“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel

You added The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
3rd Suite Night Free!
Ranked #43 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute to stay the night before the inauguration. What a surprise. We got a king size bed room at a very reasonable price, considering the date. The hotel was clean and the staff was great! The room wasn't large with only a walk-in shower, but what do expect in downtown dc.

A big surprise was that in the morning the staff had put out hand warmers, water bottles, newspapers, and maps. What a great hotel.

We will stay there again.

Room Tip: a high room to get away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hi Robert S,

Thank you so much for your review.

So happy you were able to sneak in right before Inauguration. It was a super busy time. Appreciate you recognizing the goodies we put out. Always like to surprise and delight our travelers.

Cheers to 4 more years,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Donovan house hotel for 3 days, in a great room with a view of Thomas circle. The rooms and the hotel in general has really nice design. Service was excellent, and they have a very cosy lobby with complimentary wine in the afternoon.
Nice breakfast buffet in the nice restaurant.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of Thomas circle
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hi Camilla V,

Thank you for your review!

All the way from Copenhagen. Love it. You mentioned the Thomas Circle Views. Best room type to book is a King Premier.

Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Frequent DC traveller--first time at Donovan House (Kimpton). Loved it. Large bright and clean rooms. Great location and wonderful staff. Did not use restaurant but plenty within easy walk. Metro stop easy walk. My only complaint was missed wake up call on my departure day which made for real rush to airport I could have done without. Otherwise very pleased and I definitely would stay here again. Ask for room facing Circle on floors 7-10 for best view.

• Stayed February 2013
Hi MarkkOBrown,

Thank you so much for your review.

Yikes! A missed wake up call? That's totally out of character and I am so terribly sorry. Glad you had a great stay otherwise and thank you for sharing the feedback. Will use this information to train the team.

Ding Ding Ding,

Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have been trying to book a reservation using a group code for the past week. I have left message after message for sales. When I call and ask to speak to someone in-house, I am treated rudely and transferred to the call center.

If it's this difficult to make a reservation, I cannot imagine what it would be like to actually stay there. Clearly, they are not interested in cultivating customers.

I would rather pay substantially more per night than stay here, simply based on reservation attempts.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hi librarangrrrl,

Thanks for your review.

I am so terribly sorry that you had such a challenging experience with our reservation process. I am shocked that you were treated rudely. This is not something that happens in our Hotel and I plan to research it fully. If you wouldn't mind, please contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com. I would appreciate the time.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Not only is this place stylish and fun, but the staff have bent over backwards to accommodate my needs and make me feel special. I decided to extend my stay after checking in so that I could be here for my birthday. I mentioned that I was turning 50 this week and wanted to stay through that evening until 7 pm. This is later than a regular "late checkout" request, and it would normally incur an extra night's charge. They waived the charge because of my birthday and guaranteed my very late checkout in advance. Not only that, here's the kicker: when I returned to my room that evening, I found a bottle of Freixenet sparkling wine on ice, a bottle of premium water, and a plate with delicious brownies and strawberries, along with a card signed by several staff to wish me a happy birthday. Amazing!

The other thing I will note is that on the night of the Superbowl, I went to the hotel restaurant, Zentan, 20 minutes before it was supposed to close and found the kitchen shut down. They had had no diners for a while because of the Superbowl. So instead of sending me away hungry, they gave me not one but two different delicious (and substantial) fancy salads, which I took to my room and was plenty full afterward. And they didn't charge me!

The only thing I would improve is adding towel racks in the bathroom. I'd like to re-use towels, and there are hooks but no racks to hang towels so that they can dry out. And there is plenty of room on the walls to add these. A minor issue.

This Kimpton Hotel also has the usual free wine happy hour, with delicious sushi appetizers, and morning tea. Everyone has been extremely helpful and friendly, and as the title says--completely above and beyond what one might expect from a hotel. I will stay again next time in DC--no doubt. Thanks for making my stay perfect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Hi opentoanything,

Thanks for your review.

What an awesome stay! Looks like you experienced genuine Kimpton Care everywhere in the building. So pleased and hope you will return again soon.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

found to be a great location but when we arrived the doorman saw that we had backpacks and did not open door. check-in was great, rooms and corridors were quiet, and we were informed that there would be complimentary appetizers served later in the foyer... went at appointed time and found no appetizers so we decided to look over restaurant...waiters leaning at hostess stand and chatting unappealing sight...found rooms comfortable but the lighting was very dim...called and asked about charges for using business center and front desk person did not know...nice complimentary coffee and tea service in the morning in the foyer...all in all, a decent hotel but would NOT pay $300 for this room...worth around $125-150

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi cindi-from-indy,

Thanks so much for your review.

So terribly sorry that your welcome experience wasn't the most positive. I will be certain to address this with our team. Additionally, we offer snacks throughout the service and specially pass bites from Zentan periodically during the reception. Sorry, if we missed you. Let me know when you return, I will ensure a great stay.

Come back soon,

Pasadena
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Donovan House has the look of an Ikea Showroom, ultra-modern but cheap. The hotel is sleek and clean, full of shiny surfaces, plenty of black and white and little color. Furniture is low to the ground, and the bed sits on a platform without a box spring. One plus is free Internet when enrolling in the Klimpton affinity program, and another is free happy-hour drinks. There isn't much in the immediate vicinity, but the hotel is within a mile of Dupont Circle and Chinatown and not too far from 14th Street restaurants. The hotel can be a fun alternative to standard fare, and is worth considering when the price is low.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Hi Foothill,

Thanks so much for your review.

While I am happy you found our Property to be a fun alternative to "cookie cutter" hotels, I am admittedly disappointed that you found the condition of your room to be sub-par. With feedback like this from other travelers, we are in process of considering a Rooms Renovation in the near future. If you would take just a little more time to share with me the specifics of your stay, that would be super helpful. I can be reached by email at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com.