“Labour Day Wkend Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #54 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Labour Day Wkend Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just returned from another excellent stay over the weekend at Donovan House with our guests. Service as ever was excellent throughout and all the extra touches much appreciated. A particular thank you must go to Joon who was extremely helpful along with all the other staff.

Thanks again and we'll see you soon,

Mr and Mrs J. Hughes.

Room Tip: As high as possible overlooking the circle.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hi Jon H,

Thanks for your review of our Hotel.

Certainly seemed like an excellent stay! I appreciate you acknowledging Joon as well. He's pretty new to the family, but is doing a great job.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

No doubt that the location of the Donovan House is a very big asset. Walking distance from many tourist attractions, government offices and the Verizon Center. The décor is also interesting when it comes to the spiral showers - definitely unique design.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi ronger5,

Thanks for your review of our Hotel.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and got to take advantage of our awesome location. It's right in the middle of everything.

Tarrytown, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was clean and close to the Washington Mall. The rooftop bar and pool were pleasant and the staff was helpful. However, we booked a King bed room and got a Queen bed room. When we complained, they said it was a "European King". After looking it up, a British King is equivalent to an Amercian Queen. However they also offered Queen Rooms which are not part of the British Bed Size System. There was no way to determine that was what they meant from the web site. I don't know whether we really got a Queen or they are using non-standard bed sizes. Either way, it felt it very deceptive. Otherwise we were happy with the stay.

Room Tip: The King size rooms are really Queen size rooms. I don't know what the Queen size rooms are.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hi Michael L,

Thanks for your review.

I believe I responded to a similar review on Yelp. Yes, the beds in our rooms are considered Kings. However, there are many types of kings. Sorry about the confusion.

Boonton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Kimpton has a great brand...it is a dog welcoming hotel and each has its own unique flair..this one was decorated in the James Bond 70's motif. The service is great, the pool bar was a lot of fun. They all have a wine hour. Suggest you join the Kimpton club for free, it provides free WiFi, $10 mini bar raid and other free bees. If I had to be critical the only thing would be the staff needs to keep the free refreshments(water, juice and coffee) topped up..several times they had run out but it was a busy weekend.

• Stayed August 2013
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hi Robert H,

Thanks for your review.

Appreciate the 5-stars! When will you be back? Soon I hope.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

As usual I will try to refrain from repeating what others have consistently said and focus on what is overlooked. Before I do that however, I must compliment the employees who were consistently friendly, caring, and went out of their way to make my five nights there very enjoyable. I especially want to give shout outs to Janina who is the Front Office Manager, and John who is a breakfast server in the restaurant. They were outstanding!

I was originally booked at the Homewood Suites (on the other side of Thomas Circle) but when I learned in advance they didn't have safes in their rooms, I scouted out other nearby locations. I had seen that Donovan House was coming up on BiddingforTravel.com as a 4* hotel that travelers were getting for $92. I read the reviews and decided to give it a whirl. Boy was I glad I did. Not only did I get a room for $92 for the first three nights of my stay I got the last two nights for $75. All on Priceline of course.

The employees knew of course I was on a discounted rate. However, they upgraded me to a King Executive room, threw in free continental breakfast for three of my days and gave me double the $10 mini-bar coupon (since I technically had two reservations)

That being said, now that I have stayed there on discount, I would pay "full boat" just for the great service and warmth of the employees. However, let me give some tips that I haven't seen mentioned in the reviews.

I am a big workout person and hotel gyms are usually lacking. The Donovan has a decent workout room with Cybex cardio equipment and some free weights. However, if this isn't enough they have discounted passes for the full service gym right next door ($10).

Parking is $45 a night. I only had a car the last two nights of my stay, however, I found street parking immediately north of the hotel for free. Just watch the signs as there are some tow away and permit parking areas. If you feel you must park inside, there is a garage directly across from the hotel that has overnight parking for $28 (still too high for me) but better than $45. Unless you need to travel outside the District you really don't need a car. Metro and buses are very convenient.

It dismayed me there was not a coffee pot in the room. However, you can request a Keurig coffeemaker and they will provide one free of charge. Or if you just want hot water for tea at night like I do, you can go to the workout room on the second floor (open 24 hours) where they have paper cups and hot water in the water cooler.

My only caveat for this property is the size of the rooms. I was surprised when I was told I had a King Executive room the third day of my stay. I assumed I had a queen deluxe based on the size of the room. For one person, my room was more than enough, for an intimate couple it would be acceptable, but a family might be better off at the Homewood Suites or Residence Inn across the street. That being said, the room was very quiet and I was facing Thomas Circle on the sixth floor.

In summary, at full price the staff makes it worthwhile; if you can the discounted rate it is a steal!

Cheers.

Marius

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hi Marius,

Thanks for your review.

I really appreciate all the detail. It helps paint a picture for future travelers. Also, thank you for acknowledging both Janina and John. They're pretty awesome.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We had a terrific stay at the Donovan House. The staff is eager to please. Specifically Rosa was wonderful to deal with. There were some problems with our check in but Joon was very kind and compensated us with free breakfasts.
The rooftop pool and bar are a respite from a very crowded city.
The room was clean and well appointed

The free wine from 5-6 was pleasant surprise. It was a great opportunity to meet other hotel guests and compare tours, sites and restauarnts.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Hi eddie s,

Thanks for your review.

Looks like Rosa and Joon took great care of you. Sorry about check in, but seems like everything turned out swell. Yeah, the rooftop is super popular.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am, in general, a fan of Kimpton Hotels and Donovan House is no exception. This is a very nice, boutique-like property in a good location in downtown DC. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with modern decor. I found the hotel to be relatively quiet for the location. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The roof top bar is a nice spot to relax after work and the restaurant has a good breakfast buffet as well as a nice selection of made-to-order items. If you book via the Kimpton website you can generally find a rate with breakfast included. As a member of the Kimpton rewards program you receive some nice perks, including free wifi access. I'd recommend this hotel for either business or vacation, however might not be the ideal choice for someone who had children traveling with them. Kimpton's are geared towards travelers who prefer trendy, modern boutique properties with a bit of unique flair, so if that is not your taste then there are better options when traveling to DC.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi KathR_Chicago,

Thanks for your review.

What an awesome assessment of our Hotel. You certainly are a Kimpton Fan. I like to believe Kimpton's are geared towards the appeal of the general public, but you're probably right. Our pool is only so big, makes it hard to do giant inflatable donuts for the kiddies. Trust me, I tried,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!