little scary and gory so I would not recommend for children under age 10. My 11 year old enjoyed the interactive police car chase and shootings the best (so did my husband).

Visited March 2014
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Hi lovetotravel2012_13,
Thank you for your review! We are glad that you and your family came to see us and that we are one of your favorite museums! The police shooting and driving simulators are a lot of fun; I am happy your son and husband enjoyed them! We hope to see you during your next trip to DC!
Sicklerville, New Jersey
“Good museum ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I liked the crime museum. It was very interesting to learn about the past history of crime. It was a lot to read but I learned a lot. I did like the interactive things they had throughout the museum. We did the detective challenge and that was fun trying to find the clues for the crime. The only thing I didn't like was the prize at the end I could only choose between a tattoo and a bandanna which I didn't want either. I was at least hoping for a key chain at the end but at least I got a pen out of it that they gave you at the beginning. Overall it was a nice museum.

Hi Anv1989,

Thank you so much for coming to visit our museum. We are glad that you found the information interesting and had fun solving the Top Detective Challenge. We appreciate your feedback and are always striving to improve. Thank you!