“convenient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1 More
Ranked #52 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Greenfield MA
“convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was a modern and very clean hotel in a great location. The staff were quite friendly and helpful. Though we never ate at Zentan , we had drinks at at the bar and it was quite an interesting space. If you go up 14th past Thomas Circle there are some good spots. We would stay here again. The bed was exceptionally comfortable,as well as the pillows.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi Julie C,

Thanks for your review.

Seems like you had a great stay. Good to hear it! See you soon?

619 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Donovan House upholds my long-standing loyalty to Kimpton properties, particularly for their quirky yet comfy design. My king room was in great condition, and while the bed was super-comfy and ensconced in a very mod black framing with inset dimmable LEDs, it's the bathroom that really got me. The shower is a crazy door-less spiral of semi-translucent plastic with a rainshower head; it sounds weird, but it was a pleasure to use. (Also, the sink was large enough to bathe a three-year-old.)

They treat their InTouch members, even non-elite folks like me, very well. Unlike many other chains, they give points even when you book through Hotels.com. I called ahead to give them my InTouch member; when I showed up super-early (like, just before noon), they gave me an upgraded room with a great view over Thomas Circle.

Donovan isn't cheap. But hotels in DC are generally a ripoff, especially during conferences and other busy times, so as long as you're going to shell out a chunk of change, do something distinctive. Also, it's a really nice hotel for the weekend -- properties deep downtown are surrounded by closed restaurants and oddly empty streets, but the Donovan is a short walk to Logan Circle and a breezy bikeshare ride to Dupont Circle and U Street. (Bikeshare is great for that part of town; the hotel is a ~7 minute walk from the Metro.)

Room Tip: If you're an InTouch member, give your number ahead of time for a better chance at a good room...
Hi Jesse F,

Thanks for your review.

You provided so many awesome pointers for the TripAdvisor community! Can't thank you enough so I'm thanking you again. You're right, we totally dig our Kimpton InTouch Members!

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Last minute business trip to DC. My wife had stayed at the Palomar in Dallas recently and liked it very much and when she heard me grumble that at the DC hotels near the White House were ridiculously expensive, said "try the Kimpton site". I had stayed at the Monaco Hotesl in DC and Denver so I found the Donovan House around the corner for the law offices I was meeting in.

Was offered a rate that was $100 to $150 below the neighboring hotels, like the W, the Westin, the JW Marriot...and the room was a Deluxe King, almost twice the size of the W's king room. Small trendy lobby, nice folks at door and reception, large bright clean room with cool and large bath with large free standing tube and separate shower. All very clean and comfortable. Free coffee in am in lobby and wine in the afternoon.

Would stay there again, for sure.

Hi Frank K,

Thanks for your review.

Glad you are switching to the "cool" side of the pillow and choosing to stay with Kimpton.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

A short background to my stay: I was at a friend's place for most of my 10-day stay in DC and planned to come to Donovan House for the last two days as he needed his place back. He ended up arriving a day earlier so I actually stayed at the Palomar (another Kimpton hotel) for day T-3 and the contrast was just striking.

Donovan house: room was not serviced (ooops? then after 10pm they can't send anyone to do it), no desk in the room, cheap-looking and torn furniture, no bath tub, only a rain-style shower (ok if you like it, but high-end places have both types), cheap toiletries, small room.

The Palomar is no 5-star hotel, but it had none of the failings described above.

I used Hotwire/Priceline so the damage was not that great, but if I had paid the posted prices of $400+ I would be furious.

To be fair on the positive side, the location is very good, with a 24-hour CVS across the street and walking distance to good restaurants, bars, metro and the White House.

Room Tip: For a similar price, stay at the Palomar for a better Kimpton hotel experience.
Hi fsander1201,

Thanks for your review.

Yikes, not the best stay. Sorry about the Room Servicing issue, I'll be sure our Housekeeping Team is aware of it. So you know, we are going under a full rooms renovation at the end of this year that will hopefully address a lot of your concerns with conditions and functionality.

I do hope you'll give us another shot in the future.

