“Excellent! The Willard went Above and Beyond to Make our Stay Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Willard InterContinental Washington

You added Willard InterContinental Washington to your Saves list
Willard InterContinental Washington
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #11 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent! The Willard went Above and Beyond to Make our Stay Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Willard is a gorgeous hotel, with top-notch decor and an awesome location (right next to the White House!). But, what really made our stay was the wonderful staff. From check-in, until our departure, everyone at the hotel went out of their way to make our stay special.

We went to the Willard for my husband's 30th birthday. I wanted the weekend to be relaxing and stress free. The hotel (especially Karan Patney!) went above and beyond to make that happen. They set up a beautiful five course custom (vegan) meal at the Cafe du Parc, with printed menus with our names on them and some of the best dishes we have ever had. And, at the end of the meal, the waiter brought out champagne and a birthday card signed by the kitchen staff. It was very sweet and more than I could have hoped for. It has been a few weeks and I am still thinking about the meal we had there.

I found the Willard to be a great place to recharge. Our room was beautiful, clean, comfortable, and quiet. But, I think what makes the Willard such a special place is how much they care about their customers. The only regret I have is that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Red Bank, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Grand hotel with great location.
Bellman ignored me coming in and front desk clerk was very disinterested
I was on a business trip only staying one night but was given room 206. I overlooked the bottom of the portico and the pigeon netting when i looked out the window.
was not up to a move but realized my mistake when the bellman carts started rolling people to cars at 4:30 in morning. really hard to believe a great old hotel like this would rent a room like this and I am an Intercontinental member. Very disappointing.
Will have to try again and demand a real room.
Stay off the second floor

Room Tip: Room 206 and 208 are right over front door and adjacent to spa and meeting rooms avoid the second...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Willard InterContinental Washington, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear bigjac15,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am so glad you liked the fine location of our hotel. I would like to apologize you were not satisfied with the room accommodations you received and the service you encountered did not live up to your expectations. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Why are you traveling to D.C.? If you just want to get in and get out, and you like taking taxis everywhere, and you're passionate about mid-80's beige-box architecture, then by all means- find a chain hotel at the airport. But if you are going to D.C. to walk where our nation's founders walked, to really see and experience this place where so much history has happened and to make a lot of memories, you owe it to yourself to stay at The Willard.

The Willard is old. How old? Every president since Pierce has stayed there (see Wikipedia). There are lithographs of Teddy Roosevelt drinking cocktails in the lobby and bragging about hunting. A main hallway in the hotel is called "Peacock Alley", after the ladies who would sashay through the building in the 19th century in their fancy gowns. To stay here is to stay in your very own museum of DC history (and the building itself actually does have its own museum- stop by, there are lots of interesting things to see!). Since falling on hard times and closing in the late 60's it has been lovingly and accurately restored to its original Lincoln-era glory. Breathtaking!

As for the crisis referred to in the headline: I was traveling with two friends of mine, a couple who happens to be expecting. Upon returning to our room one night (a very well-appointed Executive Suite with a view of the Washington Monument and the Treasury) we discovered that the master bedroom smelled strongly of cigar smoke. This is not good for pregnant people. One phone call and about 10 minutes later, we had been upgraded to the Calvin Coolidge suite- there was no hesitation there! They immediately sent up a bellhop and we swiftly relocated to our "new digs". We really appreciated the quick and conscientious response to our issue.

And, although it's not likely that you'll be staying in the Coolidge Suite (Coolidge, by the way, took his oath of office at The Willard), you should be advised that it comes with its own oval office. Seriously, just a large oval sitting room which made us all feel quite presidential. It also has a separate room for the coffee maker.

Despite all these positive words, I find myself wishing I could rate this at 4 1/2 stars, rather than the full five. The reasons are minor: though it was big and very luxurious, our upgrade suite didn't seem to be as updated as the previous one. There was only one shower, for instance (I know, "only" one shower is pushing it as far as complaints go, but it's a huge suite with multiple parties involved. A second one would be nice). We also lost our pull-out bed- because of the oval-shaped room, the couch had to be curved which ruled out using it as a bed! And I've been blown away by hotel staff before, and while there are no specific complaints about the very professional folks at The Willard, I was not blown away. I told you they were minor reasons.

But I'm going with 5 stars anyways. The history, the location, the lobby, even the hotel bar- it's all just too special and too unique to downgrade. So, 5 it is.

Cheers and Safe Travels,
Patty

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we walked in until the moment we left, the charming, international staff made us feel special! Our room was lovely, the harpist in the lobby was delightful, and the barista at Cafe du Parc was adorable -- he just needs a helper! We will be back!

• Stayed February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked a junior suite to celebrate my wife's birthday. I was more than caught off guard when the front desk manager upgraded us to the Oval suite. It was nothing short of breathtaking with views of the Washington Monument, Capitol and Pennsylvania Ave. As others have mentioned, the hotel is steeped in history and it is a joy to walk its hallways and corridors. The location along with the customer service is unparalleled. Beautiful hotel, top-notch service, adjacent to the White House. What more could one ask for?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with a lot of charm. Hotel location is great right in front of Pennsylvania Avenue. The lobby is magnificent. Our room had a great view of some of the features of the mall, including the top of the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. The room was clean and comfortable. Staff was very attentive and friendly, as we were celebrating my birthday, they even left us a little gift in the room. We ordered room service for breakfast and the service was very good. Prices are steep and as such you would demand close to perfection. The room looked a bit dated, and the light fixtures were really old. You can tell the light switches are from the reopening back in 198-something! and as I said, when you pay top dollars you expect nothing but the best.

Room Tip: Any room with view to Pennsylvania Av. We were on the 9th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel has been on my hotel bucket list, and I was supposed to stay here two years ago but ended up having chemotherapy instead. When a meeting came up at a nearby hotel, I jumped at the chance to stay here. I got a nice deal on a deluxe king room. It was in a corner and had two sets of windows a decent view. The room was quite spacious and completely quiet. I slept like a baby, as the bed was extremely comfortable. The desk clerk was very informative, and check-in was efficient. I didn't get my promised newspaper each morning, but that was no big deal. I also didn't get turndown service. maybe you have to call? The coffee maker could be replaced. It looked very old, but it made great coffee. All in all, I lover the hotel and hope to come back.

Room Tip: I think the rooms ending in 01 are corners.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business