“Good location but some things could be better...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Save Saved
You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #69 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Gateshead
“Good location but some things could be better...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed at the Washington Court Hotel for seven nights at the beginning of April. The hotel is only a couple of blocks from Union Station so access to the Metro, trains and coach trips is great. Union Station also has some good restaurants, especially B. Smiths which is excellent and the Thunder Grill, and also lots of shops, Starbucks etc. However we found other options for eating out in this area limited. The restaurant in the hotel is good, particularly the burgers, and has a lovely balcony area where you can watch what is going on in the foyer of the hotel while you eat! We enjoyed a few breakfasts there and also a couple of evening meals, although the evening menu is a bit limited. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was large with an excellent shower. I have only given this hotel an average rating because of a couple of negatives. Firstly, we did not find some of the reception staff particularly friendly or helpful. On check in we were told that our booking could not be found after only a cursory look, of course it was there on closer inspection. Also the housekeeping left a bit to be desired. One day I returned from a day out at about 4pm to find that the room had not been serviced. Although housekeeping came up immediately the guy on reception did not even offer me an apology when I complained. Also our bedding was not changed during our entire stay, although it was supposed to be changed every three days. I suppose I should have complained about this. Overall this is a nice hotel in a good location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Washington Court Hotel is well-located within DC - it's within walking distance of Union Station.

The rooms were clean, and I slept well. (I asked for a high floor and did not hear sirens as some other reviewers have claimed.) The meeting rooms provided by the hotel's business service were generally adequate. Staff was friendly, helpful, and available to assist with minor problems. For example, towards the end of our meeting, I needed to pack up multiple boxes, and a manager at the hotel came to our room and personally helped me tape up the boxes for shipment - this was much appreciated, particularly when I was rushing to catch a plane. For the most part, I never had trouble getting what I needed, when I needed it. Also note that the hotel had multiple meetings/conventions going on while we were there, so expect the lobby and other meeting areas to be crowded.

I didn't have most meals at the on-site restaurant, but it seemed adequate and the staff was friendly. I can't comment on other amenities, such as health club, pool, and bar - I was there for business, and didn't have much time to play. The lobby does look very nice, however.

The hotel loses a point for its "Business Center." If you need to print documents from your own USB hard drive, there's only a single computer available (2 other computers are for browsing the web only). The charge is $10.60/10 minutes plus $1.59/page. Although I think these prices are ridiculous, my real gripe is that the printer attached to this computer is one of those cheap home printers with a maximum speed of maybe 8 pages per minute. In other words, if you have 200 pages to print, not only will it cost about $340, but will take 30 minutes.

For those kind of prices, the hotel should easily be able to afford a better business center printer, and a staff member to do the work for me so that I can get back to my meeting.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
little rock, arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, great location. All the staff are very friendly. But for the past three nights - and it looks like we are in for a fourth one - there has been nothing but noise from the room next door. The first night it went on until 2 a.m. The second night we asked to be moved but that was not possible. Security did visit the room and do something because shortly thereafter twelve (TWELVE) people carrying their beer exited the room. Do not stay here if you need your sleep. This will definitely be my last visit unless they do some sound proofing.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Beds were comfortable, Staff friendly, bar was great with excellent burgers. But I felt nickeled and dimed a bit. Free internet in the lobby but $10 fee in the rooms, $40 internet charge in the lobby business center- I got interupted by a phone call and boom- $40. The gym had a water fountain but the water wasn't filtered. I would stay here again though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days and were absolutely satisfied. Very nice hotel that is located a couple blocks from the mall. Very close to Union Station ( 2 blocks) so we were able to take the subway from Reagan Airport and walk the short distance to the hotel. We went to a play at Ford Theater (Hello Dolly) which was very good and at a reasonable price. Also, did a tour of the Kennedy Center and took in one of the free concerts which I would recommend also.

Room Tip: Our room 804 was facing the same direction as the main entrance. There was some siren noises occasio...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mentor, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Originally got this reservation through hotwire at a great rate. When hubby could not travel due to medical circumstances, we had to cancel, but hotel staff was extraordinarily accommodating by giving us an exceptional rate at a later date. Curtis Green and Anthony Wood could not have been more helpful and kind in my dealings with them. Room 1002 was corner room--spacious and with view of the very top of the Capitol. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom was well-appointed and clean. They brought us a fridge at no extra charge. Breakfast was very good, and loved the location--within walking distance of Union Station (parking at $22/day instead of $46 at the hotel), the National Mall and even the Tidal Basin if you don't mind a long walk. Cabs were reasonable enough that if you have 2 or 4 people, they may well be cheaper than the Metro, depending on how far you are going. Overall, we had a wonderful experience, and especially appreciated the warm, friendly demeanor of all the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was in excellent condition, and was clean and comfortable. It was also spacious.

The close proximity to the capitol was nice and provided a great view.

The gift shop in the loby was also very convenient.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!