“Superb Customer Service in the Heart of DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #68 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
University Park, Florida
“Superb Customer Service in the Heart of DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Washington Court Hotel was the most customer-friendly hotel I've ever stayed in. Everyone was friendly, courteous and went the proverbial above and beyond to make us feel welcomed and comfortable. It's in a great location and offers fabulous deals when Congress isn't in session.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Indonesian first
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I made arrangements for a block of rooms for a wedding weekend and the hotel gave us an excellent rate. The service and accommodations were more than we expected. Every member of the staff went out of there way to respond to every request me made and even provided some extra service that we did not expect. The all seemed to be aware of our "party" - and were helpful in every regard. The valet service was a little steep ($42 a night) but the convenience and lack of parking in the downtown area made this worthwhile. The real advantage was "Sam" the doorman. He was aware of the stress and coordination of weddings and our group's coming and going. He was ready to respond to any request and did it professionally and with a warm friendly smile.
I would highly recommend looking into this hotel on any occasion you may be planning in DC.
Weekend rates especially are very reasonable for a downtown location near the Capital, Mall, and Union Station - which is a central location for the subway and you can get to all points of the center via the metro. The rooms are very nice and we were given a Executive King Room which a bit larger than the standing room which we needed for the wedding (dressing - bridal party, etc.)
I would recommend that if you desire a tub over a shower to ensure you specify your desires because some of the rooms (Executive King) have large walk in showers only. This was not an issue for my stay - but just something to be aware should you stay here.
I can not say enough about this hotel. I know there are always plus and minus reviews and no single review can reflect every stay - but this is my "go to" hotel anytime I am staying in DC.
I hope you consider this location, and please say hello to "Sam" for me !

Room Tip: Good views of the Capital Dome - very nice at night - but make sure you have a room with a number en...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a belated review from last April. I really enjoyed my 2 nights at The Washington Court. First, it was nice & close to Union Station. Check in went smoothly. I'd arrived early & my bags were stored in a secure location while I scouted the surroundings. There are two Irish pubs nearby(Very, very important!) & a convenience store with food items & beer across the street. The National Mall & museums are within easy walking distance. In fact, I walked to all of the monuments without any problems. It's a little bit of a hike but it's a lot of fun on a nice day. When I came back to my room that night I was very satisfied. It was spacious, clean, and comfortable. There is a bar in the lobby for relaxing at the end of the day & catching up on the scores. Also, I thought the room service pizza was above average. All & all a great stay. I didn't spend much time in the room but it had all the qualities which I find most important. Location, cleanliness, friendliness, comfort, etc. Very nice. Good value as well if you catch a deal. I'll definitely consider staying again at the right price point. No complaints.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Strasburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I'm addicted to Groupon and Living Socials DC offers ad this was one I took advantage of. My name was somehow typo'ed from the get go and even though I sent an email to the hotel re: that; no response was made. When I checked in the clerk was very irritated that I was Dawn and not Owen. I'd had a tumultuous week and was looking forward to relaxing but he was so unfriendly it just felt like one more thing and I was sure my visit was going to be a depressing disaster.
However I never had to deal with the front desk again and found the bartender, the doorman, valets, and (especially) my waiter for dinner to be charming and hospitable. It's a beautiful hotel and close to the Capitol, The Botanical Gardens, and Union Station so that was different than my usual haunts near DuPont Circle or the Waterfront.
It’s a beautiful hotel and if you can get a deal for around $100.00 it’s not too bad. But then add parking, internet, and the location (unless you are visiting one of the places I mentioned) and it’s not that great of a deal. This is a hotel for politicians and business travelers, not tourists.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked this hotel for a last minute trip. The hotel is in a great location- just steps away from Union Station and a few blocks away from the Capitol Building and National Mall. We put money on our SmarTrip card but only used it once. We walked everywhere since a majority of the sites are under a mile away.

The hotel and the room itself was nice. It definitely has an upscale feel. The bathroom had great lighting but I was disappointed by its cleanliness (or lack there of). I found hair on the bathroom floor and bathtub so that was upsetting.

You could hear the traffic and honking from the room but it wasn't obnoxiously loud. It was easy to ignore after awhile. I'm not sure if I just got lucky but I didn't hear any of my neighbors. The only time I did hear the other guests was when they were directly outside of my room or down the hallway.

In terms of the staff, they were fine. The doorman was extremely helpful and polite. Checkout was smooth but finding large chunks of bread crumbs on the seats of my car from the valet wasn't exactly how I wanted to end my trip.

All in all, nice hotel, good location but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Pros: Location (close to the metro and the National Mall), upscale feel, relatively thick walls
Cons: Bathroom not cleaned well, inconsiderate valet, outside noise but bearable

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was my first visit @ this hotel. Got a great deal thru Priceline. I read the reviews after purchase so my expectations were set. I stayed 3 nights and must say my expectations were met, and exceeded on my in-room dining experiences. Not only was it fast, for hotel food, it was so good, and tasty. They give you plenty of towels, a definite plus because I usually have to request more at more expensive hotels. The location of the hotel is another two thumbs up! I would not necessarily choose to stay here because it is an older hotel and I just prefer something more modern and fancy. However, if price, space, and/or location is a primary factor, this is the place to be! Only minus was that I could never get my room warm enough although I had the thermostat on 80 (I like my room toasty, especially when it is in the 20 's outside). I had to put on a jacket and socks to get the warmth I wanted.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I snagged a last minute $99 a night deal off of the app Hotels Tonight. The hotel is definitely larger on the inside than it appears from the outside. The lobby is very grand and open. The location is very close to Capitol Hill but there are not a lot of happenings on the weekend or at night. The front desk staff had a difficult time locating my reservation and they were just okay, not friendly at all but not rude. I asked about the Wi-Fi and I was told there was two options; basic speed for $12 night or an upgraded speed for $20 a night. $20 a night for Wi-Fi! I did without that is way too expensive. Once I arrived to my room, I was very much impressed with the size of the room and huge bathroom but I definitely felt like I was in the early 90's hanging with Vanilla Ice based on the decor. The bed was very large and comfortable. I ordered room service which was delicious but very pricey. I do not recommend this hotel to other travelers based on the price of the internet and other services that you can get for free and cheaper at other hotels situated in more vibrant areas of DC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!