“Small hotel, located in a busy area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #46 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
mooviemadness
“Small hotel, located in a busy area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I visited this property during Homecoming week for Howard University. Although I have AAA, I was able to get a better price through booking.com. I had to pre-pay to get the better deal, however. I was disappointed when I got there and the clerk told me that I was booked for a room with 2 queen beds. I had requested, and confirmed, with booking.com that I wanted a king room. The clerk said that the information they’d gotten from booking.com was for a 2-bed room. So I will go back to using AAA.
The lobby and restaurant area were among the smallest I’d ever seen, although they were well kept. The staff was friendly, and very helpful. Parking in the underground garage is free. I suppose this is for security reasons, but the elevator operation requires the scanning of your hotel room card. This also applies when you go to the garage. I had to get accustomed to this procedure; as a claustrophobic, it made me a little nervous when the doors closed and I still had not gotten the green light to push the floor I needed.
The pattern of the rooms upstairs suggested to me that the hotel had been refurbished. If so, they’d done a good job with the updating. The carpeting in the hall was starting to look a little worn. No meals are included with the stay, but compared to other restaurants in the area, I thought the prices were reasonable. I ordered dessert and a drink while I was there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Savoy Suites Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
HI there Movie Madness! Your review means so much to us! Thank you! Sometimes online travel sites can be a bit confusing... the next time you book, be sure to book directly from our website. We offer your AAA discount there as well as over the phone. I am so happy you took advantage of our FREE garage parking... its a rare amenity in hotels these days and we hope it contributed to the overall value of your stay along with the free WiFi and daily access to the Washington Sports Club. PLease be sure to give us another try! We would certainly love to have you stay with us again! Warm Regards - MarcAnthony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We came into Washington a day early and got a room at the Savoy through Hotwire. The rooms were spacious, nicely appointed and very clean, with extremely comfortable beds. Free Internet and parking we appreciated and the hotel is an easy walk to a number of nice shops and restaurants. The hotwire booking meant we paid much less than the listed price - this was by far the best value/experience of our trip to Washington, we just wish we had more time to explore Georgetown.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CarlyleSuitesHotel, Manager at Savoy Suites Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear JFK00 - Thank you for the 5 Circle review! We are so lucky you came in that one day early and gave us a try! Hopefully next time we will be lucky to have you for your entire stay! If we are so luckly, be sure to search our website as we have some great value added packages and rate specials. You can sign up for offers by visiting www.savoysuites.com and adding your email address. We promise we won't rent, sell or share your email! Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again! MarcAnthony
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Though this was my first stay at the Savoy, and it was for only one night, the way they treated me made me wonder if they had confused me with their best repeat guest. They provided for a delightful and relaxing stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Thomas! So happy to hear that you enjoyed the red carpet service! As corny as it may sound to some, we are so grateful for each and every guest that comes through our doors. We are true hoteliers that value our guests and this is an industry that we truly truly love. So happy it showed! Does this mean we will see you again on your next visit to Washington DC? All the best! MarcAnthony
Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

A group of us were in town for a meeting and chose to stay at the Savoy Suites. Being close to Georgetown made it a convenient walk to a bevy of restaurants and shops. The room was fabulous with a mini kitchen that would have been great if we were staying for more than one night. The breakfast buffet was much better than expected. Overall, a great value in a great location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hi Franklin! So happy to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay at our Georgetown area hotel! We are technically in Glover Park, and having the Vice President as our neighbor makes it one of the safest nabes in town! Hopefully you had time to see the National Cathedral nearby and some of the breathtaking mansions on Embassy Row. Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again! Warm Wishes, MarcAnthony
Vermilion, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Many good points for the location relative to our needs, for the assistance provided by staff, for the newly renovated bathroom, the spaciousness of the room, the presence of a refrigerator in the room, the parking which was included in the price in an area which is notorious for the shortage of street parking. Disappointing for the pillow linens, which bore the odor of hair oils and which suggested they had not been changed appropriately; disappointing for the failure to provide additional bottles of moisturizer & conditioner when half-empty bottles were left on the bathroom counter top; disappointing for the absence of towel bars to hang wet towels after bathing (only one hook provided in shower stall). At over $150/night I feel the management could have done much better!

