“A jewel in the middle of DC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel

You added The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1155 14th Street, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20005 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #45 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Centennial, Colorado, Usa
“A jewel in the middle of DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I have stayed several times at the Donovan while visiting DC. The hotel is at the intersection of 14th St. NW, Vermont, and I Sts. and is about a half mile walk from either the Farragut North or McPherson stations.

On my most recent trip, I was upgraded to a junior suite, which I found modern, spacious, and very comfortable. The room overlooked 14th and I Streets, and yet the soundproofing was amazing. I barely heard any traffic noise at all. The bed was large, the shower somewhat futuristic, and there was a large flat-screen TV in the room (which was furnished with modern furniture). There is an attractive display of snacks on the counter (go ahead, try to ignore it), and you are drawn to it the moment you walk in the room. About the only drawback was that there was no coffee maker in the room, which I found odd.

As this room was picked up by my company, I don't know how much the room cost was, so I can't comment on value. However, the hotel is a nice little jewel when staying in DC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
MMJennings, General Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Hello Mellon,

I am so thrilled that we were able to make such a good impression on you. We like to think we are a little jewel as well. To answer you question about coffee makers, we choose not to have them in the rooms because we offer complimentary coffee and tea service in the lobby every morning. It is a far superior experience to any in-room coffee that I have tried. We hope to see you again soon.

Mark Jennings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Billed as a 4-star boutique hotel, it was really just an average 3-star. Very friendly but not overly knowledgable staff. In mid-March, 2012, the hotel was changing ownership/management from Thompson to Kimpton. Hopefully the new owners will put in the money to refurbish a tired hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
MMJennings, General Manager at The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
HI Salonee,

I see that your stay was in March. Good News! As of April 11, the Donovan House did indeed become a Kimpton Hotel. We had the luxury of having a tremendous transition team sweep through the hotel and add in all of our best loved Kimpton features and amenities. The staff is indeed extremely friendly and accommodating and they have all graduated with honors from Kimpton's Care and Comfort Training Academy. We can't wait for you to return and see the difference.

Cheers!

Arlington, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Spacious, clean room & fantastic view rooftop pool! Within walking distance to the mall & other great sights. The restaurant is good too. My 10 year old loved the swinging chairs in the lobby. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The only thing I can say even potentially negative is the pool closes too early. The roof top becomes a nightclub bar of sorts & there was a line going from the elevators out the front door of the hotel each night.

Room Tip: upper floors have a fantastic view!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Jackson, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Stayed for one night and could not be happier. Location was very good and staff was excellent.

• Stayed April 2012
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Very modern hotel with chairs hanging from the ceiling and beautiful decorations. Stayed here as a couple and always booked through Hotel Tonight so the room never cost more than $80. The first time we had a suit on one of the top floors with a view of the square. The shower was incredible with twisted walls and an open entrance. The staff was very helpful, moved quickly and had our room ready on time. The second time was in a smaller room, low lighting, bed low to the ground..very cutting-edge. There is a restaurant and bar inside right to the left of the front desk.

There is valet parking right next to the hotel, otherwise you can find parking on the street if you have 20 minutes to kill.

Room Tip: Book through Hotel Tonight the day of.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband. We had to extend our stay last minute for a conference and our original hotel was full. We stayed here for one night. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The room was a bit small. Not much space to turn around (I think we had a queen size room). I liked the location of our original hotel better because it was closer to the convention center and restaurants. However, this hotel has a cool, unique and friendly atmosphere. I would splurge for a bigger room next time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for your review, Mango_Trees. While there are a just a few small rooms, we do indeed have many room types that are much larger and with what are likely some of the best hotel room views in DC. I'm sorry you only had one night with us as I would have loved to have you experience our standard deluxe king rooms or one of our many upgrades. If you are returning to DC, please contact me so that I may oversee your room selection myself.

Regards,

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Nice stay, the hotel was clean and modern, but the bed was very hard and a bit uncomfortable. Other than that, nice stay and helpful staff. Very very good location, rour room had a view of Thomas Circl which is right outsid the hotel. Metro station is within walking distance and so is everything else really, you can walk pretty much everywhere, but bring comfortable walking shoes!!! All in all good hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Donovan - A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!