“Nice but could be better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #70 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
Jacksonville, Florida
“Nice but could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I have been to DC on several occaisions and have stayed in different areas.. The location of the hotel is one of its selling points- within an easy walk to the Capital, Mall and to Union Station for metro use. We had a small corner room that was clean and nicely appointed- the size and lack of view didn't bother us because we didn't spend much time there. It was quiet as well which I asked for. Common areas were busy at times but clean and appealing. I did use the fitness facility which is one of the largest and nicely appointed I have ever used in a hotel. We did not eat any meals in the restuarant. Our check-in went smoothly and the staff we encountered were professional and accommodating. There is a Starbucks across the street along with a cafe a block up, open during the work week. I did encounter some panhandling in the hotel vicinity but I have encountered worse in other travels.
The odd thing for me about my stay was that there was a very noticeable leak in the bathroom sink faucet- so much so that it ran all over the sink and down to the floor. I had to use a washcloth to stop the water collection. It would have been impossible for the housekeeping staff to miss it and report it for repair. At checkout, I mentioned there was a repair issue and the front desk person didn't even ask what the issue was- just that she would report to maintenance. I had to ask her if she wanted me to tell her what the issue was- not the sign of 4 stars to me.
Would I stay here again- maybe. Price and location are factors for me, however there are many hotel alternatives in the immediate DC area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Washington Court is a clean, comfortable property within easy walking distance to the Capitol, the Mall and DC Metro. Frequent travellers will be fine there for business or tourism. I have to give huge props to the bell staff. They went way out of their way to be friendly and hospitable from the minute we stepped out of the cab to the minute we left at the end of our visit. They had a storage room full of bags and lots of traffic every time I passed by, but never missed an opportunity for a friendly greeting. Makes travelling a pleasure.

Huntington Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wife and I spent 3 nights there. Nice, clean hotel with an excellent location a block from Union Station.We stayed in the Deluxe room which was very nice, but basic. No micro, no fridge (although we did request a fridge and they were very accomodating. A definite plus). Seems like a lot of the hotels in the DC area cater to the convention/business meeting type, meaning corporate accounts, no leftovers, etc. Translation:no need for fridge or micro. But the hotel itself was impressive. Staff was very helpful and friendly. As I said, rooms were clean, bed was very comfortable, and bathroom was good-sized with large bath/shower. Two things:1. there is a small mini-mart across the street, not 24 hr; 2. there are a number of homeless folks in the area, due to a homeless shelter nearby.Be aware. This doesn't mean it's a bad area, but the homeless are present. Another plus, there are two Irish pubs/restaurants right around the corner for late night eats, and the hotel restaurant is open pretty late. Would definately stay here again, but I did miss a microwave.

Nampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel is located reasonably close to the Senate and because of the sheer distances is much further away from the House; the distance to the Capital is irrelevant for this review since politics rarely ever takes place in the capital building. The food is very good especially the fine breakfast buffet of which you can choose either a cold or hot with the hot being more costly at approx. $17. The lobby and bar are both especially comfortable and have a very relaxed disposition, very easy to nod off for a nap while waiting for your next business appointment trip to the House or Senate. The Desk, Bell Desk, Doorman and Housekeeping are all very, very helpful and friendly and willing to help you with any challenge, I wish I could remember all their names and list them here. This is not a tourist hotel because of the cost and location, but it is great for business folks. Also be aware of a room on the New Jersey side, you may have a little better view of the town, but it is very noisy because of the fire dept. and the Billy Goat Bar across the street (loud drunks leaving the joint)! The Dubliner, just around the corner, has been there for many, many years and will not disappoint. The Irish bar next to it is only for "drinking" so stay away unless you are a dedicated drinker. Other places I Liked were the Monocle just down the hill and across a parking lot from the Dirksen Senate Building, Charlie Palmers nearby and the various cafes of Union Station (many are fast food, some sit down and it's the location not the quality of food). Union Station is being renovated once again, seems DC can't resist leaving this building alone and I don't know that it will add to the quality of the visit, just more commerce. I noticed Union Station and its surroundings are very dirty and sure could stand a good deep steam clean and it would be money well spent!

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a street view if you value your quiet!
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am writing this review as the hotel was very nice, clean, and comfortable. We had a great room as we were in town for the New York Rangers game last month. With that said the staff was not to my liking they were not accommodating. The gift shop closes very early so if you need something in the middle of the night your out of luck. I had asked the front desk if I could please buy a bottle of cough medicine as I was coughing out of control. I was not allowed to buy it and It was to late to go anywhere to buy one. But the room is excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Gateshead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed at the Washington Court Hotel for seven nights at the beginning of April. The hotel is only a couple of blocks from Union Station so access to the Metro, trains and coach trips is great. Union Station also has some good restaurants, especially B. Smiths which is excellent and the Thunder Grill, and also lots of shops, Starbucks etc. However we found other options for eating out in this area limited. The restaurant in the hotel is good, particularly the burgers, and has a lovely balcony area where you can watch what is going on in the foyer of the hotel while you eat! We enjoyed a few breakfasts there and also a couple of evening meals, although the evening menu is a bit limited. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was large with an excellent shower. I have only given this hotel an average rating because of a couple of negatives. Firstly, we did not find some of the reception staff particularly friendly or helpful. On check in we were told that our booking could not be found after only a cursory look, of course it was there on closer inspection. Also the housekeeping left a bit to be desired. One day I returned from a day out at about 4pm to find that the room had not been serviced. Although housekeeping came up immediately the guy on reception did not even offer me an apology when I complained. Also our bedding was not changed during our entire stay, although it was supposed to be changed every three days. I suppose I should have complained about this. Overall this is a nice hotel in a good location.

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Washington Court Hotel is well-located within DC - it's within walking distance of Union Station.

The rooms were clean, and I slept well. (I asked for a high floor and did not hear sirens as some other reviewers have claimed.) The meeting rooms provided by the hotel's business service were generally adequate. Staff was friendly, helpful, and available to assist with minor problems. For example, towards the end of our meeting, I needed to pack up multiple boxes, and a manager at the hotel came to our room and personally helped me tape up the boxes for shipment - this was much appreciated, particularly when I was rushing to catch a plane. For the most part, I never had trouble getting what I needed, when I needed it. Also note that the hotel had multiple meetings/conventions going on while we were there, so expect the lobby and other meeting areas to be crowded.

I didn't have most meals at the on-site restaurant, but it seemed adequate and the staff was friendly. I can't comment on other amenities, such as health club, pool, and bar - I was there for business, and didn't have much time to play. The lobby does look very nice, however.

The hotel loses a point for its "Business Center." If you need to print documents from your own USB hard drive, there's only a single computer available (2 other computers are for browsing the web only). The charge is $10.60/10 minutes plus $1.59/page. Although I think these prices are ridiculous, my real gripe is that the printer attached to this computer is one of those cheap home printers with a maximum speed of maybe 8 pages per minute. In other words, if you have 200 pages to print, not only will it cost about $340, but will take 30 minutes.

For those kind of prices, the hotel should easily be able to afford a better business center printer, and a staff member to do the work for me so that I can get back to my meeting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!