You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #102 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

I booked this room directly through Marriott using points from my credit card. I was a little skeptical due to all the reviews but all other hotels using my points were not available. Check-in was very easy and the staff very helpful. Some websites said parking was free but I was charged about $11 per day. That was still cheaper than at other hotels. The room was very nice, clean, and the beds very comfortable. My kids also enjoyed the pool area. Having freshly baked cookies in the lobby is a nice touch. They also have snacks and drinks that you can purchase. The breakfast - which comes free with your stay - is great. You can make waffles, there are breakfast sandwiches you can microwave. There was a nice variety and everybody found something they enjoyed. The shuttle was great. We took the shuttle to Union Station and from there walked to the U.S. Capitol and some of the Smithsonians. We ended our trip that day with a walk through the Holocaust Museum and were so pooped we decided to take the metra back to Union Station and wait for the shuttle. We got to Union Station 15 minutes past the hour which meant the shuttle would have just left. But no need to worry, you can take the Holiday Inn Express Shuttle (hotel located right next to the Fairfield) which arrives at Unions Station 45 minutes past the hour. All was good. The front desk clerks were very nice. One even gave us two metra passes. One still had money on it and the other was no longer any good - but still - providing us with the one was very generous. If I stayed in the D.C. area again with my family, and could not find a hotel available for a decent price more closer to the action - I would definitely stay at the Fairfield. As for price, since I used my point from my credit card, I was only charged for parking. Keep in mind, when I checked out, it said the room cost $334. I know it can be found cheaper online or even if you just call them. If I had to pay that kind of money per night - I would not have stayed here. For that price, I could have stayed at a hotel closer to all the action in D.C..

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

The hotel room was very nice and clean. The breakfast was simple but nice. The hotel shuttle to Grand Central Station was alays on time and very useful. The bad news is that our first night a college group was very noisy all night and the hotel staff tried, but failed, to quiet them down. The next night that same college group partied more and ultimately turned to violence as one women was stabbed. No sleep was possible that night as the police were there most of the night. It also seemd that prostitutes visited the hotel. It may be possible to have a nice stay here but you are rolling the dice.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was the third Marriot Fairfield we have stayed at. Very clean and nicely designed. The staff was friendly and helpful. Free full breakfast in quite a nice eating breakfast area. Free coffee was always available in the lobby - as good as any coffee shop's. Parking is free, as well as WiFi.
There is a brand new Holiday Inn attached to this property (also new) and they share a free hourly shuttle to the Main train and subway station on The Mall, about ten minutes away.
The area around the hotel isn't great to look at, but not bad either, with some stores closed down, etc., but we didn't spend any time outside there anyway. It was a great value for the money, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Roma, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

The building was new ad the interiors ok, but this hotel lacks of any essential services.
I arrived by 9pm and suddenly understood there was no way to eat. No coffe shop no minibar no restaurant. There was a refrigerator in the lobby with only ice cream inside.
The area looks quite unsafe and there are no restaurants around except a few fast food. I asked the lobby for a restaurant and was addressed to a "excellent" bbq restaurant which turned to be a very poor and questionably clean take-away.
The following morning I ordered a taxi and had to wait 40 minutes till it came, moreover I had to share it with three other patrons since only one cab arrived (and confessed "who would ever come here? I'm here because i live nearby").
I would not recommend anybody this hotel. I'll personally not go again.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

I don't know if TripAdvisor will actually post this because I have honestly never stayed here, and I understand the concerns with fraudulent reviews. However I am not commenting on the hotel so much as the area it is in. As a native Washingtonian I just want to make sure our visitors understand that this hotel is actually in a terrible area and I would never, ever recommend that people stay around here or even visit after dark. I am not sure whose decision it was to build a seemingly nice hotel in the middle of a red light district, and I do not advise that you waste your money on a location that is not only unsafe but far away of the nicer parts of our lovely city.

Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Providence,RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

When we walked in the staff was very friendly and told us everything that we know about the hotel and washington dc. The room was very nice and clean. With a flat screen tv and cable, so I didn't miss my shows. The hot breakfast was nice, I loved the waffles. We used shuttle to get to get to downtown washington and it came back to pick us back up. the neighborhood had some restaruants and a lot of shopping centers. Overall it waas a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I booked this hotel on booking.com and got a great rate. I received a confirmation and when I arrived at the hotel (after 14 hours in the car with 2 kids), I was told that they did not have the room that I booked and gave me a smaller room. The front desk clerk was extremely rude and argumentative. She told me that even though I had the confirmation letter with me that they didn't know anything about booking.com. After about 30 minutes of waiting and frustration the manager finally gave us 2 king suites instead of the 1 double suite that i booked. That worked out even better. The rest of the staff at the hotel were very nice and accomadating, however they did not have a lot of info to offer on tourist attractions or dining or anything else. A hotel in a tourist city should have more knowledgable people to help their guests get to their destinations. The hotel itself is beautiful. Very clean and comfortable. The housekeeping staff tidied up and made our beds everyday, they were wonderful. The beds were extremely comfortable and the showers had the best water pressure and shower heads I have ever seen in a hotel. The pool was a huge disappointment to our 2 girls. It was more like an oversized bathtub instead of a pool. Very small and cloudy with a very strong chlorine smell. We wouldn't let the kids swim in it. The location of the hotel however was a little scary. It was in a rundown, poor section of town. There were gas stations and a few fast food restaurants. We ate at KFC the first night and it took over 30 minutes to get our food. Ever where seems to be extremely under staffed. No where to get aspirin or items that you may have forgotten(no walgreens, Walmart, Target, grocery store, etc.). The room itself was very comfortable, but If I went to DC again I would stay in Virginia. It is a short drive away and the towns are very cute and accessable. With lots of shops and restaurants. If you are just looking for a comfortable place to lay your head at night, then I would suggest here. But, if you don't like shady areas and may need to go out and get a few items or food, I would suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/New York Avenue? Share your experiences!