“Big Rooms, Great Staff, Excellent Food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

Save Saved
You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #65 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Louisiana
“Big Rooms, Great Staff, Excellent Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was my first visit @ this hotel. Got a great deal thru Priceline. I read the reviews after purchase so my expectations were set. I stayed 3 nights and must say my expectations were met, and exceeded on my in-room dining experiences. Not only was it fast, for hotel food, it was so good, and tasty. They give you plenty of towels, a definite plus because I usually have to request more at more expensive hotels. The location of the hotel is another two thumbs up! I would not necessarily choose to stay here because it is an older hotel and I just prefer something more modern and fancy. However, if price, space, and/or location is a primary factor, this is the place to be! Only minus was that I could never get my room warm enough although I had the thermostat on 80 (I like my room toasty, especially when it is in the 20 's outside). I had to put on a jacket and socks to get the warmth I wanted.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

852 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I snagged a last minute $99 a night deal off of the app Hotels Tonight. The hotel is definitely larger on the inside than it appears from the outside. The lobby is very grand and open. The location is very close to Capitol Hill but there are not a lot of happenings on the weekend or at night. The front desk staff had a difficult time locating my reservation and they were just okay, not friendly at all but not rude. I asked about the Wi-Fi and I was told there was two options; basic speed for $12 night or an upgraded speed for $20 a night. $20 a night for Wi-Fi! I did without that is way too expensive. Once I arrived to my room, I was very much impressed with the size of the room and huge bathroom but I definitely felt like I was in the early 90's hanging with Vanilla Ice based on the decor. The bed was very large and comfortable. I ordered room service which was delicious but very pricey. I do not recommend this hotel to other travelers based on the price of the internet and other services that you can get for free and cheaper at other hotels situated in more vibrant areas of DC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Mid Atlantic Leather had their 2013 gathering at the Hyatt Regency up the street and so I came back to Washington Court because I really do like my privacy. Unlike last year I could only do two nights and boy were they fun. My neighbors down the hall were attending the same function and so we came back to my room post festivities and finished the party albeit too loudly. Security had to remind me to quiet down at 3am. I like this hotel quite alot because you hardly notice the staff until you are passing by the front desk. My request for a refrigerator was honored and my room was on the 9th floor facing the street. I loved it. The quiet atmosphere in the lobby was improved by the Delta Sorority staying that weekend.

Room Tip: Any room with a view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Marathon, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My brother, his wife and I all met here for a short family get together- it was fabulous! The location is unbelivable, very close to everything, or a short cab drive away- the staff are all very nice and rooms are great- excellent choice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I purchased two nights at the Washington Court Hotel from Groupon. The hotel was very nice and located in a very nice area. It was amazing that as soon as we stepped out of the hotel we could see the Capitol Building. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. It was a very pleasant stay. We had the privilege of meeting Anthony at the concierge desk who was extremely helpful with suggestions on where to eat and how to maneuver the Metro which was only two blocks away @ Union Station . He provided us with a map of the "Mall" which is where all of the museums and monuments were. There are plenty of fast food grabs inside of Union Station..it really was a great location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gramercy, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I chose this hotel for location (near my friend's apartment) and price ($119) for a weekend visit. I was nervous about the low price compared to neighboring hotels but so glad I gave it a shot. The bedding was very nice; the room and bathroom were spacious; it was reasonably clean - not perfect; and the service we encountered was good (the doormen were always friendly and helpful). We brought earplugs and needed them for the sirens on the street (firetrucks?) and hallway noise was very loud when guests walked by. For the price, it was terrific. I would definitely stay here again and recommend the hotel to others who have reasonable expectations for a good value in a great location. We brunched at Sixth Engine (recommend), had dinner at Zaytinya (outstanding) and breakfast at the Billy Goat Tavern across the street ($5 breakfast on paper plates with jukebox playing Jerry Jeff Walker at 10am - decide for yourself). We taxied around since my friend was disabled ($5-11 within the area) and used Uber for private sedan service to dinner and after dinner for a night tour of the monuments (very nice). I hesitantly went to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum with my friends and thankfully enjoyed the President's exhibit alot. For a quick weekend getaway, the Washington Court was spot on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is located at a great point to explore capitol hill. Union station which is where a lot of interstate and city busses come in is about a 5 minute walk away, so it is particularly great if you are arriving by bus. The hyatt is right across the street from this hotel which gives a indication of the area that the hotel is in. All the monuments are of walking distance the closest being capitol hill. There is a bikeshare stand around the corner where you can rent bikes to cover all the monuments in one day but with all honesty, the weather was good when we visited and we were able to complete all the major monuments and memorials in capitol hill (Lincoln memorial, Jefferson memorial, WWII memorial, Whitehouse etc) in one day including one museum (Newseum).

The rooms were spacious, clean looking and I took a particular liking to the bathrooms which were very grand and presidential looking. They put the coffee maker in the bathroom which is a little strange, but it might be your thing. There isn't wifi in the rooms but this isn't a big deal because there is free wifi available downstairs in the lobby. The only con about this hotel was that at 4.20pm (after waiting over 1 hr) our room was still not ready and we had to wait til almost 5pm to check in. I'm not sure whether or not this is a frequent thing. The hotel staff were however apologetic and were a great help we wanted information about restaurants and directions. We got these rooms for an absolute steal, for the price we paid we usually would've expected less.

Overall would recommend this hotel, it's in a great location to explore capitol hill and DC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!