“Groovy.... Plus plus” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1 More
Ranked #48 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Australia
“Groovy.... Plus plus”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Loved it. So does everyone else which says something about the property. But extraordinarily, I never went to the roof bar in the whole week we were there, and considering Washington was having an Indian summer prior to hurricane sandy I don't know how I missed it! Great hotel, fun atmosphere, good breakfast but for $19++, I do expect a whole muffin not a quarter of one because they ran out of Danish! Very fed up to arrive back Ina Australia to a bunch of extra charges on the 5 rooms booked in my name presumably for mini bar charges when all of the occupants were Kimpton in touch members. It would cost me more in phone calls to get these reversed but its seriously petty after spending more than $10,000 for rooms to hit me up for 50 bucks of cashew nuts. Not impressed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Hi SadTravelingOnMyOwn,

Thank you for your review.

I am so happy to see that you had such a great time at our Hotel. I wanted to say sorry about the extra charges, but would be happy to help to get this straightened out. Email me at Abe.liao@donovanhousehotel.com so I can get you taken care of.

Let me know,

586 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am going to be brief..... I love Donovan House :)

1. Great location (about 10 min walk from the white house)
2. Excellent customer service
3. The buffet for breakfast was delicious, and I was looking every morning to eat a delicious an healthy meal
4. Lovely decor
5. Everybody was very helpful and friendly
6. Nice decor and very comfortable beds and rooms in general.
7. We did not get to use the pool because it was closed for the season :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hi Grace A,

1. You are awesome.
2. Thanks for being awesome.
3. Let me know when you would like to come back to share your awesomeness.

Cheers,

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I spent a long weekend in Washington this past October. I got a room at Donovan House after bidding on Priceline. Overall I was quite pleased. It is close to MacPherson Square subway stop, and walkable to the White House and Mall. Very, very clean and excellent sleep quality. Service was very kind and helpful. Across the street is a CVS Pharmacy and close to coffee shops.

This is a relatively new hotel and has a very modern, hip design; not a hotel I would normally select on my own, since I am not the demographic Kimpton is targeting. It has what I refer to as “Austin Powers” interior design, and I kept wanting to say “yeah baby!” in the white enamel elevators and down the deep purple corridors. I had a king room; bed very comfortable and excellent curtains that kept the light out. No alarm clock, though. They expect everyone to have a smartphone, I guess. No hard cover hotel directory either, and I could not find one on the TV. I always look at those when I travel.

The design of the bathroom is very modern—one huge square sink, which to me is like a trough. Funky design, but when you brush your teeth, it takes a while for the sink to drain. The shower design is also adventurous. The wall that separates it from the bedroom area is transparent for watching silhouettes, I suppose. Fabulous good-sized bathrobes are available. No coffee maker in the room. I had a busy weekend ahead of me and did not have time to experience other amenities in the hotel. I did have excellent sleeps each night because of the bed quality, light control and comfort of my room.

Room Tip: Since I found my room on Priceline, they put me on the 10th floor, which was quite comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hi SoloSpirit,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review!

I appreciate all your comments, they were groovy. In the future, you can always request a coffee maker during or before your stay, we will have it ready for you. Additionally, all of our rooms have iHomes which do serve as docking stations, but also have functionality for Alarm and Radio Functions.

Hope to see you soon,

Kirtland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was in Washington, D.C. on a business trip. Although I have stayed at other Kimpton properties in the area, I had not stayed at the Donovan House and it was the only one in the group with rooms available at government rates. Although my flight was late in arriving, I was greeted warmly at check-in as warmly as the first customer of the day and my room keys were immediately available. The suite was gorgeous, well-appointed, and had every amenity that a business or pleasure traveler could ever need or desire. The desk space was much larger than provided by most hotel standards and the couches were as comfortable as home. The bedroom had relaxing, yet adequate lighting and the bathroom and shower was the most contemporary that I have ever seen. When I checked out in the morning, the man who checked me out insisted that I stayed in the warm lobby while he hailed a cab for me. Wow! Service with a smile, superb accommodations, and a level of sincere kindness and caring rarely seen in the hotel industry!
Dr. Carol Cunningham
State Medical Director
Ohio Department of Public Safety, Division of EMS

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hi DocMaynard,

Thanks so much for your review!

