“Great for meetings, rooms need updating” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill

You added Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
Washington Court Hotel on Capitol Hill
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Ranked #75 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great for meetings, rooms need updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a conference and was very impressed with the food. A buffet lunch and the farewell dinner were both the best food and service I've had at a conference. The vegetarian entrees were good: a rice and garbanzo dish and grilled polenta with vegetables. The banquet staff had everything in order, re-filled water and wine, and served the veggie entrees along with the regular ones (not half an hour later like many other places).
The rooms were just ok, bedding good, but needed some deeper cleaning and Updating. There was a coffee maker in the bathroom which was great!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Indonesian first
Southern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here before and it was OK. Not a fleabag, but it's at least functional. Not a vacation or romantic venue. My last experience was very negative; note that I did not say "a stay" since my flight was delayed so I got in at 2AM. I had booked the room weeks before on their website, but they could not find my reservation...and they were full. I was fortunate to find a room available at the Hyatt a block away at 3AM, where we will staying for our future needs in this area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this place for one night in Washington, DC. Our main reason for selecting this hotel was its proximity to Union Station (3 blocks). Our king bed room was rather large and relatively comfortable. This place is the epitome of a city hotel with a nice atrium but not a lot of flair. The room was clean, though, the check-in efficient, and the staff helpful.

• Stayed August 2012
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel has by far the best location to price ratio I have ever seen in a large metropolis like Washington. I do have one complaint though. I booked two rooms for 5 people. One of the rooms should have had a double bed; upon arrival we were told both rooms were King Beds. Most hotels will gladly help in a situation like this, however I was told it would be three day's before a double bed would be available.......That is unacceptable in my books. The next day I asked an employee if the hotel was full and I was told it was at 45% capacity.

There are many good things about this hotel. "The door man". If you've read any other reviews about this hotel you've probably read that the door man is a very nice and helpful person and that is the truth. In fact all of the staff are extremely friendly. If you are looking to stay on Capitol Hill and walk to the "MALL" then this is a great spot. It is about 15 min walk but D.C is a nice place with things to see so it passes quickly. If this is your first trip to D.C then be prepared to be shocked at the social and economic issues that plague Capitol Hill. That really has nothing to do with the hotel but I thought it might be worth mentioning. The Capitol Building is only four blocks away, be sure to book your visit in advance.

*****PARKING IS NOT FREE**** the parking rates in D.C are the highest I have ever seen. The hotel charges $43.00 USD per night. (In and out) In closing it is fair to say this hotel is worth the price but make sure your reservation is correct before you arrive because it could be a problem to make changes once you check in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Munich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for three nights. It was one of those advertised after booking a flight to Washington and is well-positioned with a view, for some, of the Capitol some 400 yards away. Sadly, although our room was large and comfortable, the view was of an ugly office building across the road. I would not normally stay in such an up-market hotel, but the offer was so reasonable, and the hotel so handy for tourists that I booked it.
What was immediately apparent, as soon as we arrived, was that the hotel is grossly over-staffed. Indeed, it reminded me of the comedy sketch by Michael Palin, where armies of servants are each assigned a trivial task. Whether one wishes it or not, doors are opened and suitcases grabbed and transported a few yards, after which a tip is required. There were insufficient items in the bathroom, and I had constantly to call room service for replenishments. Presumably, my tips were insufficient, because on the final occasion, my call was ignored.
While Washington DC is arguably the loveliest capital in the world, we could find nowhere to eat that was quiet, with a decent menu. In my opinion, American food generally ranges from bad to mediocre. But apart from that, I find it difficult to enjoy a meal surrounded by people who are yelling to make themselves heard above the music, if one can call it that. (I foresee much future litigation brought by semi-deaf former restaurant staff!)
On our first evening, having unsuccessfully sought a quiet venue to eat, we arrived back at the hotel and ate in their restaurant. I have to admit that the food was excellent, though expensive. Additionally, the background music was restful, and not at all intrusive. However, the ubiquitous staff made me smile: one man took us to the table, while another took our wine order, and yet another took our food order. Meanwhile, a fourth man stood in the corner with a water jug, and rushed over to top up my glass each time I took a sip. I found this last service just a trifle irritating. However, the meal and the wine were so good, that I conveyed my satisfaction to the ‘food waiter’. Then came the bill, which was about half as much again as I would normally spend. I left what I thought was a sizeable tip. But the waiter, who until that point had been very friendly, was hardly discreet in checking to see just how much tip I’d actually given. It couldn’t have been enough, as he turned, and went off in a huff!
I always wonder what kind of people would choose to stay in this kind of hotel, certainly not usually those such as I, with a modest income. Apart from its size making it so impersonal, the constant need to tip makes me uncomfortable: I either tip too much or too little. Besides, in Europe we feel that tipping establishes a hierarchy which should no longer exist in an equal society.
To sum up, we did feel that we had received a good price for the accommodation offered. However, breakfast was not included, though we knew that Americans like to breakfast out. Then again, seeing what was available in the vicinity, we opted to eat at the hotel anyway, and were not disappointed. There is a comprehensive breakfast menu, but I would advise choosing an option where coffee and juice are included. Otherwise, the cost starts to mount up.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the Capitol
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel that is very convenient to Union Station and the Capitol. The price was very low (under $100 per night) so we were kind of afraid of what we were going to get, but we had a huge room that overlooked the glass mezzanine. There was a 40" flat screen tv, two arm chairs, and a foot stool. It was a pleasant and welcome surprise.

Room Tip: Ask for a capitol facing room ahead of time because they sell out. If you can't get a capitol fa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night in this hotel as we were in town for a concert. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and spacious. Parking was expensive. Wish I would had read the review about the garage around the corner for $20. We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple