“Best.Service.Ever.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1 More
Ranked #51 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
richmond, VA
“Best.Service.Ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I completely messed up my reservation. I booked Sunday through Friday when, really, I meant to book Monday through Friday. When I showed up on Monday night and realized this, my stomach dropped. it was late and I was worried about having to find a place to stay. Thank GOODNESS they had one more room. They re-booked my Wednesday and Thursday night but, were sold out for Tuesday night. Did I mention I also originally booked at a great rate?? I was in my class (which was on the property) and just hoped for a cancellation. All the people on the front desk and the event manager were looking out for me and keeping me updated. Happily, a room cancellation came through and I was able to stay at Donovan House for the entire trip.

Harald, Daisy (sp?), Nick and the evening manager who was there on Monday night and I can't remember his name were fabulous. Really, they could not have been better. They were always smiling, offering help and were honestly concerned on my behalf. Even the guys at the door were great. They were helpful, smiling and always there.

My room was beautiful - overlooked the church and the afternoon light was awesome. I didn't notice any noise from the street in either room I was in and the first night I was on the second floor.

When I go to DC again, this is where I will stay. I love the Kimpton hotels. They are all unique and great in their own way but, the service and staff here put this one over the top for me. Thank you guys for your concern, your help and turning what could have been a disaster into a non-issue.

My ONLY complaint would be no coffee in the rooms. Yes, I know there is free coffee downstairs but, trust me, you don't want me rolling down to the lobby in an animal print bathrobe at 6 am. Happily, Daisy saved the day with having a Keurig delivered to my room. That's right. All you have to do is ask. If I were they, I would just go ahead and stick one in each of the rooms. Just sayin'.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Assistant General Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi RichmondLily,

Thanks so much for your review.

I appreciated all the detail and shout outs for Daysi and Harald! They are some of our very best. As for the coffee, we do provide in-room coffee makers on request. Its our commitment to being Eco-Conscious and small decisions like this one do really add up. If you sign up for Kimpton InTouch, you can add this as a preference to your profile so it will always be setup for you.

622 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Donovan House is quickly moving up my list of favorite hotels. It's location ( 12 minute walk to White House) is excellent, and the rooms are unique with great light and views. I've been in three rooms and all were well done and modern. Other reviews mention street noise. There is quite a bit (and some light noise as well) but not anything that detracts from sleep.

Beyond this, the service has been impeccable. There was a small glitch in my reservation, but Harold took care of it immediately and Dasiy was also helpful. If you have the time, also stop by their restaurant Zentan. Chef Jennifer works miracles with the menu and Joseph and Adrian made my meal the best in a long time!

Room Tip: Rooms are small (aren't they all in DC)? But their upgraded rooms are fantastic. Rooms that look...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi SweetSkyMom,

Thanks for your review.

Location, location, location! We've got the best in the city, close enough to just about everything. I'm even more stoked you got the chance to interact with so many of our very best team members. From the Front Office to the Restaurant Team, the service is great.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Lobby is small, busy, and cramped. Parking is expensive. Doorman nowhere to be found most of the time. Although we were on the 11th floor, there was a lot of street noise. The curtains even when fully closed, let in a lot of light. Was able to hear the couple in the room next to us getting romantic, walls are thin. Carpets in room and hallway were dirty.

This hotel is past it's prime and needs an overhaul

• Stayed April 2013
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi Pmlagz,

Thanks for your review.

Sorry to hear of so many issues with your stay. Good news! We are actually undergoing a full rooms renovation that should address many of the issues you experienced. It is true that our "Living Room" is very popular, especially during our busy season. As for parking, it's pricey but on par with our neighboring Hotels.

Hope you will give us another try in the future,

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We enjoyed a three-night stay at the Donovan House. On balance, we liked the hotel and would stay there again.

We had a King Premier room with a nice treetop level view of Thomas Circle. The room was large with great light (floor to ceiling windows looking out onto two vistas). We experienced no street noise at all. The room's modern decor had a Jetsons feel, which was fun. The low platform bed was superbly comfortable and the desk was large (although its chair curiously lacked casters). The animal print robes in the closet (zebra and leopard) were also fun. The bathroom had a deep soaking tub, a huge farmhouse sink and an unusual plastic shower that you walk into as though you are walking into a seashell (it's footprint is that of a comma). The round part extends into the room itself, and from there looks like a chamber where you'd go to have your molecules rearranged before being beamed up to the mother ship. The shower-tron.

We did have some frustrations. The pocket bathroom door didn't close all the way, and the giant sink didn't allow vanity space for toiletries. There was a list in the bathroom of items available on request, some of which I expect not to have to ask for. The good news is that they will get you anything; the bad news is that you have to ask for everything. It is not relaxing, particularly when settling in after traveling, to have to do an inventory, call housekeeping, and wait for basic items that one expects to be in a hotel room, such as a shower cap and coffee maker. And apparently because the coffee maker is a request item, it's not serviced. It was neither cleaned nor the coffee pods and creamers restocked. I learned I separately had to request those every day.

There were other service issues as well, and although resolved each time, they were a daily frustration. It's not that the employees didn't try--they were invariably nice, professional and eager to please. But things just weren't smooth.

Other nice features of the hotel were its location, restaurant (Zentan), and the daily morning coffee and afternoon wine service in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Hi AnjVW,

Thanks for your review.

Seems like you had a positive stay, but we missed the mark on a few things. You're right, guests shouldn't have to constantly report problems to have them fixed. I am going to make sure our department managers are aware of your comments and look to address each of your concerns.

Hopefully you will give us another shot in the future.

Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The staff there were very kind & helpful, and the smiles all felt very genuine ! I was there for business for 3 nights, and the location (5 minute walk maybe) from the convention center was convenient to say the least. I was on the 6th floor, and found the hallways rather dark, but who cares. Room was not huge but a decent size with King bed (comfy bed), and a weird sort of snails shell shaped shower with a rainfall showerhead that was uinque, but there could have been a tad more water pressure. Room was quiet and no complaints. Would likely stay there again. Got a killer deal on my room at $250/night... yes, that is a killer deal in DC. The room rate posted on the door was $900. Didn't participate in any meals or breakfasts or such there but I heard from another guest it was all good, and they liked the Lobby Wine thing at 5:00pm every day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi 1970muggzi,

Thanks for your review.

You hit the nail on the head, our location is pretty awesome. Literally in the middle of it all.

See you soon,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We love Kimpton properties. The hotel had great service, awesome decor and the location was good. But the window treatments need work - there was light shining in our room all night. It came in over the top of the curtains of a window that was the entire length of the wall. It was like day light all night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Hi RJES,

Thanks for your review.

I appreciate your comments about your stay. We're actually in the process of planing for a full scale rooms renovation and one of the issues that we are looking to address are the curtains. Sorry that your stay was interrupted by the light.

Come back soon?

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Donovan House is a lovely place to stay. I stayed there with a friend (in separate rooms) and both had joined the Kimpton In-Touch loyalty programme in order to take advantage of the free in-room wi-fi and the "Raid the Min-bar" feature before we travelled. After an email exchange that included Kimpton stating they could not link my membership with my booking as I'd booked with an airline, they relented and allowed my In-Touch number to be added to reservation. We duly arrived and the hotel handed my friend a personalised (to Agent X - in keeping with the hotel's espionage theme) invitation to "raid" the mini-bar. I received no such invitation. After a delay in checking me in (no delay for my friend) I was given my room. When I queried the lack of my mini-bar invitation I was eventually given a piece of paper detailing the terms of the deal ($10 worth of food and drink is free per stay) but no key to open the mini-bar (my friend was).

After we left and returned to the UK my friend received an email thanking them for staying with the hotel and a note from the manager to ask for them personally should they return to the hotel in the future. Needless to say I received no such thanks or personalised offer. This all made me feel rather an inferior guest in the eyes of the hotel.

However, that aside, there are many positives to compliment this hotel. It is very clean, very modern and the staff are extremely polite and helpful.

The hotel also does wine and nibble tastings at 5pm where they serve complimentary red or white. A nice touch.

It is also located a 10 minute walk away from the White House and can access further afield points of interest in Washington with the nearby McPherson Square metro station.

Thoroughly recommended although I wish they treated all their guests to the same high level. If they did, it would be a five star hotel easily.

Room Tip: All rooms seem lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi RJES,

Thanks for your detailed review.

I always appreciate the lengthy reviews that provide lots of detail. Really helps me address any issues and acknowledge our superstars. I apologize you did not receive the same departure email about your stay. We typically respond to any guest that completed a Guest Satisfaction Survey, so I am not sure if you had the oppurtunity to do so.

Thanks again,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!