“Outstanding service and a fabulous location, the Donovan House delivers.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1 More
Ranked #51 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
“Outstanding service and a fabulous location, the Donovan House delivers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for my birthday weekend. From the moment I arrived I was treated like a princess. The valet promptly took my car and check-in was quick and easy. As soon as the staff realized it was my birthday the round of genuine 'happy birthdays' started.

I went up to my beautiful king suite and found the current issue of Vogue as well as a local style mag Capitol File. The room was impeccably clean and well-appointed. The style is modern but still comfortable. About twenty minutes after I arrived there was a knock at the door and Samson the bellman came in with a complimentary bottle of wine, sparkling water, a plate of chocolate chip cookies, and a birthday card signed by various members of the staff. It was so sweet and thoughtful.

That set the tone of the entirety of my stay. Everyone was helpful, friendly, and efficient.

Also the sushi bar at Zentan is fantastic

• Stayed March 2013
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hi JelitaJane,

Thank you for review.

First off, Happy Birthday! Thanks for celebrating with us. Seems like you had awesome experiences with our Hotel, but I am most especially pleased with the comments about our team. Hope to have you back soon.

592 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

It had been a while since I last stayed at a Kimpton property so while I was expecting an older hotel and knew about the free "wine hour" I wasn't sure what to expect for this property. The location is actually very good, just being about a 7-10 minute walk from the nearest Metro stop (yes, it's safe at night) and next to a picturesque monument/square across the street.

The check-in staff was friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming (I think his name was Aaron??). This is the way that hotel check-in's should be where they point out where the elevators are and give you other important information. My room faced the back street (not 14th street) and I had a nice view of the monument from the large pane windows but didn't hear too much street noise. The room was 70's funky but in a nice more modern way. The bathroom, while not large was clean and functional----one note, if you're sharing a room with a friend you don't know too well the showers here have an opaque curved wall that faces into the room. You can't see the person but you probably can see the outline/shadow so be aware of this.

The bed was very comfortable and while there was plastic furniture around I didn't feel that it came across as cheap or worn. The mini-bar had a nice array of snacks and wasn't way overpriced like most hotels (at $4 for a small bottle of water it's not cheap either!). I was able to walk around to different sites and neighborhoods both at night and in the day without any difficulty. There are a number of bars down the street (south) of the hotel but most of the restaurants directly nearby seemed as if they catered to the office crowd (breakfast/lunch). I didn't get a chance to try the hotel restaurant but there was a wait most times to get in and most people seemed satisfied when coming out.

All in all, this is a wonderful surprise of a hotel and I would recommend it even though it's not close to the major sites if you are okay with walking (the White House was about a 15-20 min walk away) or taking cabs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HI Manico,

Thanks for your review.

I appreciate the detailed comments about your stay. Seems like an awesome experience with our staff and Hotel. Looking forward to your next review!

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at the Donovan House for a friends wedding and we loved it! This is a modern hotel that's very up-to-date with fun amenities (zebra and cheetah print robes anyone??). The shower is a cocoon style and the bathroom is enormous. The room had a comfortable king size bed and the windows were floor to ceiling.

They offer free wine in the lobby in the afternoons and in the morning there is free tea, coffe and hot chocolate...complete with marshmallows!

They are super pet friendly and will take dogs of all sizes. While we left our fur-baby at home, I heard that any dog checking in will get a welcome bag with a bone in it!

One downside: the parking is expensive...$42 a night! I suppose this is standard for downtown D.C. though and I wont hold it against them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi caracbeara,

Thanks for your review!

You're right, we're 100% pet friendly! You got a chance to experience some of the very best that Kimpton has to offer. One note in regards to parking, I agree it can be pretty high, but we do set our prices based on our neighboring Hotels. Unfortunately, parking space is rare in DC, much less any downtown hotel.

Rancho Mirage, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

A very nice hotel, great location and good service. Rooms seem a bit tired and would expect the price range for DC to be more like $150-$200. Anything above $200 and you will feel the price to the quality of the rooms is not in line. My only complaint would be the black out drapes do not keep the light out. So if you need a dark room to sleep, skip this one. Beds are ok, but at $300 I expected more plush and more comfortable. Shower has an overhead (in ceiling) shower head with low pressure. Large bathroom sink, but no way to fill the basin for shaving as the drain does not close. Restaurant is great and of course the lobby is nice. My first room was on the second floor with all the meeting space and fitness room etc. I moved to the tenth floor and would suggest a higher floor and non-connecting if you are going to this hotel. Walls are a bit thin, and noise will bleed over more in a connecting room.

