“Cool and Cooler” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1 More
Ranked #57 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis
“Cool and Cooler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

What I loved most about the Donovan was their amazing team! After that, you should know that the rooms have great design--for comfort, cool factor and functionality (which is important for work travelers). I'm a big fan of their complimentary happy hour in the lobby and the pool bar area was a perfect place to shake off the day. I also ate in their restaurant Zenten and would give their food and staff high marks as well.

I travel frequently for work and it's always a treat to stay in a hotel that feels like it's in a neighborhood--good for those who like to walk and run outside for a change. Thomas Circle is abuzz with neighbors and lots of dog walkers.

If you're heading to DC for the tourist spots, you'll either have a bit of a walk or need a cab. I enjoyed being a bit off the main drag since you walk so much that a cab is a nice break.

PS: The funky leopard fuzzy bathrobes were a treat!

Room Tip: Ask to be high up so you get a better city view and less street traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Hi there Harken,

Thanks so much for your review!

As you mentioned, it takes more than one thing to deliver an awesome Hotel Experience. The most important in my opinion are the people that work at the Hotel. You seemed to agree!

Hope you come back soon,

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I can not thank the staff (Mark and Cleopatra) for all the wonderful extra touches to make my husbands birthday extra special last weekend! We had a rough start but the staff was able to turn it around! I give them a 110% Thanks again and we will definately be seeing you soon. Kirsten Newman-Teissier and Nat Teissier.

What's up Kirsten L?

Seems like Cleopatra and Mark are what's up!

I appreciate you writing the kind review about your stay. While experiencing some turbulence upon landing, seems like we were able to right the ship ultimately leading to a great time. Let me know when you come back so I can personally take care of your stay.

Cheers,

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed in DC for a conference and chose this hotel rather than the conference site . . . what a great move! The room was perfectly comfortable for one or two, super comfy bed and plenty of closet and drawer space for clothes. Really nice soaps and toiletries, and a hair dryer that actually WORKED! Amazing! The best feature, however, was the walk-in shower that physically stood in the middle of the room inside an opaque cylindrical structure. Totally fun. My only complaint is that the robes and towels smelled very faintly of hospital antiseptic - never had that happen before. And when I ordered room service, they neglected to inform me of the size of the portions, which ended up in me way over-ordering. Nevertheless, it's a great location and I would return again for sure!

Room Tip: I enjoyed overlooking Thomas Circle, tho there really were a lot of Night lights so if you need dark...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello KLangsley,

Appreciate you posting a review!

The showers ARE indeed pretty cool. Sorry to hear about the issue with our towels, which was very surprising to me! Like all Kimpton's, we use only EcoFriendly Cleaning products and practices, which always means a pretty "fresh" stay. I'll look into it and also check on the InRoom Dining suggestions.

Come back soon,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The rooms were a good size and the bathrooms use great soaps and the location is superb. This hotel would be ideal as a city break for solo travelers or a young couple--not for long term business travel.

The street lights from outside shine through the room as the curtains do not extend far enough to block the light.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Hello carnaj2011,

Thank you so much for posting your review.

Seems like you had a great time with us, but unfortunately may not have been specifically your cup of tea. I appreciate the feedback as we are taking steps to ensure that we are appealing to all. Also, wanted to let you know that we are addressing the street light issue with our curtains. A permanent fix should be coming very soon.

Many Thanks,

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Kimpton Hotels never let my husband and I down. Each hotel is stylish, hip and unique in its own way. While every Kimpton hotel that we have been to offers impeccable customer service, Donovan House is hands-down the best that we have experienced thus far. I would like to say that Janina, Mark and Sean especially made our trip fantastic. They were extremely helpful and were genuinely invested in making sure that everything was perfect for both of us, as well as our mini-daschund Oscar! I felt like they took the time to chat with us as long-time friends, rather than a customer. The hotel itself is right up our alley with the funky decor, complimentary wine hour, and yet again, another AMAZING Kimpton restaurant- Zentan, adjacent to the lobby. I would absolutely return to this hotel and fully recommend staying there if you have not already.

Hi NewYorkGina,

Best ever??? Yes you are!

Thanks so much for posting this first hand account of your stay! You certainly encountered some of our very best in Janina, Mark and Sean. Glad Oscar had a woofin' good time too!

See you soon,

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We really enjoyed this hotel. The front desk staff were excellent. We were able to enjoy the rooftop pool and the bartender was fabulous! We stayed there with a group of friends to enjoy an evening out in D.C. I loved the look of the hotel and location. It is definitely not your typical hotel. It is very retro! We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hello MNT0429,

Thanks so much for your review!

Glad you got a chance to experience our rooftop. Great views, pool and awesome bar service is what you get. I will pass along a good work to the team at the Front Desk as well.

Cheers,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My daughters and I spent 3 nights at the Donovan and were generally very pleased with the location, cleanliness and service. It was close to everything we wanted to see along the National Mall, including the monuments, the White House and the Smithsonian; a straight 10 minute walk down 14 th Avenue. A metro stop was also on this street....fabulous system!
It was my birthday during our stay and the Donovan went above and beyond leaving a cheese and fruit plate and a bottle of wine in my room to celebrate. They addressed me by name even when I wasn't at the desk and I felt like they really value their patrons.
The only thing I didn't love was the decor and that is simply because I usually stay in very traditional hotels and this was a retro design. The padded walls in the hotel room left me feeling a bit claustrophobic but my girls loved it. Parking was also a bit expensive at $42 a night with in/out privileges. We didn't have any need for the car though because we were so close to everything.
Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Abe L, Manager at Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Hi Jacquie V,

Thanks so much for your review!

What an awesome stay?!? Looks like we really took care of you for your birthday and the Hotel was to your liking. I agree, we are conveniently located to the National Mall, 14th Street Corridor and other neighborhoods like U Street and Dupont Circle. Our design does to lean towards a Chic Modern Style, sorry it wasn't your ideal setup.

Hope you return next year!

Assistant General Manager

Been to Donovan House - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!