“Spy hotel with comfort.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #55 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Augusta, Georgia
“Spy hotel with comfort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We scored a great deal on this hotel on a website and we couldn't have asked for more. The decor of the entire hotel is like a 60s spy movie. The shower was great and the bed was comfortable. There were huge floor to ceiling windows that gave us a great view of Thomas Circle. The rooftop deck was amazing with a great view of the circle and a pool (which we didn't use because it was a bit cool). I would definitely avoid a room on the top floor so that you don't get the noise from the rooftop.

Stayed May 2013
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
*** Transmission Received ***

*** For Your Eyes Only ***

Hi One3eb,

Agent Georgia, thank you for your confidential communication about your most recent mission to our location. Pleased to hear your operational activity took you to DNV Rooftop. It's known in the Spy Community as a totally cool hang out spot and just recently renovated.

Please stay in communication range for your next mission.

Confidentially Yours,

Codename: Intrepid
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Arrived at the Donovan House today and to my chagrin was told I made the reservation for the wrong date (was definitely my fault). Daysi at the front desk however sprang into action and talked through the situation with here colleagues and they were able to still get me in a room.

Thank you Daysi and thank you Donovan House!

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi Eric J,

Thanks for your review!

Wow! Daysi to the rescue. Not the first time I've heard this, she is pretty awesome. Appreciate you sharing.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had already expected great things from this hotel due to the great reviews already posted, so I thought that it would be hard to exceed my expectations, but they sure did. Even before I arrived, I had a great interaction with Mr. Han who went above and beyond before and during my stay. He was exceptional, and I was very impressed at the effort he makes. Other staff, from check-in to housekeeping, were all great as well and very friendly and accommodating. I had an upgraded premier room which was roomy, well appointed and had great views of Thomas Circle. The rooftop pool was a nice touch and I really liked how you could relax and swim by day and then have a cocktail by evening as it turned into a rooftop lounge. Not everyone may like that, but I enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a premier room for great views and extra roominess.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi nyctravis,

Thanks for your review!

You shared just an awesome stay. I appreciate you highlighting Harald, he is one of our very best. Also very much enjoyed your comments about the Rooftop Transition from day to night. We always try and solicit the opinions of our guests.

kampala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at Donovan House several times and it just keeps getting better. The rooms are perfectly comfortable and well equipped like all Kimpton Hotels. The service behind the front desk is particularly notable, Kevin and Mark take extra steps that made my stay even better. Thanks for keeping this a great spot to stay in DC!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Hi Steven R,

Thanks for your review.

Repeat guests are my favorite guests! I am sure you're signed up for Kimpton InTouch, if not, you should. Who doesn't love Kevin and Mark?

Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Found the Donovan House through trip advisor and was won over by its location, great rooms, and rooftop pool. I went up for my birthday with my girlfriend, and entertained several friends from around the area prior to going out for the night. I was hoping to check in a bit early around 1:30pm, but unfortunately they had been booked tight the night before and didn't have a room available when I arrived. The staff was very friendly, even putting my birthday cake back in their fridge while I waited, and point out some areas to take the pup we had with us. It took a little longer than expected for a room to become available, but they were extremely courteous and upgraded my room to an Executive Suite for my brief inconvenience.

The Executive Suite was amazing. We stayed on the 9th floor and found it to be perfect in terms of location. We faced Thomas Circle and enjoyed wonderful views from the large windows. We went up to peek at the rooftop pool early, but it seemed pretty crowded as it was one of the first weekends it was open and the weather was calling for it (95+ degrees out). We didn't end up making it back up to the pool, which although was originally a large reason for choosing the Donovan, I honestly found enough enjoyment just being in the room.

Although I wasn't a huge fan of the couch (which sacrificed a good deal of comfort for designer looks); I did love each of the designer chairs they had set up in the room.

I had heard so much about the cocoon shower that I was looking forward to taking a look at it, but the room we stayed in opted for a very spacious rain shower and large soaking tub, which although unexpected, wasn't a downfall at all. In fact, my girlfriend requested I buy her a bathroom which matches that of the room we stayed in...

All in all, I loved the Donovan House experience, and its going to be hard to choose another hotel when visiting DC; however some of the less pricey Kimpton hotels may get looked at for less-special occassions :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Nate A,

Thanks so much for your review.

Really appreciated all the detail in your comments. Sometimes a "Star Rating" doesn't say it all about a Hotel. Successful trip with the lady friend, let's not wait too long for your next one OK?

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I recently stayed two nights at this property while visiting DC for the Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is stylish (including their swanky rooftop pool and bar), the staff was ultra friendly, and the room was immaculate. I loved all the details that played into their spy theme from the welcome note that addressed me as an agent to the top security, no-access beyond the lobby elevator system they have in place. Ok, the latter was slightly annoying at times because I often leave my room key if someone is in the room. Anyway, it was a great pick, and I would happily stay there again. The location is superb; it's near lots of restaurants, and you can access the metro stations within minutes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Yoyoforever,

Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor!

Loved your note about our Hotel feeling like home. Isn't that what it's really all about? Looks like the Hotel story got a hold of you Secret Agent, I hope you have an alibi.

Confidentially Yours,

Codename: Intrepid
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Hubby made a last minute decision to attend a conference in DC and along came the family. We have stayed in Kimpton hotels on several other DC stays so when we found a vacancy at Donovan House we jumped on it. Fun, flirty, classy hotel even if traveling with a 3 year old. Loved the morning tea and coffee bar in the lobby-iced coffee?-check, Tourani syrup?-check, soy milk?-check. They are in touch with their clients! The evening wine tasting was such a cool way to wind down- one night we joined the fun at the roof top pool with our wine, another right we moved over to the bar at Zentan-yummy. Our room, a standard king had a comfy bed, funky shower and great view of Thomas Circle. And, the entire hotel is smoke free-yes! During our stay we had the pleasure of working with John F, manager on duty, who was kind and helpful with several requests.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hi ccmd,

Thanks so much for your review!

What an awesome stay! Thanks for also highlighting Jon's efforts, he is pretty awesome. So glad to see the minor details helped make your stay special.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!