“Nice location, nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
B&B in the City
Ranked #55 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas, USA
“Nice location, nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed for three nights, the first night was a Kimpton reward night. It was a little awkward because I had to check back in to ensure my keys were reactivated. Fortunately I didn't have to move rooms.

The King Premier room I stayed in had a nice view of the square. The showers in all the guest rooms are translucent to the room, so be mindful if you are staying with mixed company or are a modest showerer. The bed was comfortable and I enjoyed the modern feel to the room, but the lighting was lacking and the sink, while massive, lacked in counter space. I also wish the tv had an hdmi input, but this seems hit or miss in hotels these days.

The wine reception was good with some passed appetizers and the mod hanging chairs were fun.

I always enjoy my Kimpton experience. Nice location to all the sights and a good view from the rooftop, even though it was technically closed for the season

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Hi Ryan M,

Appreciate the review!

Great comments about your stay. Real awesome. Visit us again when the Rooftop is Open!

Cheers,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

First time at a Kimpton property and from the time I made the reservation to the time I checked out, it was an incredible experience. We have a big 115lb dog and there was absolutely no questions asked about our stay. Outstanding room with a beautiful view. Service and food (lunch and breakfast) were outstanding. Everyone was superb. Special kudos to Kevin (check in), Mark (Check out) and Laura (reservations). We will be back. Oh, our furry friend gives you all a high five too-great walking parks close by with many friends.

Hi Peter F,

Bow wow (Thanks for your review!)!

Just finished thanking Kevin and Laura for your stay! Now my time to thank you for witting a review. Hope you come back soon.

Thanks,

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Loved it. So does everyone else which says something about the property. But extraordinarily, I never went to the roof bar in the whole week we were there, and considering Washington was having an Indian summer prior to hurricane sandy I don't know how I missed it! Great hotel, fun atmosphere, good breakfast but for $19++, I do expect a whole muffin not a quarter of one because they ran out of Danish! Very fed up to arrive back Ina Australia to a bunch of extra charges on the 5 rooms booked in my name presumably for mini bar charges when all of the occupants were Kimpton in touch members. It would cost me more in phone calls to get these reversed but its seriously petty after spending more than $10,000 for rooms to hit me up for 50 bucks of cashew nuts. Not impressed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi SadTravelingOnMyOwn,

Thank you for your review.

I am so happy to see that you had such a great time at our Hotel. I wanted to say sorry about the extra charges, but would be happy to help to get this straightened out. Email me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com so I can get you taken care of.

Let me know,

Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am going to be brief..... I love Donovan House :)

1. Great location (about 10 min walk from the white house)
2. Excellent customer service
3. The buffet for breakfast was delicious, and I was looking every morning to eat a delicious an healthy meal
4. Lovely decor
5. Everybody was very helpful and friendly
6. Nice decor and very comfortable beds and rooms in general.
7. We did not get to use the pool because it was closed for the season :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hi Grace A,

Thanks so much for your review!

1. You are awesome.
2. Thanks for being awesome.
3. Let me know when you would like to come back to share your awesomeness.

Cheers,

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I spent a long weekend in Washington this past October. I got a room at Donovan House after bidding on Priceline. Overall I was quite pleased. It is close to MacPherson Square subway stop, and walkable to the White House and Mall. Very, very clean and excellent sleep quality. Service was very kind and helpful. Across the street is a CVS Pharmacy and close to coffee shops.

This is a relatively new hotel and has a very modern, hip design; not a hotel I would normally select on my own, since I am not the demographic Kimpton is targeting. It has what I refer to as “Austin Powers” interior design, and I kept wanting to say “yeah baby!” in the white enamel elevators and down the deep purple corridors. I had a king room; bed very comfortable and excellent curtains that kept the light out. No alarm clock, though. They expect everyone to have a smartphone, I guess. No hard cover hotel directory either, and I could not find one on the TV. I always look at those when I travel.

The design of the bathroom is very modern—one huge square sink, which to me is like a trough. Funky design, but when you brush your teeth, it takes a while for the sink to drain. The shower design is also adventurous. The wall that separates it from the bedroom area is transparent for watching silhouettes, I suppose. Fabulous good-sized bathrobes are available. No coffee maker in the room. I had a busy weekend ahead of me and did not have time to experience other amenities in the hotel. I did have excellent sleeps each night because of the bed quality, light control and comfort of my room.

Room Tip: Since I found my room on Priceline, they put me on the 10th floor, which was quite comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hi SoloSpirit,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review!

I appreciate all your comments, they were groovy. In the future, you can always request a coffee maker during or before your stay, we will have it ready for you. Additionally, all of our rooms have iHomes which do serve as docking stations, but also have functionality for Alarm and Radio Functions.

Hope to see you soon,

Kirtland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was in Washington, D.C. on a business trip. Although I have stayed at other Kimpton properties in the area, I had not stayed at the Donovan House and it was the only one in the group with rooms available at government rates. Although my flight was late in arriving, I was greeted warmly at check-in as warmly as the first customer of the day and my room keys were immediately available. The suite was gorgeous, well-appointed, and had every amenity that a business or pleasure traveler could ever need or desire. The desk space was much larger than provided by most hotel standards and the couches were as comfortable as home. The bedroom had relaxing, yet adequate lighting and the bathroom and shower was the most contemporary that I have ever seen. When I checked out in the morning, the man who checked me out insisted that I stayed in the warm lobby while he hailed a cab for me. Wow! Service with a smile, superb accommodations, and a level of sincere kindness and caring rarely seen in the hotel industry!
Dr. Carol Cunningham
State Medical Director
Ohio Department of Public Safety, Division of EMS

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hi DocMaynard,

Thanks so much for your review!

Seems like you just had an AWESOME stay! While there were so many things to acknowledge, my favorite were your comments about our staff. They really went above and beyond.

Hope to see you soon.

TAXI!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

the hotel was clean, sleek and modern and nicely funky. We had a king suite, which was spacious, but a friend in a regular room complained that it was a tad small or "NYC sized". I did not see his room so this is hearsay. The hotel is not located in a place where you can walk to "everything" - you will need a cab or metro to get to tourist sites, but if you know and can navigate DC, this is not a problem. Perfect for conference and business meetings. Gym was paltry but they have an agreement with a healthclub next door.

Room Tip: get upgraded to a suite
Hi F S,

Appreciate your review!

Thanks for staying at our Hotel. We offer many Room Category options that will increase the square footage and room exposure. My favorite would be the King Premier, which feature panoramic views of Thomas Circle and greater Northwest DC. We encourage our guests to Workout "Like a Local" by having a partnership in place with Balance Gym, which allows out guests discounted memberships.

Take Care,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!