You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #71 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Wow!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great hotel at a great location. 5 min. walking from Union Station, so close to different places to eat, shopping and metro rail and trains. Beautiful lobby. Friendly and helpful employees. The room was ok, but a room for 4 people had 3 towels. Accessible electrical outlets, not so good toiletries. Great view of the Capitol. I will definitely will come to this hotel if I return to DC. We booked through their website and we got a great deal. We paid $99/night but included a $10/night to use it if we want to, if not, there were applicable to the total of the invoice, so the night cost us $89

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Indonesian first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My stay at the Washington Court Hotel was amazing. This is by far the BEST hotel that I have ever stayed in. Their website says that they will impress, and they do. The communication by email with Adam Helldorfer before and after my stay was on point. I had many questions, and he was always very timely with his response. Check in was simple, valet was helpful and quick, the room was immaculately clean (even though I am tough to please). It was a wonderfully spacious room, and we got the most basic room with a king sized bed. Water pressure in the shower was very strong and the toilet flushed well. The room service for breakfast was well worth $9/$11 that they charge (big servings) and the room service staff was very friendly and accommodating. They allowed me to bring my 15 pound dog with no issues, it was great. I was worried that the room they may have put us in would have been less than par because they have specific rooms for dog owners. That was not the case, this room was very clean and even smelled nice. The gym is the best hotel gym I have ever seen, great choices of equipment
and weights!!! The lobby is very impressive and the Bistro 525 downstairs was AMAZING. Great food and service. It was quiet and had private feel to it. Perfect for my husband and I.
I only have two complaints. First, I asked that they put a refrigerator in my room; I confirmed by phone twice before my arrival and was told upon check in that it would be taken care of. My refrigerator never arrived. Alas, I had brought my cooler and used their ice. Secondly, we continuously had the “privacy please” sign up during our stay, and despite this fact, staff walked into our room twice during our stay while we were in the room. I do not think they meant to, but the sign was clearly up and on the proper side (the other side of the sign says “service please”). Other than those two things, I cannot complain. I love it here! And I plan to return when I go to DC again. Thank you Washington Court!

Room Tip: Even the basic room is wonderful. Bring your pet!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a great hotel if you like "nice" but not stuffy. Less formal than some 4 stars, but still very elegant. I called ahead of time to let them know it was my husband's 40th birthday and his first visit to DC; they upgraded our room and gave us one with a GORGEOUS view of the Capitol. Very kind staff, and the breakfast buffet was great!

North Branford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I just stayed 2 fantastic nights at this hotel and only 2 blocks from the Capital Building. The rooms were spacious and clean .The rooms were recently remodeled with a huge granite bathroom and were provided with all the amenities needed for a great stay. The staff was very accommodating and I was upgraded to a room with a view of the Capital which I had requested.The lobby was beautifully decorated for the holidays and the size was overwhelming with views of the restaurant and cocktail lounge.
We will be staying there again on our next visit to DC.

Room Tip: Great location, most museums are within walking distance.
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Pros.
1. helpful staff
2. about 8 mins walk to Union Station which connects to the subway and has a large food court as well as other shopping
3. one block away from the the West Wing cafe which has a large variety of sandwiches and soup
4. Starbucks across the street (if you like Starbucks)
5. average $7 taxi ride to tourist areas
6. Tour bus and trolley stops at Liaison Hotel and Hyatt which are on the same street and are a one minute walk away (you can buy tickets for both on the bus or trolley themselves)
7. liquor and variety store across the street (which can also be a con because of panhandlers at night)
8. little store in hotel had friendly staff and basics

Cons.
1. dodgy neighbourhood at night. Was approached by several panhandlers and although they were not aggressive, it was very sad to see.
2. 15 minute walk through not-so-great neighbourhood (at night) to get to a drug store
3. 20+ minutes to walk to tourist areas (altho, if you don't mind walking, it isn't that bad)
4. hotel parking costs were horrendous $30+ (day), $40+(overnight)
5. can hear water running and toilet flushes from room next door
6. no fridge
7. Altho tap water smelled and tasted okay, it smelled like a sewer whenever we turned the tap on (maybe the pipes?)

OTHER:
1. $65-$70 taxi ride each way from/to Dulles Airport
2. All 10 Smithsonian museums are free, but all except for the American Arts & Portraits Gallery close around 5:30 (Arts & Portraits closes at 7:00) during off- season
3. Best museums EVER are: Int'l Spy Museum ($20), Newseum ($22), Smithsonian's Natural History Museum (free)
4. Smithsonian's American History Museum (where the pop culture stuff is) was disappointing because large parts of it are closed until 2015
5. American Indian Museum is very well known (and rightfully so) for having THE BEST cafeteria (although as in all the museums, the food is pricey)
6. Do a Segway tour before and then decide whether or not to take a bus or trolley tour.
7. Bus tour does not have signs at the stops. So you should memorize the bus stops or else you may end up wandering around looking for a Bus tour stop.
8. Payment at Metro system (subway) a little confusing (easier to understand in Paris and London !!). Metro staff helpful. Remember to have extra coins if you want to leave Metro station. (We had to pay an extra 40 cents each to get out or else we would have been stuck riding the subway trains...forever (?) )

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here while sightseeing with a group of friends for a weekend. We chose it primarily because it was the most affordable option for us. Although less expensive than other hotels, it was perfectly clean, modern, and comfortable. The location was great for us as well and we were able to walk everywhere from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Booked washington court hotel at a low price thinking it was a good location. Arrived here on tuesday and everything about the hotel is lovely. The rooms are nice and clean and look brand new very spacious the bed is really comfy. the location is great next to union station where you can get the tours for the whole city. The staff are very friendly and helpful as a visitor they told us all about how o get around the city and where the best places to eat. Would recommened this place to anybody coming to visit washington dc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!