“We were treated like royalty!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Save Saved
You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #71 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
San Antonio, Texas
“We were treated like royalty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

My sister and I stayed for four nights in this hotel. All of the staff was kind and helpful! We forgot to sign our check for breakfast the first day, but they didn't seem too bothered and said they would get us to sign the next day when we told them that evening!

The front desk took the time to print us a mapquest map and bus routes for a concert we were supposed to go to off the beaten path. He gave us his full attention despite a porter trying to get him to stop and help him! He also arranged an airport shuttle that beat the others in price and we were the only ones in the van!

The porters would point us in the right direction daily as we ventured off each day! They were friendly and kind and even hugged us as we departed for the airport.

Our room was clean and big enough for two. It was on the street, so we would hear the fire trucks or the trash people in the morning. We had a beautiful view of the capital from a hall window near the elevator.

The breakfast buffet was expensive, but it was convenient to have. You would be able to have a full breakfast buffet or a continental one for a few dollars cheaper. I found a deal on line which gave us a breakfast voucher so this helped.

The location was wonderful! We were only a 10 minute walk to Union station and could easily walk to the capital. If I were ever to go back, I would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
LaCrosse, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We visited 7/7-7/10. All the staff we met were extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is located about 2 1/2 blocks from Union Station. At Union Station there are many restaurants and some shopping. The Metro (subway) system operates out of there and is a very efficient and inexpensive way to get around town. Many of the tours operate out of Union Station which is convenient. The Capitol was about 3 -4 blocks away. We did not eat at the hotel at all so cannot comment on that. We did also find a Quizno's sub shop about 1/2 block away. The beds were very comfortable and everything in the hotel was very clean. We were fortunate to get in on a special promotion offered by the hotel- Friends and Family which I believe offers a limited number of rooms per night throughout July and August for a great rate. One thing in the very short list of drawbacks is the price of parking (which is very high throughout downtown Washington). But with taxis, a great Metro system (which went right to the DCA airport for under $2 fare) who needs a car! Only other negative at all is that you have to pay for internet service or to use of their computers to go on internet. Bottom line, I would highly recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Shelton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed here for a few nights arriving on July 5th. I arrived by Amtrak which was great because the train station is only a few blocks away from the hotel. The hotel itself was great but its mostly a business type hotel and not for people who want to go out late at night. A little about the hotel experience: Check in was fast (then again there was nobody in the hotel on July 5th), and the staff was very helpful and courteous. The room itself was extremely clean with huge bathrooms and very comfortable beds. My room was overlooking the atrium of the lobby area with a view of an office building next door. The best thing is I got this room for only $99 a night from a promotion on the hotel website. I did not use the gym or restaurant so I cant talk about them. Now for the cons of the hotel: Dont get me wrong with this location, it is only 3 blocks from the capitol and a few blocks more to the national mall which can make it convenient for sightseeing. You also have the metro only a few blocks away at union station. The problem is that being a business hotel/area, once business is done for the day the area becomes a ghost town. You have 1 restaurant across the street and 2 irish restaurants a block away which were mostly dead. The other problem with the area, when coming back to the hotel after using the metro (which I must say was very clean and safe) is walking those 2 blocks back to the hotel late at night. The area is loaded with homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks which makes the area a little shady. I loved the hotel but next time Im going to stay in a different area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

This hotel was a treat to find for us. We booked their weekend special and received free parking and a food & beverage discount. The location was great for sightseeing the many attractions of DC. Easy access to the Metro and within walking distance to Union Square. The hotel staff could not have been better to us from the doorman to the front desk. They even upgraded our room to a suite without asking when only a king bed was available for 3 people at the time of booking on the internet. The room was spacious with modern amenities and clean. The bathroom was upgraded with tile and marble although the tub area needed some work. The bed was plush. The TV was a larger flat panel LCD. The carpeting needed cleaning but not worn.

• Stayed June 2010
Berkeley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel a half dozen times in recent years. There are some real pluses and real minuses. But, the very worst thing is the terrible internet connection....this is a real issue if you're attempting to stay here for business. For $10/day you get the privilege to have something that's similar to your 1992 dial-up connection, except now imagine that your dial-up connection is shared with everyone on the floor. The internet was bad enough, checking in with work e-mail was terrible and logging into a secure server was almost impossible as the lag was about 2 seconds/character typed. If you need to stay connected while traveling, this situation can be a deal-breaker.

Aside from the terrible internet, the space and rooms are generally quite nice. The beds are very comfortable, the rooms are clean, and it's fairly quiet. Some rooms have great views (which I've had in the past), although this one and many others looked directly into a very close office building....required leaving the curtains closed most of the time. The staff are pretty uneven and have on average become less friendly and professional than in the past. One of my colleagues on this trip had a very strange experience. He was given a room that did not contain a bed! It was the parlor room of one of their suites which they decided to rent out separately. He had to sleep on a very uncomfortable fold out sofa-bed. I think making a buck like this by splitting up a suite is unacceptable. One last plus...the location here is great. You're walking distance to the metro, the capitol, and many museums.

Overall, I'm lukewarm about staying here on someone else's dime. I didn't pay for my room, but this place is expensive...I'd never stay here with my own money!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Have stayed here on business many times over the past five years. Service is consistently underwhelming and the price consistently high. On my most recent visit I waited five hours to check-in to my room and others were waiting longer than myself! Came by front desk at 3 pm to check on status of room availability-- in lieu of time estimate (not that I would have believed them at that point given their previous incorrect estimates) I was shown a thick stack of papers each representing a person waiting for a room, with the first having arrived at 8:30 am. Had to attend an important meeting inappropriately dressed due to inavailability of room. Was told I could shower and change at the fitness center--ha!!! For $250+/night I don't think so. They are so overbooked that one of my colleagues has been put in a room that looks to be essentially the living area of a larger suite, with some kind of weird bar area, that has been awkwardly transformed into a rentable room. The internet ($10/day) is so slow it can barely compete with my 1987 model dial-up modem. Oh, and my bed smells like feet.

The summary on this place: it is so close to the Capitol that they are basically guaranteed a constant stream of paying customers regardless of how crappy the service is. So less than a few hundred yards from the heart of our democracy you have an establishment whose absolute indifference to the preferences of the marketplace would make Stalin beam with pride. A passable place to stay on fedgov-related business. Would I spend my own money to stay here? Not in a million years.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

My group was the size of 10, 5 being seniors, going to D.C. to visit the memorials. This hotel goes the extra mile in every situation you could imagine. The amazing customer service and consideration is felt from the top of the management to the door men greeting you with a smile when you arrive. The folks running the front desk had the patience of Saints and an impeccable work ethic. Especially when we need extra help with some of our elderly. The rooms are sparkly clean and have a great view of the State Capital. We ALL had a wonderful experience and we will surely be back ! Thank you WC!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!