Great location and great staff. hope this helps.

Room Tip: Higher floor, non-connecting
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi psresortlife,

Thanks for your review.

After reading your comments, I am very pleased to share that we are in the process of planning a major rooms renovation at the end of this year. We are working diligently to address many of the issues you stated in your review. If you have any other concerns that you would like to share, please contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com.

rowboatbeauty
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Nice room, clean, comfy bed, no complaints there but this is a serious one! We were there in the summer and there was a constant influx of people who used the pool, evidentally paid a day fee. It was jammed with people swimming, or rather couples standing around drinking and making out. I could not find a lounge chair, even going up when the pool just opened. Hotel staff offered to drive me to another hotel!? Weird. Sun and alcohol, bar on roof too, not a good mix. People were noisy, drunk until all hours of the night and constantly using patron's elevator, mainly because there are only two.
Called Kimpton and got the cold shoulder routine, not even an apology. If you like this sort of stuff great, it's just that the hotel doesn't advertise this and you should be warned. Other than that, nice location near a Metra and as I said nice beds, too.

Room Tip: Perhaps there would be less elevator activity for you if you stayed on a lower floor?
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hi rowboatbeauty,

Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor.

Gosh, this is the first I'm hearing about these issues. We are very familiar with the issue regarding locals accessing the pool area last summer. We have a plan in place to address this issue for the coming pool season. I agree, not the best atmosphere for our paying Hotel guests. We actually do not offer passes for purchase. I am very sorry that no one followed up with you from Kimpton. Might you be able to contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com?

Let me know,

Centreville, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I were planning on seeing a friend play at a nightclub in DC over the weekend and figured that it would probably be wiser to stay overnight rather than to drive home - St. Patrick's Day weekend and all. We are "locals" so we're not really well-versed in the hotels in the area. We've stayed at a Kimpton hotel before so after researching several we chose this one based on it's location and cost. Because my husband is tall (6'6"), he likes rooms with enough space to move around comfortably, so we booked the king premier room - well worth the extra cost (see picture of view!). The hotel - in general - was great. The staff was very helpful upon check-in; it was happy hour (free wine!) and because our hands were full, the employee offered to walk over and get us each a glass of wine! Our room was on the 8th floor and was amazing. The bathroom was great - and included a great soaking tub in addition to the shower (see other picture). The pocket door could have had a bit of an easier handle, but that's just a personal preference. The room was great. The bed was comfortable. The view was great. And we didn't hear a peep all night. Definitely worth the money and we will definitely try to find a reason to stay again.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money on the king premier room. It's large (especially for DC standards), it has...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi CBMKTM,

Thanks so much for your review.

What an awesome stay! I love the King Premier's myself, they have great views of Thomas Circle and a totally affordable upgrade.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I and another couple booked a four day stay in DC at the Donovan. The location of the hotel was well situated within walking distance from most major sites.

Initially the hotel's very modern furnishings reminded us of something from a Star Wars set with glass chairs in the lobby and the unusual spiral showers in our bedroom. It is novel for sure, but the chairs in our small bedroom were somewhat uncomfortable.

Our TV didn't work during the first night of our stay, so the front desk had a staff person come up within a few minutes to try and fix it. He spent about 60 minutes trying before I told him to forget it. In the morning I notified the front desk that our room was noisy due to traffic (4th floor), the TV still didn't work and that we had no cold water (very hot only) in the shower. The front desk staff was great. They didn't miss a beat, quickly apologized and immediately upgraded us to a suite on the 12th floor where everything worked and there was no noise from adjacent rooms or traffic.

Everyone from the hotel staff was very polite and pleasant and appeared to make every effort to exceed our expectations during the balance of our stay. Overall, we had a great experience.

Room Tip: Try to stay on upper floors to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Travelingallover,

Thanks for your review.

Wow, so sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay. Seems like the Front Desk team really responded well and tried to make things up to you. Still feel terrible that you had to experience the Hot Water issue, which was out of our control, but I do want to make it up to you. Please email me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com so we can chat more.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!