“Elegant, gracious and beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Willard InterContinental Washington

Save Saved
You added Willard InterContinental Washington to your Saves list
Willard InterContinental Washington
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #11 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Vero Beach, Florida
“Elegant, gracious and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

One of the great historic hotels in the USA and one not to be missed.
The lobby amd neeting rooms were absolutely beautiful. My room was large and very nicely done. Very comfortable, too.
The entire staff was excellent and right on the money with recommendations and help.
Any trip to Washington should include at least one night at this historic and charming hotel. Right across the street from the treasury building and around the corner from the Whitehouse.
A real gem!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Indonesian first
Woodbridge, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I decided to treat myself to an election night stay at the historic Willard Intercontinental Hotel in Washington, DC for election night after years of wandering the lobby and Peacock Alley (named that by Mark Twain due to the ladies of that era walking up and down the beautiful hallway showing off their new jewels and dresses) and some time in the Round Robin Bar (yes it is actually round - where the Mint Julep was first served). My Brother had spent election night there four years ago on a business trip from California and said that it was an amazing night to be there - groups of democrats and republicans everywhere. I arrived and the valet was very nice in greeting and welcoming me - the wonderful luggage valet assured me that he would take care of getting my luggage (one suitcase and extra bag) up to my room as soon as possible. Walking through the doors for the first time as an actual staying guest was a feeling I will never forget! The lobby of the Willard is something to see - high ceilings covered in gold and the seals of all the states - I keep losing track of the location of the California seal. And in keeping with the tradition the center table floral display was once again breath taking - all in red white and blue of course in honor of the day! I stepped up to the front desk and a wonderful gentleman named Ali welcomed and checked me in for the night. I requested a change in rooms from one overlooking the inner courtyard to one with a street view. I was given a room on the 11th floor and it was wonderful! The whole time I kept mentally pinching myself that I was actually staying at the hotel I had dreamed of staying at for years! I wandered down to the Round Robin Bar - and not amazingly found it stuffed with people - the election day decor was fun yet not overly done. Signs for both candidates were here and there - on the entryway nook table there were larger than usual drink coasters with each candidates name done in blue or red... I took a seat in the entry way and later was able to move into the actual bar - great corner table with a view of the tv screen and the rest of the room. The place was such a feast of people watching! I broke out my Obama playing cards and started my traditional election night games of solitaire chatting with the folks at the table next to me. Dining on the yummy spinach and artichoke dip was the first food I had had all day!! When the final results came through the couple I had been talking with and I decided to join the crowds headed for the White House! Horns blowing people cheering - just as my Brother had heard from his room high above on election night four years ago! Upon returning to the hotel I returned to my room and raided the honor bar to celebrate the victory. And yes I could hear the horns and cheering from my room on the 11th floor. Checking out was a breeze and I do hope that someday I can once again call The Willard a temporary home away from home. Thank you to everyone I encountered there - you are all wonderful and welcoming and you made this very important evening for me even more so!

Room Tip: if you are planning an election night visit to The Willard - get there early for a good seat in The...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
ST louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The staff was outstanding and helpful. The room was large, bed comfortable and pillows to our likeing. I would have given it 5 stars but had to pay for Wifi. The hotel has High Tea on the weekends and it's absolutley delifghtful. Food was good for breakfast that;s the only other meal had there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Willard is a dream hotel in a perfect position! It is literally across the street from the White House. It is an historic Beaux-Arts building with a magnificent interior. Its location on Pensilvania Avenue makes it ideal for organising your sightseeing in every direction.
It is expensive but by booking on line at certain times of the year you can achieve much better rates.
However, a stay there is extremely convenient and the luxury and service are memorable!
Would not stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I spent four nights in a junior suite at The Willard and almost everything about the stay was perfect. Spacious bedroom and nice separate living area with sofa, chairs, desk and its own TV. The housekeeping was first class - I could not find fault with any aspect of the morning or evening service. Breakfast - we had the buffet each morning - was great and fantastic value. Only minor downsides were a slow check in (despite arriving at 5pm) but we were given a complimentary drink whilst waiting, and the fact the wifi is not free. These are minor niggles in the context of an excellent stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Only negative was paying for Wifi , other than that perfect. Lovely big room, very clean, very efficient and friendly staff, brilliant location. I would recommend to anyone. Will miss staying at The Willard but hopefully go back again one day.

