“Great Location, Cordial Staff, and Possibly Good Perks for Platinums” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

You added The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Special Spring Savings
Ranked #34 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
cleveland
“Great Location, Cordial Staff, and Possibly Good Perks for Platinums”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

The Fairfax hotel delivers a reasonably luxurious experience in a great location in DC.
Here's what we experienced....
Pros:
- Great location near Dupont Circle and, if you are able-bodied, a good 20-25 minute walk to the middle of the mall or to Georgetown.
- Cordial, friendly, responsive staff (front desk, bell staff , phone operator/guest services)
- Excellent service in the Jockey Club restaurant; yeah it could be considered pricey.
- Very nice breakfast and breakfast service (full breakfast will run you around 50 bucks for 2)
- Older building with traditional interior if you are looking for a change of pace from modern design (we like modern but the traditional worked well considering the location)
- Nice bed linens and pilows
- Great water pressure and lots of hot water
- Nice soap/bathroom ameneties and huge superabsorbent bath towels
- GREAT acknowledgement of Platinum status SPG: we were fortunate to be upgraded to a nice 2 room suite on the 7th floor even though we used points for the entire stay. We received a very ample fruit basket and high end bottled water- delivered to the room
- Flat screen screens
- Relatively quiet part of town (our room was very quiet but we are not sure if those on lower floors get the street noise
- Walking distance to good restaurants and Starbucks (a block away)
- Functional Gym with new cardio equipment and a set of dumbells up to 50 pounds (it appears they had a complete set up to 65 based on the weight rack but the weights over 50 were missing)

Cons
- The bed was OK but it was definitely not a real pillow top. It was somewhat firm. The nice linens and pillows helped make it more comfortable. I slept pretty well even though I prefer pillowtops
- Housekeeping did a good job cleaning the room but we only got turn down service on 2 of the 4 nights we were there. When they did it, it was good (chocolates on pillow, slippers on a white mat next to the bed
- We received morning newspapers 2 out of the 4 nights
- 30 bucks a night for parking although that is actually pretty good for DC and the parking on street was hard to come by (but you can find more expensive valet charges in DC)

Someone paying $500 or more a night for a suite would probably have a problem with this uneveness in the turndown service and newspaper delivery but hopefully they are just breaking in some new housekeeping people.

The bottom line is that we enjoyed our stay and the smaller feel of this hotel and we would probably consider staying there again

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Turkish first
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I usually stay at the Four Seasons when I travel to Washington, so I felt some trepidation when my husband booked our family at the Fairfax Hotel. The Fairfax was having a special price on its nicely renovated rooms: pay full price the first night and pay your birthday the second night. We ended up with a comfortable, quiet suite for which we only paid $46 the second night; a great bargain! The service overall was attentive, friendly and solicitous without being overbearing, and the food at the much-revered Jockey Club was excellent. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel for a weekend stay for its nicely appointed rooms, superb service and excellent value for the money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

We were actually surprised at how nice the hotel was - our room was really clean, comfortable bed (no bedbugs!), great service. The hotel is located 5 minutes from Dupont Circle so it was super convenient to get around the city and to grab a bite to eat (also there is a Pain Quotidien situated right a round the corner from the hotel which great for breakfast). All and all, it was a worthwhile stay and we would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Well, I had high hopes for the Fairfax. I will say, it is in a nice area, the rooms are pretty and they have killer lemonade in the lobby. But that's about it.

My room (room 525) had an air conditioner duct in the closet. So every time the air conditoner would shut off, the duct would begin banging loudly. This happened all night, every time the air conditoner shut down. Needless to say, I got very little sleep. It sounded like someone banging on the door. So when I would finally get to sleep, the duct would bang and startle me awake again. The next morning at 9, I asked the front desk to move my family. I continously checked the status and FINALLY at 10 pm I got my new room that was much quieter. But did it really need to take 11 hours for them to find a new room? Also as an FYI, when I complained about the noise in the morning, I asked if they had heard of this issue before, they informed me "not from this room". So although I can tell you to stay away from room 525, it sounds like you may have this noise issue with other rooms too.

