“Will Definitely Stay Here Again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Willard InterContinental Washington

You added Willard InterContinental Washington to your Saves list
Willard InterContinental Washington
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Will Definitely Stay Here Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2005

Just like some other reviewers, my husband and I had second thoughts after reading the few bad reviews of this hotel. However, we are so glad we did not listen. The location is great and the staff was extremely courteous and helpful. We were upgraded to a very large suite with a great view of the Washington Monument. We found the hotel itself to be very elegant and quiet. We also did not notice any smoking odors - to which I am normally very sensitive. We will definitely stay here again when we visit Washington.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

My husband and two teenage nephews stayed at the Willard for two nights on August 5th through 8th. I must admit that after reading some recent reviews here about the smoking and less than helpful hotel staff, I was a bit hesitant to stay at the Willard, and almost switched to another hotel. I am so glad that I did not let a few disgruntled patrons change my mind. In fact, my concerns were gone from the moment I walked into the fresh-smelling lobby and then into our rooms, which were fresh, spacious and lovely. My husband and I had a large king bed room with spacious marble bath. My nephews had an adjoining room, with two double beds, that was even larger than ours! The hotel staff were helpful and polite, and the location can't be beat. We had the Willard Weekend package which included upgraded rooms, breakfast, parking and passes to ride the trolley. With teenage boys, an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet was a huge plus. We definitely would stay here again on future visits to DC. The Willard truly lives up to the expectations one would expect from a top notch hotel.

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

We stayed here because The Willard is "the place to stay in DC". The hotel is lovely but any granduer of the lobby is lost due in part to rude staff and management. We arrived late on the first night and were checked in by a very rude agent. When I asked to speak to a manager he informed me that he was the manager and that if I needed to speak to someone else I would need to wait until Monday morning. Our room was lovely but when your first impression is clouded by poor service it's hard to enjoy the stay. I will not be staying at the Willard anytime soon. Perhaps they should just call it a glorified Holiday Inn and be done with it.

• Stayed July 2005
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

The Willard Intercontinental Hotel in Washington, DC has the best location in DC. The Willard is located two blocks from the White House and within walking distance of the National Mall.

The room that my family and I stayed at included two queen beds, a luxurious bathroom with a toilet and bidet, large/spacious room and two views of Washington, DC. On one window, we had a view of 14th Street and on the other window, we had a view of Pennsylvania Avenue. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room was tastefully appointed with colorful decor. We saw a few rooms in the hotel and noticed that no room appears to look alike. Each room has a different theme/color that makes each room special.

The lobby was amazing, with each of the 50 states being represented with their seals on the golden ceiling. The concierge desk is located on the left hand side and is where Jeff, Michael, and Alex are ready to help you with dining reservations and making your stay in Washington, DC a memorable one. (The only setback to the lobby is the fact that guests are allowed to smoke, but besides that aspect, the hotel is excellent) *Concierge can help guests with complimentary Holocaust Museum tickets and sells Spy Museum / Trolley tickets.

My family and I were unable to dine at the Willard Room and Cafe 1401, but both dining options are available to guests. Cafe 1401 is a casual restuarant where breakfast and lunch are offered daily (Dinner on Sundays). The Willard Room is the luxurious dining room where dinner is served nightly and is a great place for a romantic dinner. For great food outside of the hotel, be sure to visit the Old Ebbit Grille and Georgia Brown's.

We were at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel for the 4th of July weekend and were glad to see that the Willard was the most patriotic hotel in the area. The front side of the hotel was covered with American flags.

With excellent hotel accomodations, a luxurious lobby, great concierge service, and walking distance to the historic sites and a trolley stop in front of the hotel....the Willard Intercontinental Hotel is the place to stay during your visit to Washington, DC.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
Whitefish, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

Stayed one night at the Willard. Lobby contained some beautiful wood work and the ceiling was interesting (with all of the states and symbols). That is the best thing I can say about The Willard.

Smoking is allowed in the lobby. But, the whole place smelled of smoke. Including our non-smoking room. The bed linens are worn out. You could hear everything going on outside (even though we were on a high floor). That has to do with the age of the building and the windows being old and not insulated for sound I suppose.

I would not suggest staying here to anyone. It is not worth the rate and frankly I would not stay a night for free.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

During my two-night stay, I was generally very pleased with my room, which overlooked the courtyard, and with the service. A minor issue was the slight musty odor to the room which I soon ceased to notice. The only other negative was the noise from construction in the courtyard, which I believe was the reconstruction of their fitness center. Apart from that disturbance, the room was very quiet. I did not notice noise from banging doors, which another reviewer complained of and which has bothered me at some other hotels. I also found no basis for another reviewer's complaint of unfriendly staff. The staff were more reserved than at some other hotels, but they were polite, pleasant, and efficient, which is all I expect. I did strike me, though, that in a city with an Afro-American majority, blacks seemed to be under-represented at the front desk. I hope that this impression was mistaken.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Reading, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

Have just got back from a 4 night stay, room was large and clean, bathroom was also clean if a little dimly lit, very quiet and slept very well, great location, staff and service excellent. It was the added details that made it a little special, i.e chocolates and next days weather report when the beds were turned down after we returned from a long day out siteseeing. We paid a vastly reduced rate for the accommodation, due to my work, but I have to admit I would grumble at paying full price for a room which I see as 3 star, but I have to add it was a 5 star service.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Willard InterContinental Washington? Share your experiences!