Room Tip: Can't imagine there being a bad room at this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

After a short 15 minute taxi ride from Reagan International airport arrived at the beautiful historic hotel. Got lucky with having a room ready, early check-in we all know that doesn’t always happen. We stayed on the 5th floor which was great (kind of in the middle of the hotel- our view was of a terrace/lounge area below us)

(had a conference at the JW Marriott which is really right out the door of the Willard and across the side street- they were booked and I AM SO GLAD THEY WERE!!!!) for less money and a far better hotel - having stayed at that JW before.)

*The room was very nice and appointed very nicely. You walk in to a little foyer area where the mini bar is (expensive as most are and if you pull anything out be careful because YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT, even if you put it back) spacious closet area, bathroom to the right that had great lighting and plenty of counter space. TOWELS AND WASHCLOTHS WERE SO SOFT AND FLUFFY and head on from the foyer area is the sleep area that had 2 queen size beds that were very comfortable, leather benches at the end of each bed which I think is always a great touch because I hate to put my bags on the floor or if you need to sit down to put your shoes on its a nice option, desk/work area and a chair and round table (typical of hotel rooms)

*Room service for dinner the first night was delicious, we ordered the chicken and the lamb and deserts all was yummy and arrived within 30 minutes and afterwards we called for pickup and they arrived very promptly.*I also ordered breakfast one morning (pancakes) and had the same positive experience)

*Hotel restaurant- $$$ Cafe Du Park- EXCELLENT!!!! we sat outside right along the sidewalk of Pennsylvania Ave. and the night was breezy so that added to the enjoyable atmosphere. I ordered the NY Steak Frites - melt in your mouth, it's a large steak and I ate every bite I couldn’t put the fork down!!! The beef tenderloin was ordered by my mom and she loved it!!! Service was a little slow, but we enjoyed our meal so much it kind of made up for it.
They also have a little bar/coffee area if you walk inside the restaurant and we ordered 2 hot chocolates and sat in the beautiful lobby and people watched as we admired all the molding and details in the building.

*Location- is great, walking distance (and I'm lazy so it really was walking distance) to the White House, the Smithsonian Art museum (crafters under 40), walking distance to Macy's, walking distance to the Old Post Office - take the tour of the tower and you can see the whole district.

*Concierge- was not the most helpful, we asked for a sandwich shop and referred us to high end restaurants which is not what we were seeking for lunch- he also gave us a map but just kind of handed it to us and sent us on our way. I have had better experiences then the one I did with this gentleman at cheaper hotels.

*RED DOOR SPA- won’t ever book at one again. Please read my review separately.

*If you are just in need of a little food there is a great place called the Corner Bakery which is just across the street of the hotel out the back entrance. They have breakfast sandwiches, meals and lunch sandwiches, soups and salads.

*Restaurant- Hamilton is also out the back entrance and across the street and it was nice, the service was EXCELLENT but the food was mediocre and $$.

More on the details= show cap in the bathroom came with a pony tail holder, also with the toiletries you get a couple powder puffs, q-tips, shoe shine towel and scope, towels are super fluffy, the shower had 2 soap holders, I have been in some higher end hotels where there’s plenty of marble and no soap holder, bedding was comfy, room service was quick and yummy, coffee/hot chocolate bar delicious, location! location! location! it's all these little things, that make you want to stay again. I broke my zipper on a pair of pants and called the front desk to see if the hotel had someone who could repair a zipper and luckily they did. It was $15.00 but I didn’t think that was that crazy, plus they returned the pants to the room and hung them in the closet while we were out sightseeing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Willard InterContinental Washington? Share your experiences!