Seems like you just had an AWESOME stay! While there were so many things to acknowledge, my favorite were your comments about our staff. They really went above and beyond.

Hope to see you soon.

TAXI!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

the hotel was clean, sleek and modern and nicely funky. We had a king suite, which was spacious, but a friend in a regular room complained that it was a tad small or "NYC sized". I did not see his room so this is hearsay. The hotel is not located in a place where you can walk to "everything" - you will need a cab or metro to get to tourist sites, but if you know and can navigate DC, this is not a problem. Perfect for conference and business meetings. Gym was paltry but they have an agreement with a healthclub next door.

Room Tip: get upgraded to a suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi F S,

Appreciate your review!

Thanks for staying at our Hotel. We offer many Room Category options that will increase the square footage and room exposure. My favorite would be the King Premier, which feature panoramic views of Thomas Circle and greater Northwest DC. We encourage our guests to Workout "Like a Local" by having a partnership in place with Balance Gym, which allows out guests discounted memberships.

Take Care,

Springfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had high hopes for the Donovan House considering it is one of the newest additions to the Kimpton brand. While certain aspects of my stay were great, overall I didn't find the Donovan House to represent the typically fantastic Kimpton experience - a first-time Kimpton guest wouldn't know what they were missing!

First, the good: The staff at the Donovan House was great. I stayed at the Donovan House during Hurricane Sandy, and the staff went out of their way to make sure that guests were comfortable and taken care of. The front desk staff were always pleasant and able to take care of requests quickly. The location is also great; it's just a few blocks to the Metro, a great Whole Foods, and some good restaurants, and a bit longer walk to the Mall and to Dupont Circle. The wine reception was fantastic, and even featured a tasty hurricane drink during the worst of Hurricane Sandy.

The not-so-great: The rooms look far too worn for a hotel so recently renovated. The carpet was coming up, the walls were scuffed and chipped, and fixtures in the bathroom were loose or broken. The lighting in the room is very dark. My room lacked the promised "cocoon shower" that was described when I booked the room - not a big deal, but for this and other reasons the room description on the website didn't match the room I was given. There was also a lingering odor of smoke in my room, but I'm not sure whether that was a holdover from the days when the Donovan had smoking floors, or if it was from neighbors violating the no-smoking policy.

For me, the greatness of Kimpton has always been its ability to do the little things well. It's clear that the staff at the Donovan House are trying their best, but more needs to be done to bring the Donovan House up to the standards of the Kimpton brand. I might try the Donovan again some day, but for now I'll stick with other DC-area Kimpton properties.

Room Tip: Request a courtyard-facing room if you're sensitive to road noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Amanda G,

Thanks so much for your review.

Always appreciate the good, the bad and the ugly. Just to clarify, Kimpton took over Management of the Donovan House just this year and we are working on items to be refreshed in the coming year. We are working on upgrading many elements of the Hotel, to include the Room Condition. Also mentioned, was that you might be interested in returning at some point. I would be happy to personally arrange your stay for you. Feel free to email me at Abe.liao@dononvanhousehotel.com.

Cheers,

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend. Very clean hotel, modern interior with a cool swanky lobby. Walking distance to most monuments. The hotel bar/restaurant was very modern (Bill and Emilio of the bar good guys, gave us some knowledge of where to go at night). Happy Hour with Kimpton from 5pm-6pm in the Lobby was nice with free wine and beer. Rooms are very modern with platform bed; however not lit so well. They should add more lighting near the closets. Bathroom has a modern cylindar shower that sticks out into the room with frosted glass for privacy. Great street view from most all rooms as well.

Room Tip: Valet parking at the hotel is $42 per day. Plenty of street parking around hotel, just be concscious...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi Christopher T,

Thanks so much for your review!

So many positives with your stay. Bill and Emilio are pretty awesome, not to mention the food in Zentan is stellar.

Hope to see you soon,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!