“Very good for what we paid for!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Hilton

You added Washington Hilton to your Saves list
Washington Hilton
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1919 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Adams Morgan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $99!
Ranked #83 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
ontario
“Very good for what we paid for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We got this hotel for $85 a night on priceline and thought we got an AWESOME deal so we certainly weren't complaining when things weren't perfect! But I'll share the good and not so good anyway! I rated the value as very good but that's only a reflection on what we paid!

GOOD: Dupont Circle and the Metro is about a 15 minute walk away. So are lots of great restaurants! We had the best Thai food just down the street. Sorry...can't remember the name but it was on Connecticut Ave, down a few blocks from the hotel and across the street.
When we arrived at the hotel we were told how to get to the visitor parking lot by the valet and though it seems as if you are going way out of your way this Hilton is pretty large and you are actually just heading to the other side of the building. Parking is $35.00 a night! WOWZA!! BUT what we paid on Priceline...I wasn't complaining!
We booked the Red Top Tour Bus the second morning for $45.00 a person. Wish we would have booked it for the first day because for 48 hours...it's only $10 more per person! The metro is a bit confusing (prime time and non prime time fairs) so having the tour bus right outside our door was awesome! Downside is it says 24 or 48 hours but its actually on 9am-6pm and you pay extra for the evening tour. If you are somewhere after 6pm, plan on taking the metro. Tour bus drops you right back at the hotel on the (yellow?) route! Saves on the feet!
We stayed on the 4th floor and our room was a long walk from the elevator. Room was decent. Black mold or discolouring in between the tiles in the bathroom. Gross!
View was good!
Cleaning staff gave us fresh towels and replenished our soap and shampoo. I however don't think the sheets were changed in the 3 nights we stayed.

NOT SO GOOD: no free WIFI in the rooms? What's up with that?? I've never not had free WIFI in my hotel room. Planning a scheduled video chat with the kids...we proceeded to do this in the lobby! OH WELL!! There are 4 computers in the lobby you can use and lots of tables to set up your own laptop.
Did I say the parking is $35.00 a day?? WOWZA AGAIN!!
Upon checking in, we were asked if we'd like a wake up call and we said yes...at 8:00am. Never had one! Thankfully we woke up around that time the first morning! The next night, we set the alarm!
The bathroom door had a window in it. Not one you can see through but there's a safety light in the bathroom that will not turn off and it would shine through the door window. I like pitch black to sleep so this bothered me. The air conditioner is a bit loud!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellen F, Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thanks for reviwing the Washington Hilton. We are happy you found the hotel a good value. The neighborhood location of the hotel is certainly a large advantage and it's great to read you enjoyed it. The tour bus is also a great way to see DC. We hope to host you again at the Washington Hilton on your next trip to the Disctrict of Columbia.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I cannot say I share some of the latest reviews here, saying it is a horrible hotel. I am a former DC resident and this is by all means a good hotel for the price. However, I only stayed for a weekend arriving very late on Friday and leaving early on Sunday. The hotel is in an amazing location north of Dupont Circle, close to very good restaurants and shops. Walking distance to Metro (red line) and Adams Morgan. I experienced a good clean room in the 3rd floor. I did not experienced the restaurants. The AC was noisy. I can definitely stay here again for the price and will definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing the Washington Hilton. It's very nice to read you enjoyed the hotel so much. We appreciate your intent to return and the recommendation to stay here to other potential guests. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to DC!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I totally don't think it is a horrible hotel. The amenities are great. Rooms are clean and the food at the restaurant are satisfactory. But I did not enjoy the customer services that I personally received while I was staying there. I have stayed at many Hilton hotels before and this experience could have been much, much better. This might actually be a great hotel, but I'm simply rating it based solely on my personal opinion. While I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, it is still worth a try; in addition, D.C. is a great city and Hilton as a corporation is a great company. I would not avoid all Hilton hotels or visiting DC solely based on a customer's negative experience. And I think they are working really hard to make improvement on the customer service. Just choose wisely.

