“You better like James Bond...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel

You added The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #40 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“You better like James Bond...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Because they screen the movies in the lobby, err, living room. This is a very nice hotel, clean, funky, very helpful staff. It embodies the Kimpton approach to making larger hotels seem like boutiques. Free wine reception in the evening, free coffee in the morning (and unlike in the Madera, this coffee is drinkable :) The roof bar is very cool, food's good there, the pool nice, but too small. Main gripe for me are the rooms. In getting carried away by hipness the bathrooms are way too big, making the room overall small. Also, there was no table/chair to work on or eat at in my room at least. I had one complaint which I mentioned in the online post-stay survey, and the management immediately contacted me about it to apologise, showing how switched on they are. I wouldn't stay again for a work trip, but for a long weekend with the missus it is just the spot. I like Kimpton, and Donovan House is a good hotel in the chain.

Room Tip: I had an internal room, no traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hi Andreas B,

Thanks so much for your review.

I appreciate all your feedback about your stay. Seems like mostly good, with some critique. So you know, we are undergoing a full rooms renovation at the end of this year to really address, for good, the functionality of our guestrooms. This should solve the desk situation for your next business trip!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I were celebrating our anniversary with a short weekend trip to DC - I included this detail on the reservation and was congratulated on our anniversary when I first arrived at check-in that Friday morning. No rooms were ready at that time, so I dropped off my luggage at the front desk and enjoyed a complimentary day-pass for the CapitalBikeshare program - an awesome and unexpected perk! When I returned to the hotel later that afternoon, the woman who checked me in upgraded me to a terrific king room overlooking the circle - it was a sexy room (especially the mod shower/giant bathtub) with an incredible view - and there was a complimentary bottle of champagne to boot! (Not sure if this is standard, or if this was a gift for our anniversary - either way, it was totally appreciated.) Throughout our stay, the service was excellent - if there was one disappointment, it was the quality of the breakfast served via room service - totally fine, but in retrospect, I wish we had gotten out of bed for one of the many amazing breakfast/brunch places in the city. That said, I would absolutely stay here again - the Donovan did not disappoint with its great location, sexy ambiance, and high end service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Abe L, Assistant General Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi LisaMarieB52,

Thanks so much for your review!

Happy Anniversary! I'm happy you chose our Hotel to celebrate. Seems like we really held up our end of the bargain. See you next year?

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and myself stayed here this weekend and really enjoyed it. The room was trendy and modern much like the decor of the rest of the place. The roof top bar and pool was a pleasant surprise. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi LisaMarieB52,

Thanks so much for your review.

Sounds like an all around great stay. Anniversaries are always special and a little bottle of bubbly goes a long way. Sorry about the In-Room Dining Food, I will be sure to take it up with our restaurant team.

So...same time, same place next year?

Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived in DC for a two day visit we found the Donovan on Hotwire.com so the price was extremely good. We booked a premier queen room but as we were two friends travelling together we asked for a twin room. We were given a room with two double beds. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was modern, funky, well presented, clean and quiet. So quiet in fact that we overslept. I would recommend the Donovan to singles, couples and families. A great experience in a truly wonderful city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hi 171Jen,

Thanks so much for your review.

Sounds like a great time, all the way from Italy! Hope you'll back soon on Holiday.

eclarkebu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here for my wife's birthday weekend. Check-in was great -- the hotel went out of their way to celebrate my wife's birthday. Free dessert and drinks in the restaurant and an amenity in the room of champagne and strawberries. Very nice and very impressive.

Our room was incredible too -- very modern and actually spacious (and we booked the lowest category queen room).

A few things that held this back from a 5 star experience:
-The shower pressure is near non-existent. The shower has a rain-head faucet and it's very hard to get a good shower.
-We left our room at 8am and when we returned at 4pm to get ready for dinner, our room still hadn't been made up. When I called to inquire they said they had till 5pm to clean our room. This was kind of annoying 8 hours is a long time to get to clean a room.
-While the hotel is a non-smoking property, someone kept smoking on our floor. I get the hotel can't necessarily control this, but the stench of smoke was awful.

All this said, we did have a great time. We would easily stay at the Donovan House again!

Hi eclarkebu,

Thanks for your review!

Looks like a lot of GOOD, with a few hints of bad. I'll be sure to have conversations with my Engineering and Housekeeping Teams about your experience. Sorry about the smoke as well, we are totally 100% non-smoking, but you know how some people are.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

So I recently married on June 1st. and was so excited to stay here for the first time. I called ahead to request a really nice room (without paying extra, of course) and the front office manager Abe hooked me up with a corner room and fancy shower! When we checked in that night we were greeted by John the front desk guy who was so excited for us. He had our keys ready and offered us comp drinks tickets on the rooftop!!! As we got on the elevator I thought to myself this night cannot get any better, until we opened our door to find out that the hotel staff had decorated our room with rose pedals, candles and snacks--I almost cried! The next morning, we woke up a bit hung over and in a rush to make our flight my husband forgot his wallet and I forgot my card box with all of the gifts and money--YIKES! Well thank goodness I had left my cell number on file because John called me moments after we checked out to info me that housekeeping had found it and he had it at the front desk for us. I say all of that to say that, this is an amazing hotel for several reasons, but mostly because of the people it employs. I wish I could afford to stay here all the time, but I will settle for anniversaries and special occasions.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with fancy shower!!!
Hi Monique P,

Awesome, thanks for your review!

I had no clue you were filling out a TripAdvsor Review, but glad that you did. Your comments are very flattering, thank you so much. I am also super happy you encountered Jon, he is pretty awesome. The "Corner Room with Fancy Shower" is called a King Premier, for the rest of the TripAdvisor community.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I didn't know what to expect from Kimpton or Donovan House. I booked via Priceline for $126/night just before a big trade show in the Convention Center pushed prices to over $250. I originally booked Rouge, another Kimpton hotel, but this seemed more my style. Although, I didn't know it was a spy hotel. Goldfinger was showing in the lobby and it gets busy during the nightly happy hours with complimentary wine and sangria. Great hospitality touches which I've seen elsewhere, but not of this quality.

My room had a nice view of Thomas Circle. The furniture was funky, but tasteful with a white and dark wood and leather theme. The work desk was more like a coffee table and the chair wasn't ergonomic, so probably not for hours of Powerpoint. The provision of animal print bathrobes was very welcome! A first for me. Another rare sight was a trash can which was just for recycling. I've seen this may be 1-2 before in a hotel room.

The bathroom was well designed and spacious, esp. the snail-like shower unit. It protruded into the bedroom and the users casts shadows in the room. Very cool. Better than the glass showers in other trendy (Starck) hotels. Another impressive touch was the list of toiletries that were available from the front desk, for free. I'd forgot my wash bag so I got the razor, shaving cream, toothpaste etc. I went to the 24/7 CVS across the street for a better razor since I was staying six days.

I asked the front desk to mail something to England for me. They did this without adding this to my bill! Although it does take longer time it saved me a trip to the post office. And before I forget, despite me getting a killer deal on this room, I got an upgrade at check-in! How great is this place. I hope to stay at a Kimpton hotel again!

Green Features: The guest option to reuse towels is pretty normal. And I think it's more about saving the hotel money than saving the earth. But in Kimpton's case, the provision of a recycle trash can is something I've rarely seen in other hotels I've stayed at. So gold star!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hello Stevio_1,

Thanks for your review!

Loved all the detail and the note about Hotel Rouge! I used to work there! Either way, seemed like nothing but positive interactions with our staff. So happy your stay went so well.

Assistant General Manager

Been to The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!