“Did anyone say beautiful hotel?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Willard InterContinental Washington

Save Saved
You added Willard InterContinental Washington to your Saves list
Willard InterContinental Washington
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
San Mateo, California
“Did anyone say beautiful hotel?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I always read what other trip advisor reviewers say about properties in a city I am about to visit. Thanks to the glowing reports on trip advisor about the Willard, I made a reservation there. What a good choice! Someone commented that if you are willing to spend a certain amount of money for a hotel in DC, you might as well leap up a few dollars and get the best. I am so glad I listened. First, I booked with the hotel. The lady who assisted me with the reservation really worked to find me a room with a lower price using all the discounts that could possibly apply. Among the best reasons for choosing this hotel is that it is close to everything. You don't need rapid transit or taxi cabs to get to the White House. It is on the same stree! You can walk to almost everything.As for the hotel, it is luxurious, stately, classic, yet friendly. Many presidents have stayed here, but don't worry that it will have an air of snobbery. It does not. As with any first rate hotel, the room was beutifully decorated and spacious. They anticipated what you might need with the usual quality products, coffees and teas, and even a scale.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

1,213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Indonesian first
Middlesex County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The Willard was old fashioned elegance with modern day convenience. The staff was pleasant and accomodating. Our room with a king bed was roomy. The location was fantastic. It was nice to walk thru the Willard history room.

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I arrived driving in and the bellman greeted me promptly. The valet had to be convinced to take my car, however. He seemed very focused on one car and a time and unable to multi-task.

A seamless and prompt check-in, where I did inquire about the direction the room faced, I was assured it would be to my liking, but it was not. I called to change rooms and the bellman was able to take me to a room, not north facing, but west facing, which was much brighter and a better layout than the first room. I don't know why hotels pick certain rooms to put you in, but I know that when I inquire about sun direction on check-in, most often the staff has no idea what direction the rooms face, or that it matters at all.

The room I was given ultimately overlooked the courtyard and was much brighter. I had a most amazing conversation with the bellman who brought me to my room. A great departure from the mostly polite and brief conversations. It was very refreshing to have this dialog.

The day being beautiful and long, still, I went to eat at Cafe du Parc, downstairs at the hotel and it was absolutely spectacular. The setting: the Air Force jazz band playing across the street, just enough of a chill in the air to make it comfortable to sit in the sun and not sweat at all. Just the most spectacular setting. Of course, you are on a busy road where cars, busses and cabs are alternatively buzzing by and stopping, but it absolutely felt like a Parisian cafe for those very reasons. I would have liked to dine at the Occidental, but my plans took me elsewhere offsite for the evening out.

My two requested newspapers were on the door the next morning and I happily made my way to the breakfast buffet after in room coffee that was easy and pleasant enough. The buffet isn't anything to write home about, but the atmosphere was comfortable and accommodating. I stolled over the the White House which is within a half block of the property. The morning was beautiful and it was On check out, everyone treated me quite well.

The lobby is lush and stunning, though smaller than the photos make it look. I would come back, but with parking, breakfast, light lunch and room the price was $700 for one night. The weekend rates I see advertised at $225 vs $519 would make this place a great value. As it stands, it is a night in paradise. Worth it if feeling indulgent.

Nonetheless, I would come back to this hotel. I did love the location. Convenient to most of what the place has to offer. I did not use the Metro because I had my car and was able to walk where ever I wanted to go.

One thing to note: Security. When I came back from breakfast, the maid was in my room and I told her I'd be checking out shortly and I pushed her out as I wanted the time before my meeting to pull things together. She made certain that my room key worked in the door before she would relinquish the room. I thought this was clever. Also, I went to get my car on my own, and there too, a security measure was used to insure that it was my car. I thought this odd, but reassuring in many ways, too. That is a trained staff. And, yes, in my head, I wondered if I looked too unlike the normal hotel user and was being targeted. But, no, I looked like everyone there and this was just a very alert staff. Good training!

