“Another fine Kimpton stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #55 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Excelsior, Minnesota
“Another fine Kimpton stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Excellent bed and pillows. Large two room layout that readily accommodated a rollaway. Great location for exploring DC. Few restaurants nearby (business area) but metro closeby and $10-$15 taxi to Georgetown or the Hill. Decent room rate but watch out for the parking rate. Would stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Hi Mark L,

Thanks so much for your review.

I like to think we have one of the most walk able locations in all of DC. You can reach all the cool neighborhoods that DC has to offer. I understand the comment about our parking rates as well. After completing numerous competitive surveys of Hotels in our Area and Service Level, they are competitive with the market. Downtown DC can be hard for parking.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Small boutique hotel, staff is friendly and attentive, rooms are chic in a strange 70's way, cocoon showers and ample spaces. their housekeeping service is a little slow but their restaurant Zentan specializing in asian food is very good, the bar at Zentian is excellent as well. A hotel geared for the upscale younger crowds. I didn´t go to the swimming pool and bar on the roof because is winter but was highly reccomended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi eolmosc,

Thanks for your review.

It's true the young and hip love us, but so do families, couples and the seasoned traveler! I like to think that we have something to offer for everyone. Hope you can visit again when the pool is open during the season. Definitely a can't miss.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few days with our tween children who thought it was the coolest hotel they had ever seen. Modern aesthetic with lots of cool touches- hanging glass chairs, shower pod, full panel glass windows with great view. The hotel was starting to show a bit of wear and tear (chips in wood dresser, faint stain on carpet), but neither my husband nor children seemed to notice. We got a groupon and paid $120ish a night which included breakfast (buffet w pastries, wonderful fresh fruit and berries, Tomatoes, mozzarella, prosciutto, fabulous coffee, eggs and bacon and potatoes) as well as a cocktail hour where we drank way too much wine (you could have as many glasses as you wanted) and the kids had 6 or 7 cups of hot cider each as well as a few sushi rolls. Not sure I would rave about this hotel (especially in winter when the pool was closed) if i spent $250 and didn't get breakfast or cocktails, but given how little we paid, we were absolutely thrilled and would highly recommend to anyone visiting dc. Very close to attractions and near a bike share spot so easy to get around without a car.

• Stayed December 2012
Hi VermontMama3,

Thanks so much for your review.

Looks like you took care advantage of all the cool things we have to offer being a Kimpton Hotel. I appreciate you recommending us.

P.S. - There is no such thing as too much wine.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a night while in DC for business. The hotel is chic, clean and in a very convenient location (10 min walk to White House) and 5 min walk from Red Line. Overall I was very pleased with my stay. The Donovan House is billed as a Jetson-themed hotel, and I think this is a very apt description. The free coffee/tea/cocoa in the morning is a nice plus and wireless for $11 is about as reasonable as DC hotels get. Overall I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Hi ShankarP,

The Jetsons...I like it, but with a twist of modern-chic!

Next time you stay, sign up for Kimpton InTouch, our guest loyalty program and you will receive Complimentary Internet Access along with a $10.00 Raid the Mini-Bar Credit. This way you can avoid the internet charge and grab a bag of M&M's.

Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'm a Kimpton believer and have stayed at properties in three cities, this is my second in DC. I'm consistently pleased with the helpful staff and the accommodations. This hotel has a great location -- including a 24-hour CVS across the street -- and was very busy when I was there. The decidedly pop modernist decor may not be for everyone but I rather liked. The beds are low so if you have trouble getting up and down, add a little time to your bedtime. Once in the bed, you have full access to the master controls. There is recessed reading light above your head, plenty of places to plug in your phone/tablet/laptop (Kimpton always gets this right), TV remote control, room lights etc. The bathroom is large and well appointed --shower only --which some will approach tentatively as it is shaped like a nautilus. Very amusing and does the job without shower curtains. May be a tough squeeze if you are very overweight. There is a very busy and tasty asian fusion restaurant/bar right next door -- major scene on Saturday night. My one complaint relates to returning back to my room at the end of a workday and alas, the maid had not come that day. I hadn't left a privacy card on the doorknob so no explanation. The bed wasn't made. The mini-bar not replaced. The waste baskets not emptied. The towels sat where I'd left them. I have no problem cleaning up after myself but it had been a long work day (on a weekend no less) and it was late. The front desk made no further accommodation except to offer maid service at night when all I wanted was to ease into bed. That didn't strike me as very Kimpton and for the record, represents my first unpleasant Kimptom experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello there HuntressCA,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Seems like you had a real enjoyable time, till the very end. RATS! Sorry to hear that we missed out on the stay over service. I'll make sure my Director of Housekeeping looks into that. If you would be willing to give us another shot, please contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com so I might ensure your next stay is an excellent one.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Great stay from beginning to end. Very courteous and helpful staff. Fulfilled every request I had{extra towels, picking up my bags, having the car ready} quickly and graciously. Helpful with directions and recommendations for local places to get food. Very modern and unique rooms. would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
Hi jillybean0366,

Thanks for your review!

Short, sweet and to the point. Looks like we nailed it. Thanks for sharing.

Lewes, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I am pleased to say that this hotel had gone above & beyond what we were expecting for our stay at The Donovan House in DC, we were celebrating a special occasion and were delighted by the staffs complements and congratulations on it. They also provided us with a full sheet of restaurants within walking distance (or a short cab ride) from the Hotel & at the wine hour the man who was pouring drinks was also great with recommendations on some of his favorite places in town. The staff could not have been more kind and helpful. Staying here was a delight. Michelle K

Room Tip: The corner King delux room that we had was bright and great views, no street noise for the exception...