Room Tip: Check out reviews prior to making reservation.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Ellen F, Manager at Washington Hilton, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington Hilton. It is clear you enjoyed the hotel as a facility and are a fan of Hilton in general. It's unfortunate to learn you didn't get the satisfaction guaranteed service that we pride ourselves on. Please return on your next trip to DC and allow us to make it right.
Orebro, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a huge hotel, if you get your room far away in a long corridor you will be walking a lot. The poolarea is great. Noicy AC. Comfy beds. The area north of the hotel (Adams Morgan) is really nice for som great party nights. 15 min walk from Dupont Circle metrostation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for reviewing the Washington Hilton. It's clear you enjoyed our pool, comfortable beds and great location. As DC's premiere convention hotel we look forward to hosting you again when you return to Washington.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I arrived late, but the gentleman who checked me in was very pleasant. The moment you walk through the door, you enjoy a wonderful aroma that is very pleasant. The rooms are nice, and the public areas are clean and spacious. The breakfast on the 10th floor was included.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing the Washington Hilton. It's so nice to read that you experienced friendly service and liked the hotel so much. Please return on your next trip to DC!
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel is in a great location, and somewhat what you would expect from a hilton in terms of what it has to offer - however i had a horrible experience staying here this past weekend.
I am a few weeks away from giving birth and things got off to the wrong foot when i called to request a King room before checking in, was told that was fine, upon checking in I was told that a king would not be available since most of the hotel rooms are doubles. I went up to the room - and then the keys did not work (had to then go all the way back down to get the keys activated). The room was ok - but not as clean as I would expect from a Hilton or another hotel in this range - hair around the tub , in the corners and dust all over the bathroom.

On my first morning there i had the security lock on the door - thankfully because the housekeeper did not bother to knock prior to just opening the door! when she slammed the door into the security lock she just closed it again ... no apology, nothing.

I never did get my room cleaned that day. The next day I called housekeeping as I was leaving to ask for housekeeping, although they replaced the towels, the sheets were not changed, and the bathroom was not cleaned.

I had to extend my stay by 1 night, knowing that the hotel may not figure this out I asked at the front desk if I could just keep my existing room - to avoid moving for the additional night. I was told that was fine - no mention of having to do anything else! When I called to confirm this again in the morning I was told I would have to go downstairs and have my keys replaced (why they didnt do this the day before or tell me this previously i dont know! - when i went down I was asked "Do you want a king room ! because you were booked for one!"

On the day i was going to check out (which is at 11am) I called at 7am to ask for a late checkout. The front desk person (i was i had taken their name) said no problem to check out at 1pm. Around 11am I was constantly interrupted by housekeeping - when i explained i had a late check out, they said "i dont know"... after this happened a few times, my husband called front desk and they said that there was no record of a late check out - although we used the hotel phone to call at 7am, and that since check out was at 11am we would be charged a half day stay - I feel that the hotel staff let this place down, they are not helpful and their communication systems need to be overhauled, ie if you speak to a guest on the phone and say its ok to get a king room, or late check out , then at the very least write it in the log!

What was the worst is that instead of considering that a Hilton employee could have give us a late check out and forgotten to put it into the computer system - the front desk staff just assumed we were lying .

There are many great hotels , within the same location and price range in the area - I will not be staying at this hotel (and will probably avoid hiltons in general after this stay - i have never been treated this poorly as a guest at other chains (Starwood or Kimpton for me!)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to review the Washington Hilton. It's clear from your review that you did not experience the type of stay we pride ourselves on as excellent customer service is one of strong suits. Our management team has been informed of your isses and has reacted accordingly. Apologies on behalf of the team and we hope you'll return to the Washington Hilton in the future to experience the level of satisfaction we expect for our customers.
Collingswood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton DC this past weekend. The hotel is a 15 minute walk from the Dupont Circle Red Metro Station with the last part up a bit of a hill. Lots to do in Dupont Circle including an excellent Ice Cream shop with homemade ice cream named Larry's. The hotel self-parking is expensive but was not in the mood to search the neighborhood for street parking. The room I stayed in the first night and later joined by my wife and 2 year old had 2 double beds, was clean and comfortable, although the sliding bathroom door was noisy when closing. The staff was ok, but not especially friendly in my few encounters during the 2 night stay. I rated this property a 3, but probably more like a 3.5. The encounters with the staff knocked off my final rating a bit but a decent hotel and got a reasonable rate through Priceline.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for reviewing the Washington Hilton. The location of the hotel in historic Dupont Circle offers great local businesses to get a truly DC experience for our guests. I imagine your two year old really enjoyed Larry's ice cream. Please return to the Washington Hilton on your next trip to DC!

Been to Washington Hilton? Share your experiences!