“A great boutique-ish hotel with a perfect location for all” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

You added The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008 (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #41 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
“A great boutique-ish hotel with a perfect location for all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

I was looking for a room in DC on very busy week where many hotels were sold out or overpriced. I was able to locate a room at what appeared to be a nice hotel, The Fairfax. We had to pay a little more because rooms were in demand that week, which was okay for us given that other hotels were charging a lot more.

We arrived to a friendly and quick valet. The lobby was incredibly small with a club like decor. Front desk staff was pleasant and was able to upgrade us as SPG Gold. The elevators and corridors were also well appointed and tasteful. I did notice a nice lounge area and restaurant just off the lobby, which I assumed is where people relaxed instead of having a larger lobby area.

The room was set in the corner of the hotel and it was big compared to other DC hotels. Plenty of open space along with a sofa bed and coffee table. Decor matched the lobby as a classic club room style. Everything was clean and well positioned. One thing I didn't like was how tiny the bathroom was. It was unusually small which may of been because it was a corner room.

We had used the fitness center, which had a good selection of cardio machines but little in weights. Water, apples and cold towels were also available. Plus each machine had its own LCD TV and the room itself is available 24/7. All of which made for a nice hotel gym.

The location is in a great position of being close to The Mall and to Georgetown. We had a nice walk to the White House, which was pleasant the whole way with fountains and parks. We did not go to Georgetown this time but it was not far at all. The metro is just blocks away and there are plenty of places to eat and drink within short walking distance. We had taken a cab from around the White House and it was only $5. A very good location.

All around, this is a very good hotel. Don't expect any "out of your way" service from the hotel or luxurious appointments but given what the standard rate is, I would not expect that. This is great boutique hotel option.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

I was a guest for just one night at this property. I will state that overall, I had an excellent stay. The hotel exterior was nice, which fit in properly with the neighborhood. It is in the gorgeous Dupont Circle/ Embassy Row neighborhood. It is within easy walking distance to so many beautiful places in the city, as well as restaurants. It is a brisk 15-20 minute walk to the primary DC attractions and museums. However, the metro stop is close by.

As far as parking, we found street parking, which on weekends is readily free in the surrounding neighborhoods. It is certainly safe, and you can avoid the valet parking charge. The front desk staff left a little to be desired. Both at check in and check out, only one person staffed the small desk and there always seemed to be a unnecessary wait. They also didn't appear to be smiling and over friendly.

The interior decor was pleasant, the elevators always readily available, and the rooms were very well appointed. We were on the 6th Floor and had a one king bed standard room. It appeared to be newly renovated within the last two years. Everything was very clean and well taken care of. The size of the room was sufficient for a downtown hotel. There was one odd painted over attempt stain on the ceiling, but I'm not sure what that was from.

Now...why do I say...Great Hotel, but maybe not for the brand. I don't know what requirements there are for a Starwood hotel to make Starwoods luxury collection, but when you classify it into the "luxury collection", the word "luxury" can give you high expectations. I didn't feel the service defined "luxury". Another example, was that we had an interior room facing other rooms. Instead of the trash blown macadam below and the ugly roof, they could turn that into a beautiful garden or outdoor oasis. That would define "luxury"

Of course, I did receive a wonderful Travelzoo rate, and for the price I paid, there would be no complaints. I'm just not sure that if you book under a regular rate, you would classify this as part of the "luxury collection"

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

My girlfriend and I decided on a last minute trip to DC at the beginning of April. The Fairfax seemed like good value and in a great location. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon at 2:15, and were told that our room was not availabe to check in. We left our two bags and my Ralph Lauren coat with the bellman, and went out to enjoy the day. When we returned I asked for our things to be brought to the room. My two bags arrived, but not my coat. They said that it must have been misplaced and said someone would bring it up. 1 hour went by and it was time for us to go out so I went to reception to ask what was going on. Nobody knew of my coat, the desk manager had simply chosen to go home and not bother to tell anyone about the missing coat. Having no choice, I was forced to go out in just my shirt. The next day it was fairly certain that my coat was missing, so the security manager took my details and promised that someone would get back to me.... nobody did. I had to spend my time repeatedly chasing up the hotel manager to get a response. Finally someone from the insurance company got in touch with me, and I was forced to settle for less than the coat was worth. To date, nobody from the hotel has apologised. I had a couple of single line emails from the manager to let me know that the insurance company would get back to me, but nothing apart from that. Not one person has said sorry or even tried to explain how they managed to lose a $500 coat that they had to look after for less than 4 hours.

This is honestly the worst customer service experience I have ever had with any business. The hotel itself seemed OK, and the location was great..but I would really question whether to stay in a hotel that treats customers this poorly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We stayed with two toddlers. We did not expect the Hotel to be kid friendly, so we were not disappointed. We would stay again. It took the valet 1 hour to find my car the first morning. I recommend getting up early, have them bring you your car, and then park it on the street. It is impossible to get your car in a timely manner during checkout times.
Other than paying for slow valet service, we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel.

Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Just got back from spending 3 nights at this lovely property. I had called ahead requesting an early check in and was told they would do their best to accomodate. This is the first time in many, many years that I have not been able to get an early check in after traveling from the West Coast to the East Coast on a red eye flight. Even though the front desk staff was very kind, they still were unable to fulfill my request. I had hoped to get into my room around 9:30 a.m. and was told the earliest would be 1:00. Thankfully the room was ready at 1:00 when they said it would be.

The two queen bed room was very nice - we did face the street and there was traffic noise during the day, but the evening was fine for sleeping. We were located directly across from the elevator and the ice machine, but this didn't cause any problems for sleeping either. There was hall noise and I could hear coughing in the next room, which was more than I would expect in a luxury property. But nothing that was overly distracting.

We had room service on two occassions and the service was timely and the presentation exceptional. The food was outstanding!

One disappointment was that the room was never serviced on one day - we had left at 9:00 in the morning and returned around 4:30 in the afternoon - by that time it really didn't matter -- we wanted to take a nap and not be disturbed.

The property is only about 2 blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro station, making it very easy to get around town. And there are all kinds of restaurants, etc. within walking distance.

Westchester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Family of four vacation during busy cherry blossom season. Big, clean room with sofa, large TV and desk. Newly renovated bathroom and lobby. Great location near the Metro and fun to walk around Embassy Row and see the magnificent architecture which maybe you wouldn't otherwise visit. Asked the Concierge for tickets to museums and he was helpful. Cannot imagine a better value. First class hotel and highly recommended. If with teenagers try Pizza Paradiso and Two Amys Pizza for high class pizza dinner. Founding Farmers for breakfast a little out of the way but worth the trip for organic big breakfast and great coffee. ($$)

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Good hotel, worth staying at if you get a decent price (eg $200 or less). The rooms are recently renovated, the beds extremely comfortable, and the location is superb. That said, the rooms are on the small side (the bed occupies almost the entire standard room).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel

Address: 2100 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20008
#21 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#28 Business Hotel in Washington DC
#31 Family Hotel in Washington DC
#36 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel 4.5*
The Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel is a luxury accommodation in Dupont Circle by the White House, National Mall, and Lincoln Memorial. We have 259 guest roms, a grand ballroom, and several meeting rooms ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Fairfax At Embassy Row Hotel Washington Dc
Westin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Westin
Westin Embassy Row

If you own or manage The Fairfax at Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.