“Outstanding place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Save Saved
You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #70 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Leesburg, Virginia
“Outstanding place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

This my second stay at this hotel. Stayed here on Sept 14 for one night in room 1215 so we could go see a game at RFK stadium. Check-in was a breeze and we were upgraded to an executive suite on the 12th floor without asking and no charge. The hotel is very clean all the way from the outside to the rooms. Each staff member we dealt with was very friendly and helpful. The giant shower with dual shower heads was a pleasant surprise. The sheets, towels, furniture and floor were all very clean. There a Starbucks right across the street and several restaurants nearby. The bar in the hotel is nice right in the lobby with several HD TV's available.

I do find the navigation on the website somewhat amateur and not super functional on a tablet.

Out of all the hotels I've stayed at in DC this is my favorite and we will definitely stay again when the need arises.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Jamaica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Hotel was selected by conference. Was leery at first that it was not a name brand, but those fears were dismissed quickly as hotel personnel greeted me and attended to my traveling needs. As I indicated on my hotel survey, the property was perfect in all ways but one. I had a choppy WiFi connection, but I guess I should be grateful it was free! Overall, excellent stay and definitely would stay here again! ~ Patrick Flanagan

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The location of this hotel was excellent, especially since we came into DC from Union Station quite late and could easily walk to the hotel after a hectic sightseeing day in Philadelphia, and a three hour travel by bus from there. The front desk check-in was quick. The room 905 with a front view as requested was well kept and impressive and in sync with our expectations. The King sized bed was great and was very comfortable, which made staying three nights quite good and affordable. Could stay a few days more for the comfort and proximity to key sightseeing areas. Excellent location, proximity with the Union Station and the Capitol Hill and a close walk to the Botanical Gardens reinforced our decision to stay in this hotel. I would definitely stay at the Washington Court again.

Room Tip: Higher floor accommodation with city view!!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

It was a sheer delight to check in the Washington Court Hotel after a tiring and exhausting day, traveling and sightseeing in Philadelphia. I along with my spouse was excited to have booked a reservation in this hotel from among the several other recommended hotels in DC. It was well within our budget and very cost-effective for three nights. It met with all the criteria and expectations on our first vacation to Washington DC.

Primarily, situated a few blocks away from Union Station, where we were to arrive from Philadelphia by Megabus late 19th August night, as well as its central location near the prestigious historic Capitol Hill, played an important part in my decision to select this hotel. To me, easy access to the National Mall, Botanical garden, renowned Monuments, free Museums and the U.S. Capitol was important especially since it was value for money!!

The Hotel is excellent for the price. The staff were courteous and polite that gives one an awesome experience of what hospitality to expect after check-in. We could feel the luxury of staying in this hotel surrounded by world-class historical monuments of Washington DC, complete with marble bathrooms, well-lit vanities, and hi-tech flat-screen TV and high-speed wireless Internet access.

I wish my children with their families take the opportunity to enjoy all of this and more...certainly a great experience.. I will surely opt stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor accommodation with city view has less A/C unit noise.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This place does a booming convention business. The overall facility is upscale without being pretentious. Good lobby bar lounge areas conducive to conduct business discussions. Room was fine, a cut above. The breakfast buffet was very adequate. Great location for Capitol Hill activities, Smithsonian, restaurants etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

When people around the country complain that the folks in Washington don't know what they're doing, they must be talking about the Washington Court Hotel.

We arrived on a muggy August afternoon, having just walked over from Union Station. It was still fairly early, so we checked our bags with the bellmen and went out to enjoy the day.

When we came back at 4:00pm, we were able to check in and were sent to a room on the 3rd floor. When asked if they received the requests I had made a few weeks prior for a room on a high floor, they claimed ignorance. Never mind that I actually spoke to someone at the front desk when I called, the staff said that there was a legal convention happening in the building and that all of the upper floors were booked.

We were sent up to our room and we walked past it twice. This was because there was a pile of dirty room service trays and dishes outside the door. We figured someone was staying in it, hence the dishes. Imagine our surprise when we discovered that was our room.

The room was filthy. Poorly cleaned, and it stunk to high heaven of ketchup. There were streaks of food on the top of the dresser, and the bathroom reeked of god knows what. The rug was shabby and didn't look vacuumed.

