“Great location & excellent deal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel

You added The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
3rd Suite Night Free!
Ranked #43 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great location & excellent deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a night while in DC for business. The hotel is chic, clean and in a very convenient location (10 min walk to White House) and 5 min walk from Red Line. Overall I was very pleased with my stay. The Donovan House is billed as a Jetson-themed hotel, and I think this is a very apt description. The free coffee/tea/cocoa in the morning is a nice plus and wireless for $11 is about as reasonable as DC hotels get. Overall I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Hi ShankarP,

The Jetsons...I like it, but with a twist of modern-chic!

Next time you stay, sign up for Kimpton InTouch, our guest loyalty program and you will receive Complimentary Internet Access along with a $10.00 Raid the Mini-Bar Credit. This way you can avoid the internet charge and grab a bag of M&M's.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I'm a Kimpton believer and have stayed at properties in three cities, this is my second in DC. I'm consistently pleased with the helpful staff and the accommodations. This hotel has a great location -- including a 24-hour CVS across the street -- and was very busy when I was there. The decidedly pop modernist decor may not be for everyone but I rather liked. The beds are low so if you have trouble getting up and down, add a little time to your bedtime. Once in the bed, you have full access to the master controls. There is recessed reading light above your head, plenty of places to plug in your phone/tablet/laptop (Kimpton always gets this right), TV remote control, room lights etc. The bathroom is large and well appointed --shower only --which some will approach tentatively as it is shaped like a nautilus. Very amusing and does the job without shower curtains. May be a tough squeeze if you are very overweight. There is a very busy and tasty asian fusion restaurant/bar right next door -- major scene on Saturday night. My one complaint relates to returning back to my room at the end of a workday and alas, the maid had not come that day. I hadn't left a privacy card on the doorknob so no explanation. The bed wasn't made. The mini-bar not replaced. The waste baskets not emptied. The towels sat where I'd left them. I have no problem cleaning up after myself but it had been a long work day (on a weekend no less) and it was late. The front desk made no further accommodation except to offer maid service at night when all I wanted was to ease into bed. That didn't strike me as very Kimpton and for the record, represents my first unpleasant Kimptom experience.

Hello there HuntressCA,

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Seems like you had a real enjoyable time, till the very end. RATS! Sorry to hear that we missed out on the stay over service. I'll make sure my Director of Housekeeping looks into that. If you would be willing to give us another shot, please contact me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com so I might ensure your next stay is an excellent one.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Great stay from beginning to end. Very courteous and helpful staff. Fulfilled every request I had{extra towels, picking up my bags, having the car ready} quickly and graciously. Helpful with directions and recommendations for local places to get food. Very modern and unique rooms. would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
Hi jillybean0366,

Thanks for your review!

Short, sweet and to the point. Looks like we nailed it. Thanks for sharing.

Lewes, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I am pleased to say that this hotel had gone above & beyond what we were expecting for our stay at The Donovan House in DC, we were celebrating a special occasion and were delighted by the staffs complements and congratulations on it. They also provided us with a full sheet of restaurants within walking distance (or a short cab ride) from the Hotel & at the wine hour the man who was pouring drinks was also great with recommendations on some of his favorite places in town. The staff could not have been more kind and helpful. Staying here was a delight. Michelle K

Room Tip: The corner King delux room that we had was bright and great views, no street noise for the exception...
Hi Michelle K,

Thanks so much for your review!

We really love special occasions. When someone books our Hotel for a special reason, I feel obligated to take care of them. Not only did you book a room, you chose to spend this special moment with us. Glad you had a great time.

Thanks for Sharing,

Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hotel was great. I went for my anniversary. Upon check-in, the staff said happy anniversary. they remembered what my purpose was for staying at their hotel. 10min after going into my room, staff brought up a bucket of ice with champaign, chocolate covered strawberries, and a beautiful card with many signatures saying "happy anniversary". Mind you, all of this was complimentary- FREE! The hotel did not have to do that, but they did. The room I stayed in was the king premier. It was very nice. I decorated it with rose petals and a lot of other things to make my stay even better. WIth the lights dimmed, it gave the room that special setting. I had a massaging team come up and provide services. That was wonderful. At the end of the night, I soaked in a nice soothing bubble bath. This hotel was wonderful. you won't regret staying here!

Hi Queenz_21,

Thanks for your testimonial.

I see you could certainly feel the love with us! So happy you chose to spend your anniversary with us at the Donovan House. Maybe we'll see you in 2013? I sure hope so.

Memphis, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

As my girlfriend says, the room looked like a space station cabin. That was enough to make my stay quite enjoyable. Luckily, the service was impeccable and the staff was extremely friendly. The social hour was fun and warm with a different selection of wines each night.

The sliding door to the bathroom was a little difficult to close due to its weight.

Hi Michael R,

You are cleared for take off!

Appreciate the funky description about our Room. It does have a very cool command center type sleekness to it. Now if only you could beam from your room straight to our Evening Hosted Wine Reception. That would be something.

See you soon,

Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I know I seem to write a lot of glowing reviews, but I'm lucky to stay in some pretty fabulous hotels. That streak continued with another of my favorite hotel chains, Kimpton, recently at The Donovan House in Washington DC. At check-in, I was greeted with the offer of a hot toddy, even though I had just narrowly missed "guest happy hour." The friendliness and attentiveness continued throughout my stay, and was even carried over to the accompanying restaurant Zentan. I enjoyed my experience there so thoroughly one night, that I returned the next! I, for one, am a huge fan of almost all of Kimpton's design choices, and the Donovan was no exception. The natural light in my room was so great, I rarely used the other lights (except at night). The view was fun, and I'm a big fan of the "snail" (circular pod) shower, although I also took advantage of the deep tub. I didn't have the elevator problems that others seem to have, although I stayed during a time that the rooftop bar was closed. The only thing that tainted the experience was the $42 a night for parking...one of the highest I saw for that area. That's the only reason I'd give this a "very good" over an "excellent." The staff and management are obviously excellent, and I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great hotel experience in the Washington DC area.

Room Tip: Anything away from the elevators and on the higher levels will help mitigate noise. If possible, tr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Hi Tara C,

Wow, what an experience!

So many positive things your stay. Loved the part about the staff and management. However, I did want to speak to the parking prices being set based on the market and our immediate competition. I know it can seem high, but parking can be a valuable commodity in a downtown metro area.

I hope you will still return!