“Very convenient for the Capitol” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Save Saved
You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #66 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
London
“Very convenient for the Capitol”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a large, spacious hotel only five minutes walk away from the political heart of Washington DC.
The hotel is arranged around a central atrium containing the reception, restaurant, bar and lobby, with some rooms facing in to the atrium and the rest out to the city.
The bar and restaurant never looked busy during my stay, so I'd look somewhere else if you want atmosphere. Breakfast was good - the buffet option offered several kinds of smoked fish along with the more usual American selection.
There is no self parking - valet only - but it all works well. My only real negative is that you have to pay for wifi in your room. That said, it's available free in the public areas, and thanks to the way the hotel is laid out, don't be surprised if you can pick up the lobby signal in your room.
And if you've had a few too many American hotel breakfasts, there is a good fitness centre on site.
As someone else would be paying for the wifi and valet parking, I would stay here again for business. I'm not so sure the Washington Court would get my holiday dollars.

Room Tip: Inward facing rooms may lower your wifi bill, unless they lead-line the atrium roof after reading th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

841 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Heraklion, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent located hotel, close to all monument.
Rooms are big enough as well bathroom.
Great hotel for it's price!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

A business trip takes me to this hotel every year. The hotel serves it's purpose but could stand to improve their customer service. The only reason I stay here is because of the convenience to conference meetings. It is also very expensive for the quality and service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
University Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Washington Court Hotel was the most customer-friendly hotel I've ever stayed in. Everyone was friendly, courteous and went the proverbial above and beyond to make us feel welcomed and comfortable. It's in a great location and offers fabulous deals when Congress isn't in session.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I made arrangements for a block of rooms for a wedding weekend and the hotel gave us an excellent rate. The service and accommodations were more than we expected. Every member of the staff went out of there way to respond to every request me made and even provided some extra service that we did not expect. The all seemed to be aware of our "party" - and were helpful in every regard. The valet service was a little steep ($42 a night) but the convenience and lack of parking in the downtown area made this worthwhile. The real advantage was "Sam" the doorman. He was aware of the stress and coordination of weddings and our group's coming and going. He was ready to respond to any request and did it professionally and with a warm friendly smile.
I would highly recommend looking into this hotel on any occasion you may be planning in DC.
Weekend rates especially are very reasonable for a downtown location near the Capital, Mall, and Union Station - which is a central location for the subway and you can get to all points of the center via the metro. The rooms are very nice and we were given a Executive King Room which a bit larger than the standing room which we needed for the wedding (dressing - bridal party, etc.)
I would recommend that if you desire a tub over a shower to ensure you specify your desires because some of the rooms (Executive King) have large walk in showers only. This was not an issue for my stay - but just something to be aware should you stay here.
I can not say enough about this hotel. I know there are always plus and minus reviews and no single review can reflect every stay - but this is my "go to" hotel anytime I am staying in DC.
I hope you consider this location, and please say hello to "Sam" for me !

Room Tip: Good views of the Capital Dome - very nice at night - but make sure you have a room with a number en...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a belated review from last April. I really enjoyed my 2 nights at The Washington Court. First, it was nice & close to Union Station. Check in went smoothly. I'd arrived early & my bags were stored in a secure location while I scouted the surroundings. There are two Irish pubs nearby(Very, very important!) & a convenience store with food items & beer across the street. The National Mall & museums are within easy walking distance. In fact, I walked to all of the monuments without any problems. It's a little bit of a hike but it's a lot of fun on a nice day. When I came back to my room that night I was very satisfied. It was spacious, clean, and comfortable. There is a bar in the lobby for relaxing at the end of the day & catching up on the scores. Also, I thought the room service pizza was above average. All & all a great stay. I didn't spend much time in the room but it had all the qualities which I find most important. Location, cleanliness, friendliness, comfort, etc. Very nice. Good value as well if you catch a deal. I'll definitely consider staying again at the right price point. No complaints.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Strasburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I'm addicted to Groupon and Living Socials DC offers ad this was one I took advantage of. My name was somehow typo'ed from the get go and even though I sent an email to the hotel re: that; no response was made. When I checked in the clerk was very irritated that I was Dawn and not Owen. I'd had a tumultuous week and was looking forward to relaxing but he was so unfriendly it just felt like one more thing and I was sure my visit was going to be a depressing disaster.
However I never had to deal with the front desk again and found the bartender, the doorman, valets, and (especially) my waiter for dinner to be charming and hospitable. It's a beautiful hotel and close to the Capitol, The Botanical Gardens, and Union Station so that was different than my usual haunts near DuPont Circle or the Waterfront.
It’s a beautiful hotel and if you can get a deal for around $100.00 it’s not too bad. But then add parking, internet, and the location (unless you are visiting one of the places I mentioned) and it’s not that great of a deal. This is a hotel for politicians and business travelers, not tourists.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!