We immediately went back to the front desk as we refused to put down our bags. To their credit, they immediately put us in a new room and sent us up to the 4th floor. It's important to note that originally they told us nothing about 3 was available. Now we're sent to the 4th floor. This would be lie number one.

The room on the 4th floor was a closet of a room, and was also dirty. Sure, it seemed clean, but then we noticed the giant greasy handprint on the headboard over the bed. Looked like a sweaty handprint made by someone in the midst of a good time, if you know what I mean. Shocked to see this, we once again went down to the front desk. It was at this point that we encountered the front desk supervisor, Anthony Woods.

When we told Anthony our situation, he didn't care one bit. Didn't care that the first room was dirty. Didn't care that the second room was dirty. In fact, he called me a liar. He told me that his Housekeeping Manager went to the room and said it was clean. And apparently, if his Housekeeping Manager says something is clean, then it's clean. Never mind that I've now wasted 30 minutes of my life trying to fix the situation - I must be wrong. He gave me a very patronizing attitude and told me he would check our old room on the 3rd floor to see for himself.

How dare you call a guest a liar, Anthony Woods? Do you not know anything about customer service? If the room is dirty, it's dirty. Don't waste time and argue. Make the guest happy. That's your job.

Anthony Woods then told us there was nothing he could do, and that our room on the 4th floor was the only option. He was about to offer us free breakfast, but then rescinded that offer. Are you keeping track of the lies so far?

We went back to the dirty room on the 4th floor. The Housekeeping Manager came into the room, saw the greasy handprint and laughed. He then went to get a bottle of Windex, and proceeded to spray over our pillows and wipe the headboard. Yes, cleaning solution was getting on the pillows. When Windex didn't work, he returned with another chemical. This time, he climbed on the bed himself and scrubbed the handprint away. So now I'm in dirty room number two, with Windex on my pillow, and a Housekeeping Manager climbing on a "clean bed."

Satisfied that he had cleaned our room thoroughly, the Housekeeping Manager left, only to return five minutes later, as he left the dirty rags and cleaning solution on our nightstand.

Resigned to our fate in the gross room, we started to unpack and settle in.

Then we noticed a giant, hard white stain on our comforter.

I called the Front Desk and again, I got Anthony Woods, who sent our favorite Housekeeping Manager back up to our room. He told us that the "stain" was actually an iron burn, and that there was nothing wrong with the comforter. When asked if they seriously kept burned comforters in circulation amongst guest rooms, he told us that this is pretty routine for them.

Two dirty rooms, dirty pillows, lying and careless staff. And all within the first hour of checking in.

Another call to Anthony Woods got us a promise that the General Manager would be in at 7am and would be in touch. We left our cell phone number and were told he would call.

Yeah, no. The hotel manager called our room phone at 10:15am. Never mind that we left our cell phone for this exact purpose - the guy called our room phone when he knew we would be out and about. We were promised another call back on our cell, but needless to say this never happened.

It's important to note that I complained on the hotel's Facebook page within an hour of arriving at the hotel and experiencing this nightmare. I got a generic, canned response three days later - so you know this company has no idea how to run social media. I also complained to them after I returned home, and there was no response. Finally, one of their employees who happened to be a catering manager replied to my post via his personal account. Don't bother looking for the post though, because the hotel already deleted it.

We made the best of the next four days. We had a great time in D.C., and took in all the sights and activities. The low point of the whole trip, however, was our stay at the Washington Court Hotel.

We're not high maintenance people. Look at my other reviews. I love to give out glowing feedback. But this place doesn't deserve any of it. When you come to a hotel, all that really matters is a clean room. We were denied a clean room. Worse than that, we were called liars by the Front Desk Supervisor, Anthony Woods.

I can't forgive two dirty rooms. I can't forgive sloppy housekeeping and a lazy Housekeeping Manager. I cannot forgive a terrible Front Desk Supervisor. I cannot forgive a careless General Manager. And I cannot recommend the Washington Court Hotel by any means.

Your experience may vary, and based upon some of the reviews here, it seems many folks have had great experiences.

But ours sucked.

And we'll never stay here, or recommend it to anyone ever again.

Loveland, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed at the Washington Court twice - both times for work and on the month of February. The location is great-was able to see many sites around Capitol Hill when I was not attending workshops. The rooms are clean and neat with comfortable beds. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, including at Union Station which is just a few blocks away. The meeting too s were also nice. The lobby area is beautiful. If I were to travel to DC again I would not hesitate stay here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!