Room Tip: try booking directly with savoy suites
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hi Rita! I was so happy reading your review, until I got to the part about the pillow linens and the fact that we didn't refill your sundries after each use. Those were easy ones to miss which makes me very disappointed. I have forward your comments to our Housekeeping departments who I know will just be crushed as they are so used to getting compliments daily! The only thing I can say is that we will get better and its all because of your review. Thank you. Warm Regards and the best to you and yours. MarcAnthony
New England USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel was perfect for us. A year earlier we stayed right off the Mall, which was nice, but parking was $45 per night and there weren't many places nearby to get food. I saw on Trip Advisor about the Whole Foods a couple of blocks from the Savoy and we went there several times. We appreciated the free parking and wifi and the very spacious room. The beds were super comfortable. The location worked great for us as we mostly were driving to visit family and friends or on one day we drove to downtown and parked in a garage there. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Greetings SJS! Your review (and TripAdvisor icon) put a BIG smile on my face! Thank you so much for the 5 circle review! Yes, Savoy Suites Hotel offers free garage parking, free WiFi and Free daily access to the Washington Sports Club. Those our just some of our fabulous amenities. And I know what you mean about those beds! The beds by the way are Tempur-pedic. One day I had to work a double shift and was lucky enough to sleep over. I swear, I was almost late for my shift because I just didn't want to get out of the bed! SO COMFY! Thanks again for the review and I really do hope you come back to visit us again soon! Cheers - MarcAnthony
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I don't know why this hotel rates so high. As another reviewer said, it's average at best. The location is okay, but it is a brisk ten-minute walk to the busier parts of Georgetown. Parking is a nice to have, although if I had known about DC traffic I would have flown into Reagan and stuck with taxis. The people are usually friendly if somewhat ineffective. The heater didn't really work in my room, only getting up to about 60 degrees at full blast, and when I asked the front desk to send someone, nobody appeared for an hour. When he did show up, he seemed completely oblivious to the fact that I had on my down jacket and gloves, pointed to the thermostat that said "78" and insisted that it was warm because it said "78" and therefore must be warm.

Getting the front desk to call a cab was a complete fiasco. After braving the traffic once, I decided to leave my car in the garage and call the front desk to order a cab an hour in advance for 8:30am. I showed up downstairs at 8:28, didn't see a cab, and asked the front desk where the cab was. They waved vaguely outside, around the corner. So I walked out, looked around, nothing. Walked back in and told them there wasn't a cab. "It's 8:31, you were late so he must have left." After I protested she shrugged and said, "somebody else probably took it." The hotel did NOTHING to try to address this. I insisted they order another cab. They told me one was on its way but after ten minutes of waiting, still nothing. By now I know I'm going to be late for my meeting. No point driving either, because parking had taken so long the day before. The front desk finally told me they didn't think anyone would be coming because it's rush hour. They couldn't have told me this earlier???

By now you're wondering why I'm giving this hotel three stars, or any stars at all. Because there was a courtesy van driver watching all of this unfold, who stepped up to help when I asked if there was anything he could do. He couldn't deviate from his path between the hotel and the Metro station because of insurance reasons, but he did go out of his way to run an extra trip for me, understanding my desperation, chatting to me, dropping me off at the Metro and pointing to the direction for me to walk the rest of the way. I'm pretty sure he risked getting in trouble to do it, and I wish I could have thanked him properly.

I'm really sorry I didn't get this man's name. He was a hero that day - not for saving the situation but for giving me faith that somebody around there had any consideration for what happened to me. Thank you, courtesy van driver dude.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Stompypuppy - Oh My Goodness! When we promised ourselves to leave guests with memorable service, this is not what we had in mind! We really left much to be desired didn't we. This is NOT indicative of the service we offer to our guests and I can assure you that your review has invigorated our mission to offer the BEST, PERSONALIZED service to each and every guest. I know that doesn't mean anything to you know post-stay, just know that you have our attention and we promise to do better for the guests that find their way to our little Georgetown area hotel. Warm Regards - MarcAnthony

Been to Savoy Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!