“Date night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel

You added The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel packages
GreenLeadersSilver level
Warrenton, Virginia, USA
“Date night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Recently stayed at the Kimpton for my birthday and was upgraded to the 14th floor in a king suite. The front desk warned me that it could be noisy due the rooftop bar. We did not have a problem, in fact enjoyed a few cocktails and the view with the younger crowd.

The restaurant downstairs was fantastic for shushing and great waitstaff and bartenders.

I would rate the hotel higher but the furniture showed it's age and was chipped in many spots. Cool hotel if you are looking for a smaller boutique hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Abe L, Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hello Travel5Va,

Thanks so much for completing a review about your stay!

I too love the 14th Floor. Kind of feels like having private access to the rooftop! Glad you got a chance to experience both the Donovan House Rooftop and Zentan. Both are awesome locations to hang out. I also appreciated your comment about the condition of the Hotel. We are in the process of putting together plans for some refresh items that will dramatically impact the condition of our rooms. More to come!

Cheers,
Abe

Abe Liao
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Saint Peters, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was here about 2-3 weeks ago and I had a fabulous time let me tell you!
A gentleman named Darryl from the front desk was so incredibley helpful. We were greeted with such friendliness and sophistication. I was rather impressed with how immaculate the staff and decor was. Anywho, Darry directed us to the rooftop bar where we were just awestruck with the view. The bartenders were so sweet, and I feel I really got my moneys worth in terms of my drinks.
I will never forget the customer service I experienced with Darryl and the bartenders. They made my trip to DC unforgettable.!

Room Tip: Did not stay in room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We a quick little intown staycation to celebrate our anniversary and chose the Donovan House this year. It was a wonderful experience. The rooftop pool is great and you can order drinks in the afternoon. The only thing to keep in mind is they don't serve any food until after 5 so you'll want to get lunch somewhere else. The room is great, with a cool little leather nook around the bed. In the evening they have a hosted happy hour. The night we were there it was a really delicious watermelon sangria and a selection of some red and white wines. We went to Zentan for dinner. Great sushi and definitely order the Singapore slaw. Fantastic! The best part of the hotel was the service. They were always, friendly, helpful and went above and beyond. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

It was my boyfriends birthday and all he wanted to to was go to DC! I looked at hotels and went with The Donovan house an I'm really glad I did!
I told them I we celebrating a birthday and they presented us with complimentary drinks and desert, sent a brownie up to our room and made sure we were comfortable through out our stay. The rooms are really cool, contemporary but still very roomy! If you sign up to be a rewards member (which is free!) they give you $10 towards the mini bar, which was also very nice!
The staff was wonderful, I felt like I was staying at the Ritz! Definitely will stay at Kimpton hotels again!!

• Stayed August 2012
İstanbul
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

we spent 5 nights in donovan house mid july. This was my 5th time staying in donovan house. In previous stays i was always satisfied with the service and the quality of overall room. ı have learnt that they were sold to kimpton hotels last year. In my opinion this change made donovan house more of a regular 4 star hotel than being a boutigue and attentive hotel. I had a feeling that they lost their detail oriented approach existed in my previous visits. however the pool and comfortable rooms will make me give one more try on donovan house on my future visit to dc hoping that my negative feeling was just the bad weather in dc during our visit...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MMJennings, General Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Hi Achilles O.

I would love for you to contact me to share more details about your experience. We really feel that we have increased the level of service with things like our complimentary wine hour and free morning coffee and tea service. We have fully empowered the Front Office staff, added Operators and doubled the number of Bellmen. Please let me know how your experience compared to other stays. I hope you will email me at mark.jennings@kimptonhotels.com and i look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Mark
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was throwing a bachelorette party in DC and decided to stay at the Donovan House b/c of the rooftop pool/bar. We checked in just in time to enjoy the free wine hour which included some fabulous sangria. Unfortunately the rooftop had been rented out for a party and although we were super disappointed, the manager more than made up for it with a discounted room, breakfast and free drinks at the hotel bar.

I will definitely be back. My only advice is to make sure the poll/bar isn't rented out if that is why you want to go.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor and had no problem with noise!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was an amazing place to stay in. We paid for the king executive but the hotel ended up giving us the Donovan House Suite which was spectacular. I felt like I was living a dream in that hotel room. My fiance set up an amazing proposal and the staff, to say the least, helped him in every way they could. The staff there really is amazing and friendly. They set up the room for the proposal with flowers, candles, champagne, etc. Anything my fiance needed they were ready to help, of course without me knowing anything!
The hotel is gorgeous and we had an amazing view of the circle. The bar/pool on the terrace is definitely fun and trendy.
I would definitely stay here again on our next trip to D.C. It was a memorable trip and the Donovan House hotel and staff made it even better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!