“Couldn't ask for anything more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Willard InterContinental Washington

Save Saved
You added Willard InterContinental Washington to your Saves list
Willard InterContinental Washington
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #11 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Hillsboro, Oregon
“Couldn't ask for anything more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've tried to get a reasonably priced room at the Willard for many years because of its historic relevance. I finally got one that fit within my travel allotment (~$200) and now, it will be difficult to go back to anything less. The location can't be beat if you want to see any of the museums or monuments. There are many great restaurants within walking distance. The staff was very friendly, helpful and more than willing to share historic information about the property. My room was quiet, roomy and the bed very comfortable. I hope I can afford to return. Keep a look out for specials and don't be afraid to call to see if you can get a better rate than is listed on their web site.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

1,210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Indonesian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

What a great hotel. Super location, incredible staff, great spa. If you want a two-day "get away" without getting too far away, it's the best place you can go. Comfortable bed, super clean rooms, modern amenities, and a great overall experience. And not overpriced like a couple of other hotels I could mention. Tremendous experience.

Room Tip: Go for the suite upgrade--well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Juneau, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was in D.C. for business and needed something centrally located. The Willard had the best prices, especially given the location. Turns out it is very upscale, classy, beautiful, and historic. The staff was excellent! The concierge was friendly and helpful, as were the bell hops and valet. This will be my number one pick for trips into the city because the location was amazing - only two blocks from The White House!
The only issue is transportation to and from airports. If you are flying in and out of Reagan or maybe Dulles then the taxi fare probably is okay, and worth it. The Metro would work if you don't mind dragging your luggage to the Metro stop - but that can be a big hassle sometimes. Taxi to BWI is like $70, so beware.

Room Tip: the higher the better - further away from street noise and offer better views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

A great hotel with super service and a location you can't beat. My wife and I stayed at the Willard for 4 days in Feb and toured DC. We walked to everything except two of the restaurants where we took cabs. All of the major attractions are within walking distance.

The bar is small, intimate and loaded with history. The service is exceptional and staff is very accommodating. We did not eat at the hotel because we wanted to try several other restaurants in the city.

This will be our hotel when we return to DC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Willard is a gorgeous hotel, with top-notch decor and an awesome location (right next to the White House!). But, what really made our stay was the wonderful staff. From check-in, until our departure, everyone at the hotel went out of their way to make our stay special.

We went to the Willard for my husband's 30th birthday. I wanted the weekend to be relaxing and stress free. The hotel (especially Karan Patney!) went above and beyond to make that happen. They set up a beautiful five course custom (vegan) meal at the Cafe du Parc, with printed menus with our names on them and some of the best dishes we have ever had. And, at the end of the meal, the waiter brought out champagne and a birthday card signed by the kitchen staff. It was very sweet and more than I could have hoped for. It has been a few weeks and I am still thinking about the meal we had there.

I found the Willard to be a great place to recharge. Our room was beautiful, clean, comfortable, and quiet. But, I think what makes the Willard such a special place is how much they care about their customers. The only regret I have is that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Bank, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Grand hotel with great location.
Bellman ignored me coming in and front desk clerk was very disinterested
I was on a business trip only staying one night but was given room 206. I overlooked the bottom of the portico and the pigeon netting when i looked out the window.
was not up to a move but realized my mistake when the bellman carts started rolling people to cars at 4:30 in morning. really hard to believe a great old hotel like this would rent a room like this and I am an Intercontinental member. Very disappointing.
Will have to try again and demand a real room.
Stay off the second floor

Room Tip: Room 206 and 208 are right over front door and adjacent to spa and meeting rooms avoid the second...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear bigjac15,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so glad you liked the fine location of our hotel. I would like to apologize you were not satisfied with the room accommodations you received and the service you encountered did not live up to your expectations. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Why are you traveling to D.C.? If you just want to get in and get out, and you like taking taxis everywhere, and you're passionate about mid-80's beige-box architecture, then by all means- find a chain hotel at the airport. But if you are going to D.C. to walk where our nation's founders walked, to really see and experience this place where so much history has happened and to make a lot of memories, you owe it to yourself to stay at The Willard.

The Willard is old. How old? Every president since Pierce has stayed there (see Wikipedia). There are lithographs of Teddy Roosevelt drinking cocktails in the lobby and bragging about hunting. A main hallway in the hotel is called "Peacock Alley", after the ladies who would sashay through the building in the 19th century in their fancy gowns. To stay here is to stay in your very own museum of DC history (and the building itself actually does have its own museum- stop by, there are lots of interesting things to see!). Since falling on hard times and closing in the late 60's it has been lovingly and accurately restored to its original Lincoln-era glory. Breathtaking!

As for the crisis referred to in the headline: I was traveling with two friends of mine, a couple who happens to be expecting. Upon returning to our room one night (a very well-appointed Executive Suite with a view of the Washington Monument and the Treasury) we discovered that the master bedroom smelled strongly of cigar smoke. This is not good for pregnant people. One phone call and about 10 minutes later, we had been upgraded to the Calvin Coolidge suite- there was no hesitation there! They immediately sent up a bellhop and we swiftly relocated to our "new digs". We really appreciated the quick and conscientious response to our issue.

And, although it's not likely that you'll be staying in the Coolidge Suite (Coolidge, by the way, took his oath of office at The Willard), you should be advised that it comes with its own oval office. Seriously, just a large oval sitting room which made us all feel quite presidential. It also has a separate room for the coffee maker.

Despite all these positive words, I find myself wishing I could rate this at 4 1/2 stars, rather than the full five. The reasons are minor: though it was big and very luxurious, our upgrade suite didn't seem to be as updated as the previous one. There was only one shower, for instance (I know, "only" one shower is pushing it as far as complaints go, but it's a huge suite with multiple parties involved. A second one would be nice). We also lost our pull-out bed- because of the oval-shaped room, the couch had to be curved which ruled out using it as a bed! And I've been blown away by hotel staff before, and while there are no specific complaints about the very professional folks at The Willard, I was not blown away. I told you they were minor reasons.

But I'm going with 5 stars anyways. The history, the location, the lobby, even the hotel bar- it's all just too special and too unique to downgrade. So, 5 it is.

Cheers and Safe Travels,
Patty

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Willard InterContinental Washington? Share your experiences!