East Rutherford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I'm an Inner Circle member so I was able to have a complimentary night at this hotel since it's new in their portfolio. When I booked my free Kimpton night at the Donovan House, I received a personalized email from the hotel asking me to fill out my personalized preferences in my account. I arrived at the hotel for check-in around noon, but the room wasn’t ready, so I got lunch and walked around town a bit. When I returned, I was told I was upgraded to a corner room on a high floor with an awesome view. The room itself was modern, spacious and comfortable.

After exploring D.C. a bit, we returned back to the room and found a welcome note, a fruit platter and some sweet Honest Teas. In my Inner Circle profile, I had noted that my favorite drink was unsweetened iced tea and my favorite snacks were fresh mangoes, pineapples, and red velvet cupcakes.

Did they nail it? Not so much, but nevertheless a personalized welcome amenity is always appreciated and makes me smile.

e then went down to the complimentary wine happy hour that’s held daily in the lobby between 5-6 pm and had dinner at the hotel’s restaurant, Zentan, using the $50 dining credit. The food was awesome and the evironment was trendy and nice. Overall, I can say I was quite pleased with my first Kimpton stay after experiencing the Donovan House.

The Hotel is centrally located with many attractions in walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hi aaucello,

Thanks so much for the review of your stay.

We L-O-V-E our Inner Circle Members! Sorry about the snafu with your amenity, must have just interpreted your profile wrong. Zentan is pretty awesome. Some of my favs include the Pearl Noodles and Sushi rolls.

See you soon?

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The location is great, only a 15 minute walk to the while house, While the lobby may be small, the hotel more than makes up for it in the vibe. We enjoyed our stay in the Donovan Suite, and felt at home. The staff goes out of their way to make sure any request is answered. THe room was large with a separate kitchen area, dining room/ living room, guest bathroom, as well as a huge bedroom with a soaking tub and spiral shower. The bed was extremely comfortable, and as always we enjoyed the fun robes! As always with Kimpton, the wine hour was a nice touch, and dinner at Zetan was delicious.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Renee0232,

Thanks so much for your review.

The Donovan Suite is awesome! Best view in the city that really shows how centrally located the Hotel is. Glad you got a chance to sample Zentan. In my opinion, the Sushi is the best in the city.

richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I completely messed up my reservation. I booked Sunday through Friday when, really, I meant to book Monday through Friday. When I showed up on Monday night and realized this, my stomach dropped. it was late and I was worried about having to find a place to stay. Thank GOODNESS they had one more room. They re-booked my Wednesday and Thursday night but, were sold out for Tuesday night. Did I mention I also originally booked at a great rate?? I was in my class (which was on the property) and just hoped for a cancellation. All the people on the front desk and the event manager were looking out for me and keeping me updated. Happily, a room cancellation came through and I was able to stay at Donovan House for the entire trip.

Harald, Daisy (sp?), Nick and the evening manager who was there on Monday night and I can't remember his name were fabulous. Really, they could not have been better. They were always smiling, offering help and were honestly concerned on my behalf. Even the guys at the door were great. They were helpful, smiling and always there.

My room was beautiful - overlooked the church and the afternoon light was awesome. I didn't notice any noise from the street in either room I was in and the first night I was on the second floor.

When I go to DC again, this is where I will stay. I love the Kimpton hotels. They are all unique and great in their own way but, the service and staff here put this one over the top for me. Thank you guys for your concern, your help and turning what could have been a disaster into a non-issue.

My ONLY complaint would be no coffee in the rooms. Yes, I know there is free coffee downstairs but, trust me, you don't want me rolling down to the lobby in an animal print bathrobe at 6 am. Happily, Daisy saved the day with having a Keurig delivered to my room. That's right. All you have to do is ask. If I were they, I would just go ahead and stick one in each of the rooms. Just sayin'.

Hi RichmondLily,

Thanks so much for your review.

I appreciated all the detail and shout outs for Daysi and Harald! They are some of our very best. As for the coffee, we do provide in-room coffee makers on request. Its our commitment to being Eco-Conscious and small decisions like this one do really add up. If you sign up for Kimpton InTouch, you can add this as a preference to your profile so it will always be setup for you.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!