“Good location, terrible service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Save Saved
You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #67 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
New York, New York, United States
“Good location, terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is located couple blocks from the capitol hill and union station. Clean and comfortable hotel. The experience was soured tremendously when my bags were stolen out of my car in while it was parked int he garage (valet). There was no damage to my car - so the valet attendant must have either left it unlocked or one of the attendants participated in the theft. The hotel took no responsibility because they subcontract valet parking. The valet parking operation never returned my calls and gave me the runaround every time I called. I strongly suggest not to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

859 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We booked this hotel with a very good deal and were not let down. The location is superb, you can see the Capital building and it is a few blocks away from Union Station Metro. The hotel room was nicely furnished and the bed was to die for. The bathroom could have used some new caulking, etc, but was absolutely fine with a spacious shower. We arrived early and the staff allowed us to check our bags and give us a call when a room was ready for early check in, which happened around 2pm. Overall, we couldn't have been happier with the hotel and the deal we got, we did not use the parking, gym or restaurants in the hotel. The one downside was that the side of the hotel, on the way to Union Station, appeared to be a place where the homeless would wander, I wouldn't be there at night alone.

lansing michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at this hotel during the Cherry Blossom Festival. The hotel was within easy walking distance from the Capitol and other places of interest. It was clean and comfortable. The staff friendly and helpful. The parking was expensive, but did allow for in/ out service. It would have been nice to have self parking for easier access to the car. I would return to this hotel. We had booked the room thru a third party and did get a very good rate-- making it that much more desirable.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I have been to DC on several occaisions and have stayed in different areas.. The location of the hotel is one of its selling points- within an easy walk to the Capital, Mall and to Union Station for metro use. We had a small corner room that was clean and nicely appointed- the size and lack of view didn't bother us because we didn't spend much time there. It was quiet as well which I asked for. Common areas were busy at times but clean and appealing. I did use the fitness facility which is one of the largest and nicely appointed I have ever used in a hotel. We did not eat any meals in the restuarant. Our check-in went smoothly and the staff we encountered were professional and accommodating. There is a Starbucks across the street along with a cafe a block up, open during the work week. I did encounter some panhandling in the hotel vicinity but I have encountered worse in other travels.
The odd thing for me about my stay was that there was a very noticeable leak in the bathroom sink faucet- so much so that it ran all over the sink and down to the floor. I had to use a washcloth to stop the water collection. It would have been impossible for the housekeeping staff to miss it and report it for repair. At checkout, I mentioned there was a repair issue and the front desk person didn't even ask what the issue was- just that she would report to maintenance. I had to ask her if she wanted me to tell her what the issue was- not the sign of 4 stars to me.
Would I stay here again- maybe. Price and location are factors for me, however there are many hotel alternatives in the immediate DC area.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Washington Court is a clean, comfortable property within easy walking distance to the Capitol, the Mall and DC Metro. Frequent travellers will be fine there for business or tourism. I have to give huge props to the bell staff. They went way out of their way to be friendly and hospitable from the minute we stepped out of the cab to the minute we left at the end of our visit. They had a storage room full of bags and lots of traffic every time I passed by, but never missed an opportunity for a friendly greeting. Makes travelling a pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Huntington Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wife and I spent 3 nights there. Nice, clean hotel with an excellent location a block from Union Station.We stayed in the Deluxe room which was very nice, but basic. No micro, no fridge (although we did request a fridge and they were very accomodating. A definite plus). Seems like a lot of the hotels in the DC area cater to the convention/business meeting type, meaning corporate accounts, no leftovers, etc. Translation:no need for fridge or micro. But the hotel itself was impressive. Staff was very helpful and friendly. As I said, rooms were clean, bed was very comfortable, and bathroom was good-sized with large bath/shower. Two things:1. there is a small mini-mart across the street, not 24 hr; 2. there are a number of homeless folks in the area, due to a homeless shelter nearby.Be aware. This doesn't mean it's a bad area, but the homeless are present. Another plus, there are two Irish pubs/restaurants right around the corner for late night eats, and the hotel restaurant is open pretty late. Would definately stay here again, but I did miss a microwave.

Nampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel is located reasonably close to the Senate and because of the sheer distances is much further away from the House; the distance to the Capital is irrelevant for this review since politics rarely ever takes place in the capital building. The food is very good especially the fine breakfast buffet of which you can choose either a cold or hot with the hot being more costly at approx. $17. The lobby and bar are both especially comfortable and have a very relaxed disposition, very easy to nod off for a nap while waiting for your next business appointment trip to the House or Senate. The Desk, Bell Desk, Doorman and Housekeeping are all very, very helpful and friendly and willing to help you with any challenge, I wish I could remember all their names and list them here. This is not a tourist hotel because of the cost and location, but it is great for business folks. Also be aware of a room on the New Jersey side, you may have a little better view of the town, but it is very noisy because of the fire dept. and the Billy Goat Bar across the street (loud drunks leaving the joint)! The Dubliner, just around the corner, has been there for many, many years and will not disappoint. The Irish bar next to it is only for "drinking" so stay away unless you are a dedicated drinker. Other places I Liked were the Monocle just down the hill and across a parking lot from the Dirksen Senate Building, Charlie Palmers nearby and the various cafes of Union Station (many are fast food, some sit down and it's the location not the quality of food). Union Station is being renovated once again, seems DC can't resist leaving this building alone and I don't know that it will add to the quality of the visit, just more commerce. I noticed Union Station and its surroundings are very dirty and sure could stand a good deep steam clean and it would be money well spent!

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a street view if you value your quiet!