I stayed here for 6 months while working in DC. The hotel is an excellent business hotel and popular with diplomats who work in the area -- the hotel is located just next door to the Indonesian embassy.
I have rated this hotel 5 stars primarily because of its service. As someone who stays in hotels all the time (especially SPG ones), the one thing I get tired of the most is being treated as a commodity instead of an individual -- especially when I visit every week. The Fairfax staff was what made the difference for me, from the folks behind the front desk to the housekeeper who cleaned my room. I was really thankful they put the extra effort into taking care of me while I was away from home. In particular, Waqas was truly welcoming -- he knew my name by my second stay and never forgot it.
Other things great about this hotel:
- Location: the property is conveniently located just a block or so from Dupont Circle. Not the best place for food (restaurants are only so-so nearby), but I would recommend Shop House, which is fast and delicious
- Rooms: a tad ornate, but I like the bed a lot. TVs are also relatively new and very nice.
- Size: this is a relatively small hotel, so you never have to wait too long to check-in or for the elevator
Things that could be better (i.e. me nitpicking):
- Bathroom amenities: smell a bit too medicinal for my taste
- Gym: solid, but small and nothing to write home about