“Great weekend getaway. Wonderful room and staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #38 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Pittsburgh
“Great weekend getaway. Wonderful room and staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Room was very clean. Valet staff was very helpful. The faixfax lounge was nice for a drink by the fire. The location was close to Dupont Circle, but a little ways from town. However, not much more than a quick cab ride away. Overall, I would give it an A.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

826 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
corpus christi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

We now have stayed at the Fairfax 5 times, it is a wonderful location a short walk to Dupont Circle or Georgetown. Service has always been outstanding. Rooms vary in size some have been on the small side but always very clean. The staff is excellent and will to correct a problem if it occours. We has booked two rooms for a previous stay one room was extremly small we went down to the front desk and immediatly they changed the room for us. We have been going to DC for several years now about 4 times a year and I would not stay anywhere but the Fairfax.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

I like the feel of this neighborhood, next to all the embassies in dc, two blocks from dupont circle. Very nice. The hotel is a nice mix of historic and modern, pretty good service. I would recommend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Saddleworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a 6 day trip to Washington DC. We stayed at the Fairfax Hotel on Embassy Row, which is close to Dupont Circle. The Hotel service was fantastic, our room was wonderful, but I found the bath plug did not work, so they immediately upgraded us and moved us to a bigger room with an outlook on to Massachusets Avenue, which was wonderful. The hotel decor is fantastic and your rooms are fully equipped with coffee etc. You get a complimentary morning newspaper. There is a fantastic gym for guests use. We had breakfast in the Jockey Club, which was not the cheapest breakfast, but is was fantastic food and service and set you up for a days sightseeing (so you only needed a coffee and cake in the afternoon, to see you through to dinner). We ate in the bar on two occasions which was lovely, but the portion sizes are far to big, we could have managed with one meal between us. We ate out locally on the other nights which was lovely also. You can find restaurants within walking distance, and if you want to go "down town" it is only a 15/20 minute stroll to the White House. Also if you don't want breakfast in the hotel, there is a wonderful French breakfast bar at Dupont Circle, less then 5 minutes away. If you are booking your visit in Washington DC through a travel agent and they try and get you to stay in one of the large chain hotels, ask them to book you in The Fairfax (which is what we did) it was absolutely fantastic, we would definitely return and advise it to anyone who wants, quality, peace and quiet, yet central location, good food, nice quiet bar. You won't be dissapointed!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

I don't think there's enough room here to describe everything that went wrong at my recent one-night business stay at the Fairfax. I'd stayed there before, and never had a problem, so this time was just inexcusably shocking. On the plus side, the location is great, two blocks from DuPont Circle and the Metro, right on Massachusetts Ave.

The Cons. First, the room. My colleague and I both got rooms in the same line; each room was about 150 square feet, if that, not including the tiny closets or the bathroom. It was ridiculously small, and not at all what was advertised and reserved. The bedsheets were stained, and the room was so tiny I had to stand in the bathroom so the maid had room to change the sheets after I complained. At least one of the bath care products had already been opened and presumably used. The front door was not properly aligned, so at night the tiny room was flooded with light from the hall.

Multiple complaints about the running toilet were ignored. The stick-on privacy glass on the bathroom was peeling off, revealing the same lovely view of the dumpsters in the alley below shared by the bedroom. Somehow the hotel also forgot to leave bottled water in my room or offer it to me, even though someone came around with a cart in the evening and offered it to everyone else (when I answered the door she only offered turn-down service and chocolate, not water). (They also forgot the ice bucket.) A number of the outlets were dead (explaining why it took the iron so long to warm up!!). One request to speak to the manager went unanswered; the other was met with annoyance and then feigned ignorance, and I was told to wait 10 minutes (I chose to depart).

However, to the hotel's substantial credit, once they were advised of all of my complaints (via written letter to the hotel and Starwood), they promptly called to apologize and tried to make it right. I was informed that meetings were held and the problems addressed so they should not re-occur. I'm almost afraid to give them another chance. But as I said above, this could have been a complete aberration, as my prior stays were uneventful and enjoyable, but a hotel of this class simply should not have that many aberrations. Thus, I can't recommend the hotel, but am hesitant to not recommend it, and so am checking "no" because TripAdvisor makes us choose one or the other.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

I have stayed at The Fairfax a few times over the past several years. I like it now more than ever. Just off DuPont Circle with lots of restaurants and nightlife, it is a quiet place to rest. All the staff are friendly. Never a line for the concierge, front desk, restaurant, bar with fireplace, or free 2 computer business center. Taxis abound.

Rooms are decorated in a traditional style with heavy drapes and thick carpeting, yet have 42 inch HDTV. Heat worked very well.I stayed in a suite which was lovely. Choice of one or more daily newspapers delivered to your room when you awaken is a nice touch. Wake up call is from a live person, not a machine.

I have stayed at the St. Regis, and the two Westin hotels in D.C, among many others, but this one is my local favorite.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

I arrived at the hotel in the evening after a flight from California only to be informed when I arrived at the hotel that they would not honor my confirmed and fully prepaid reservation; the said they had "overbooked". They admitted that they had known this the day before, but I had not been informed. They re-booked my into the Hilton, which is in the process of being renovated but would only pay for two days of the three day stay I had booked and paid for, insisting that i should return to them the third night. Of course, this was a business trip with every minute of my three night stay scheduled, and I had not scheduled time to move in between hotels - that was why I had booked three nights in the same hotel in the first place. The Hilton, where they sent me, was undergoing a massive renovation, and though my room there was certainly shiny and new, the fitness center was closed and all but one restaurant was closed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

Address: 2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008
#11 Best Value Hotel in Washington DC
#21 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#27 Family Hotel in Washington DC
#32 Business Hotel in Washington DC
#33 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel 4.5*
The Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel is a luxury accommodation in Dupont Circle by the White House, National Mall, and Lincoln Memorial. We have 259 guest roms, a grand ballroom, and several meeting rooms ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Orbitz, Amex, BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Fairfax At Embassy Row Hotel Washington Dc
Westin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Westin
Westin Embassy Row

If you own or manage The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.