Excellent experience was marred by bummer afternoon tea. Like everything at this hotel, the tea is pricey - $94 for two of us. The tea comes in a small (two cup size) pot. I finished my pot when only halfway through the food. My last cup was very bitter, and I asked for another pot of tea. I was told I could have more hot water, but would be charged extra for another pot since there were still tea leaves left. I received about one more cup of water, and 15 minutes later it was still weak and flavorless. I talked to the hostess and received a fresh pot, but with a little lecture about "usual procedures". I can see charging for more of the skimpy sandwiches or stale desserts left over from Christmas, but it's TEA...how cheap to skimp on the tea. The atmosphere was lovely, as with every part of the hotel, but save your money for something better than the Afternoon (rationed) Tea. By the way, when we mentioned this disappointment at checkout, an adjustment was made on our bill by the uniformly outstanding front desk staff. We chose this hotel for several reasons: First, because our last two Christmases were very sad and we wanted the "Christmasiest" place possible. The Willard certainly met the bill there... Lovely and lavish decorations, Santa in the lobby on Christmas Day, a completely over-the-top Christmas brunch, a stocking on the room door (with cookies, nutcracker ornament, Christmas cracker, etc. Very cute...) 6 stars for holiday cheer! Second, because of location. Couldn't ask for better - read some reviews saying this is an office area that shuts down at night, but found plenty of restaurants and bars roaring with business, walking distance to almost all the main attractions. Third, for our first visit to DC, we wanted to stay somewhere distinctive, not the same chain decor we can find everywhere else. Saw loads of folks bringing out of towners into the hotel, just for the history. We reserved a Willard Room based on tips that they are all excellent corner rooms with great views. Not so....I had envisioned a postcard view, not a courtyard view, so we were offered an Executive suite for a very reasonable additional charge per night. Wow! Corner room with views of the Washington Monument, Ellipse and Nat'l Christmas tree, Lincoln Memorial, WW II memorial, all the way to Arlington. Two rooms, two baths, lovely period reproduction furniture, classic wallpaper and classy framed local scenes on wall...absolutely the way to go if you can. (Didn't see the oval suites, but imagine they would be faint-worthy) Service by bellmen, doormen, front desk, concierge, Cafe du Parc staff, was perfect - again 6 stars. They actually seemed to want to make the guests happy. Housekeeping, not so much - very spotty and inconsistent. Some days decorative bed pillows were left on the floor where we put them, some days back on the bed. Some days toiletries were replaced, some days not. Had to beg for more coffee and tea (controlled by the Afternoon tea people perhaps???) The phones have an "Anything" button - and were always greeted by name when the phone was answered. Package including breakfast was an outstanding value - enjoyed Cafe du Parc food and service very much. Despite the minor "cons" we would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1850, the name Willard has epitomised the grand hotel concept in the nation s capital. Today, Willard InterContinental Washington continues the tradition in landmark style. Located just two blocks from the White House and the National Mall, the hotel is convenient to government and business offices, shopping and many must-see sights. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Willard InterContinental Washington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Willard Intercontinental Washington Hotel Washington Dc
- Intercontinental Washington Dc
- Intercontinental Hotel Washington Dc