The other family we travelled with, also had a problem. At around 5 pm, they went back to their room to find it hadn't been cleaned. They notified the front desk and was told "housekeeping will get right to it." When they returned to their room at 10 pm, it still hadn't been cleaned- no towels, etc.

The rooms look nice, but just don't function well. As others mentioned, the coffee maker is on the bar area, but no place to plug it in unless you unplug the TV or move the coffee maker to the bathroom. Just not what you need in the morning when all you want is a cup of coffee!

So although it might look like a 5 star hotel, it surely doesn't run like a 5 star hotel. Find somewhere else to spend your money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Just stayed in the Fairfax. I had forgotten it was a former Westin, and a cab driver told me it was once a Ritz-Carlton. The location of the hotel is excellent. About a block off DuPont Circle and close to a Metro stop. The hotel lobby is small and not a lot of room to check-in when it is crowded. There are a lot of staff members working in the lobby- a bit too many. They are very helpful. However, when the valet thought I wasn't going to tip him he was a bit busk and when I asked if he was the valet that brought my car I got a "yeah." I think the hotel needs to continue training the staff, but they are very helpful and willing. I got an outstanding deal on SPG.com, so the room was on the small end. It was well appointed. The bed was comfortable and there was a nice flat screen. My coffee maker was in the room, but the desk lamp had an outlet so I did not have to move it. When I went to make coffee there was an old coffee filter in the basket. I did alert the front desk and the manager made a note of it. Again, the staff needs more training. As nice was the room was I too would not say this is at Luxury Collection level, but it is very nice. I have stayed in almost every Starwood hotel in DC, including the St. Regis, and this is certainly a nice hotel. I suspect the quality of the Jockey Club restaurant helps it with the rating; I did not try the restaurants. I did use the health club, which is fairly small. There were several cardio machines, but basically only a limited universal for weights. The cold bottled water, apples and cold wash clothes were a nice touch. If you want a nice casual meal- try Pizza Pomadoro. It is moving soon so check the address.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I just stayed here for two nights for my son's college orientation. Although I loved the location, and yes the hotel was comfortable, I would not say it deserves the Luxury rating. My room was nicely appointed with two queen beds, flat screen tv, etc. A coffee maker was in the room by the tv but I had to move it into the bathroom to be able to plug it in and use it. The two worst things were the view of the garbage area and my toilet was not clean when I first entered the room. Having 3 boys I just sucked it up and cleaned the spots myself but was not happy. I didn't try the restaurant or bar and maybe those are what bump up the rating, who knows.I enjoyed the Westin on M street much more.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Boca Raton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

The last time we were in DC we stayed at the Westin on Embassy Row - it was a little tired but still charming enough that we decided to stay there again during our 30 day road trip. When we heard it was changed to the Fairfax we were concerned it wouldn't be as nice as before but decided to take a chance anyway.
The hotel was completely renovated & is beyond beautiful - it's fabulous. the rooms are smaller then they were before - they have added more rooms - but the rooms have everything in them that anyone could want - including a tv & phones in the bathroom!
Also, a feature I always like - the sink & dressing table are in a separate room from the toilet & shower.
The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.
If I had to complain about anything it would be the cost of breakfast - too expensive.
Other then that, this is hotel I would strongly recommend when coming to DC - short walk to Dupont Circle & transportation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

Address: 2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008
#21 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#21 Family Hotel in Washington DC
#31 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
#34 Business Hotel in Washington DC
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel 4.5*
The Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel is a luxury accommodation in Dupont Circle by the White House, National Mall, and Lincoln Memorial. We have 259 guest roms, a grand ballroom, and several meeting rooms ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Starwood, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Fairfax At Embassy Row Hotel Washington Dc
Westin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Westin
Westin Embassy Row

If you own or manage The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.