Room Tip: Rooms facing South or West are sunny. Rooms facing North are quieter and darker.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1401HotelManager, Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear strategic2020,

Thank you for your complimentary feedback regarding your recent stay. I appreciate your wonderful observations and will advise our team to use your feedback to better service our guests. The Cafe du Parc terrace is spectacular at this time of year. We're delighted to be able to hear the most wonderful music coming from across the way in Pershing Park. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Washington, D.C.

Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Just stayed at the I/C Willard in a large newly renovated room and they could not have been nicer at check-in. Hotel lobby is quite grand and imposing, the room was large, the bedding was pillow-top soft and the A/C worked really well.

The downside of staying in such a magnificent historic hotel was that getting hot water for the shower was a bit of a chore due to the old plumbing of the property -- one had to wait for the water to become hot. Another negative and one that is inexplicable to me given the nature of the hotel, is that the TV, although flat screen, had no HDTV reception, whatsoever, even though it had quite a few TV channels from which to choose. In fact, some channels had snow while others had lines through them. Management should rectify this shortcoming immediately.

Complimentary bathroom amenities such as the lemon and verbena soaps, etc. were quite nice and the staff were very kind to me by sending up some desserts because I was celebrating my birthday at the hotel.

I can certainly recommend the hotel, just be forewarned about the TV reception!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear OFTEN_HOMEBOUND,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am happy to see you had a memorable experience with us. I want to apologize for the poor television reception. We are making advances in moving our televisions to HD capability. Thank you for your recommendations and they were well received. We look forward to seeing you soon on your next visit to our Nation's Capital.

Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

If I could choose the best possible location in DC, it would probably be that one. The hotel is wonderful, charming and very clean. The rooms are great and some have a nice view too.
Also, we had a normal room and when we arrived we received a free upgrade to a better room, without asking for it. That's service!
Well, it is a bit expensive, but if you can afford it, it is great great great. I booked some months in advance and by paying in advance I received a very interesting discount, even without considering the free upgrade.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear LightMatt,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your visit to the Willard. Nathaniel Hawthorne once wrote, "the Willard Hotel more justly could be called the center of Washington than either the Capitol or the White House or the State Department." Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have just returned from spending a long weekend in Washington and enjoying a wonderful stay at the Willard Hotel.
From the moment of our warm welcome in the stately reception lobby to the time of check out the experience was outstanding. The guest rooms are large, beautifully decorated, clean and well layed out. The staff are polite professionals with warm smiles and a genuine interest in making your stay memorable and worry free. The location is perfect for exploring the city and the concierge will go out of his way to make your wishes come true if possible. A true step back in time strolling through the lobby, halls and sitting areas. One only has to sit back and imagine a time long ago and the elegance that makes this hotel so special. A true landmark in the city.
Without a doubt this will always be our go to hotel.
To each and everyone who made our stay so special and memorable---"Thank You".
If you are going to Washington and have a chance to stay at the Willard you will be glad you did. A truly outstanding hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1401HotelManager, Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear tisim,

Thank you for taking the time to share with your comments on your recent stay. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your long weekend in Washington. Our team takes great pride in maintaining our beautiful property while promising exceptional guest service. Thank you for your positive feedback which will be shared with the team and making the Willard InterContinental your hotel of choice while visiting Washington, D.C. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

A great hotel with great history behind it. The service was outstanding, you could have a few more people at reception to cut down the wait time. Room was smaller than expected but comfortable. Food was first class. Location to other restaurants is ideal. Quick walk to the White House etc. recommend this fine old girl

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1401HotelManager, Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear guy g,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback. The culinary team will be glad to hear that you reviewed their cooking as “first class.” We are fortunate to be within walking distance to many of the historic sites and are happy you found it convenient. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Washington.

Hotel Manager

Been to Willard InterContinental Washington? Share your experiences!