Starwood and the Luxury Collection have really stepped up their game with this property. My stay was three nights right as the Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom. The new SPG iPhone app showed my room type (upgraded) three days before check-in...which was pretty great.
- Was upgraded to a Deluxe Suite which was incredibly spacious, comfortable and functional---big bathroom, big desk, TVs in both rooms. Room was clean and well kept. Towels in the bathroom are super soft and huge.
- They use Remede toiletries which is the same as Starwood's most upscale brand (really awesome stuff). Get a couple of sets to take with you for use at other hotels.
- Staff is incredibly accommodating, professional and on-point. One morning I asked concierge for collar stays. None. Later that day he stopped me as they had gone to Brooks Bros to stock up.
- Old school charm (dark woods, florals) that I like every-so-often.
- Strong WiFi (although at a cost for everyone other than Platinum members)
- Great area of town - steps from Metro, tons of wonderful restaurants and a CVS.
- AC is strong and gets cold (for those of use who like that).
- I can see how light sleepers may have some trouble. Being in a major urban area, there's a lot of noise, but the windows could use re-sealing.
Areas of Improvement:
- Pillows are mega soft feather. If you really need a supportive foam pillow, bring it yourself (bc they don't have it).
- While I appreciate the "complimentary continental breakfast"...it's really underwhelming here. For $10 extra, you can get full breakfast which adds only watery eggs, potatoes and bacon sausage. Not worth it.
- Wine reception on Tues for Gold/Platinum members. They could really take this up several notches to make the frequent stayers feel at home.
One last piece of advice. Lock your hotel door when you're in your room. Specifically, know that they have a great turndown service. Let's say, maybe, you're taking a shower in your room and you've neglected to lock the door (and/or put up privacy sign). If you're in the shower, and you're startled by a noise in your room, you may step out of shower to check out said noise...and there may (just may) be a maid in the room turning down your bed. Oh my stars!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
October 22, 2013
Your review has certainly made us smile and we appreciate you taking the time to share with everyone exactly the areas that made your stay at The Fairfax at Embassy Row so enjoyable. It is our goal to create the most memorable experiences for our guests and going the extra step to ensure their needs are met is our priority. We’re thrilled that you acknowledged the efforts of our staff. We also appreciate the fact that you alerted us to areas that need improvement and we will discuss with management the best ways for us to continue to elevate the experience for our guests. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for another great stay and we thank you for your gracious review.
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.